Journalism?

04 May 2011 16:02 #11 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Journalism?

SS109 wrote: It is interesting to see how many people in special forces have advanced degrees, much higher than the national average.

I would be interested in seeing your source for stats. Can't speak for the other branches but the Navy puts a premium on degrees for all personnel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2011 16:12 #12 by Blazer Bob
Military recruiting always does better in a bad economy.

"More than two years out of college, Ben Harris finds himself working in a chicken-finger place and living with his parents in Hilliard.

This is not what he expected as a double major in political science and communications at Ohio State University. He would like to be an educational ranger in the National Park Service, or possibly a political journalist.

He's gone so far as to volunteer as a Statehouse tour guide to juice his resume, but no job he wants has come through.

So he's turning to a place that does have jobs to fit his interests. He is joining the military."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

04 May 2011 16:18 #13 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Journalism?
The military is a good venue to help you grow up and gain skills.

04 May 2011 16:26 #14 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Journalism?

residenttroll wrote: It's interesting the weight liberals put on a piece of paper.... experience counts far beyond any piece of paper on the wall. This is example how the elitist believe you need some degree or advance degree to be productive and successful in your career... it's pitiful that we make individuals suffer thought colllege debt and education for careers that really don't require a degree.....

That is your take on the subject. Experience counts didili squat if your experience is not in the field requiring a particular expertise. No one mentioned anything about requiring a degree to be productive and successful in your career. However since you brought it up. If you chose a career as a geologist in the oil industry, it would be most difficult for you to be successful or very productive beyond the elementary level after years of sponging (getting the education you passed up to get formally) off experts in the field. No one is making any individual suffer through college, much less incur debt for anything. Once again that is you putting words in someone else's mouth. I certainly do not consider myself a liberal, or for that matter a conservative, as your political pursuation is totally irrelevant when it comes to education. I find your assertions are thoughtless at best and belittling of anyone who elects to get an education. No one is forcing anyone. There is always a choice, something you would like to deny.

And as far as journalism goes, I'd like to see someone without some formal education do a respectable job writing. We see lots of writing skills on this forum and most would fare poorly as journalists. Hell some can't even spell or be bothered with spell checker, much less write a complete sentence. Writing well is very difficult and even when you think you have written something well enough so it can't possibly be misinterpreted, you discover this to be a fallacy.

04 May 2011 16:45 #15 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Journalism?

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

residenttroll wrote: It's interesting the weight liberals put on a piece of paper.... experience counts far beyond any piece of paper on the wall. This is example how the elitist believe you need some degree or advance degree to be productive and successful in your career... it's pitiful that we make individuals suffer thought colllege debt and education for careers that really don't require a degree.....

That is your take on the subject. Experience counts didili squat if your experience is not in the field requiring a particular expertise. No one mentioned anything about requiring a degree to be productive and successful in your career. However since you brought it up. If you chose a career as a geologist in the oil industry, it would be most difficult for you to be successful or very productive beyond the elementary level after years of sponging (getting the education you passed up to get formally) off experts in the field. No one is making any individual suffer through college, much less incur debt for anything. Once again that is you putting words in someone else's mouth. I certainly do not consider myself a liberal, or for that matter a conservative, as your political pursuation is totally irrelevant when it comes to education. I find your assertions are thoughtless at best and belittling of anyone who elects to get an education. No one is forcing anyone. There is always a choice, something you would like to deny.

And as far as journalism goes, I'd like to see someone without some formal education do a respectable job writing. We see lots of writing skills on this forum and most would fare poorly as journalists. Hell some can't even spell or be bothered with spell checker, much less write a complete sentence. Writing well is very difficult and even when you think you have written something well enough so it can't possibly be misinterpreted, you discover this to be a fallacy.

:like:

No, one certainly does not need an advanced degree in order to be successful, nor does having one mean that you are out of touch with society. But, there are certainly fields in which you will have a difficult time if you don't get additional knowledge and skills.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 May 2011 16:52 #16 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Journalism?

Rockdoc Franz wrote: [ Writing well is very difficult .

:thumbsup:

Indeed it is.

04 May 2011 16:56 #17 by OmniScience
Replied by OmniScience on topic Journalism?
[quote="Rockdoc Fran
We see lots of writing skills on this forum and most would fare poorly as journalists. Hell some can't even spell or be bothered with spell checker, much less write a complete sentence. [/quote]

This can easily be said for many of the 'jounalists' on common media websites. The amount of mis-speelings and improper use of words is quite common. Sometimes I wonder if they proof-read anything, or simply don't bother because they want to get it on their site as soon as possible.

04 May 2011 17:16 - 04 May 2011 23:19 #18 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Journalism?

OmniScience wrote: [quote="Rockdoc Fran
We see lots of writing skills on this forum and most would fare poorly as journalists. Hell some can't even spell or be bothered with spell checker, much less write a complete sentence.

This can easily be said for many of the 'jounalists' on common media websites. The amount of mis-speelings and improper use of words is quite common. Sometimes I wonder if they proof-read anything, or simply don't bother because they want to get it on their site as soon as possible.[/quote]

This is a valid point and well taken. Perhaps these are the same people I saw coming though college unable to write a complete sentence while I was teaching there? It was appalling then and is now. While ending sentences in a preposition was something we were schooled never to do, the times seem to be changing. Now instead of saying "Where is it?" many including journalists insist on saying "Where is it at?" The addition of at is totally superfluous, grammatically incorrect and to my ears sounds stupid too.

04 May 2011 22:51 #19 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Journalism?
I need to be in bed, but I can't pass this up.

One of my biggest peeves is the media's misuse (IMO) of tense. For example, xxx was killed after the car crash.

Sheesh, wasn't it bad enough to be in a crash, then something after that killed you?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

04 May 2011 22:52 #20 by Blazer Bob
xxx was killed by an SUV.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds