Perhaps it should be named USS Karl Marx

18 May 2011 17:05 #11 by Blazer Bob
I suspect this congressman has his head stuck up his a** and any Marine would be insulted to have his name on a USNS ship. But that is just me, I hated those pukes.

Nmysys wrote: It's a kiss-up to the Hispanic community to garner votes, no matter what the article says.

House of Representatives
Congressman Prefers Fallen Marine as Name on Navy Cargo Vessel

By Stephen Clark

Published May 18, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Print
Email

Marine Corps Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who died in Iraq, has been mentioned as an alternative to Cesar Chavez for the name of a cargo ship under construction in San Diego. (U.S. Marines via AP)

Marine Corps Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who died in Iraq, has been mentioned as an alternative to Cesar Chavez for the name of a cargo ship under construction in San Diego. (U.S. Marines via AP)

The Navy's decision to name a cargo ship now under construction after labor activist Cesar Chavez has drawn sharp criticism from one veteran lawmaker who says that a military war hero should receive the honor instead.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, said he understands the Navy's desire to honor Hispanic leaders, but the Navy may want to skip the politically divisive names and opt for an outstanding service member.

"If this decision were about recognizing the Hispanic community's contribution to our nation, many other names come to mind, including Marine Corps Sergeant Rafael Peralta, who was nominated for the Medal of Honor for action in Iraq. Peralta is one of many Hispanic war heroes -- some of whom are worthy of the same recognition," said Hunter, a Reserve lieutenant in the Marines who says he was informed of the decision by Navy officials Tuesday

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/18/congressman-blasts-navy-naming-ship-cesar-chavez/#ixzz1MkQe8tNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 May 2011 17:07 #12 by pineinthegrass
Here's a list of the names of the other cargo ships in that class...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_and_Clark_class_dry_cargo_ship

Some military leaders, some astronauts, even Amelia Earhart who I don't think ever served in the military. Hey there is even one named after Matthew Perry! OK, not THAT Matthew Perry. Not sure I see a pattern (or tradition) to the names chosen.

I'm surprised the article didn't complain about the Medgar Evers (or did it?). Well, at least he was a WWII vet.

18 May 2011 17:09 #13 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote:

Nmysys wrote: It's a kiss-up to the Hispanic community to garner votes, no matter what the article says.

Why would the Navy be kissing up to the hispanic community, unless they are looking to attract more hispanic Navy recruits? What kind of hispanic votes would the Navy get anyway?

Any kissing up that the Navy does and it does kiss up, is all about money.

18 May 2011 17:11 #14 by Nmysys
We spend way too much effort, time, and money glorifying each different culture instead of glorifying The American Dream IMO.

18 May 2011 17:13 #15 by pineinthegrass
There is also the Sacagawea...

named for Sacagawea, the Shoshone woman who acted as guide and interpreter for the Lewis and Clark Expedition, and one of the few United States Navy ships named for women.

18 May 2011 17:14 #16 by archer

neptunechimney wrote: Any kissing up that the Navy does and it does kiss up, is all about money.

Then they are probably targeting the wrong demographic.......maybe they should name it Exxon

18 May 2011 17:28 #17 by pineinthegrass
I'd like to propose that the Navy name one of those deep diving robot subs they have the "Bin Laden". :wink:

18 May 2011 17:40 #18 by Rick

pineinthegrass wrote: I'd like to propose that the Navy name one of those deep diving robot subs they have the "Bin Laden". :wink:

Now that I would agree with :like:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 May 2011 18:07 #19 by pchistory

archer wrote:

Why would the Navy be kissing up to the hispanic community, unless they are looking to attract more hispanic Navy recruits? What kind of hispanic votes would the Navy get anyway?

""We suggested the name Cesar Chavez for the ship because we're in Barrio Logan and want to be good neighbors, and we want to show respect for our workers," said James Gill, a NASSCO spokesman.

About 60 percent of NASSCO's 3,600 employees are Hispanic.

Over the past decade, NASSCO has been building dry cargo ships for use by the Navy's Military Sealift Command. All of the ships are named after explorers or people who were pioneers in their fields. The names of the other 13 ships are:

Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea , Alan Shepard, Richard E. Byrd, Robert E. Peary, Amelia Earhart, Carl Brashear, Wally Schirra, Matthew Perry, Charles Drew, Washington Chambers, William McLean, Medgar Evers.

The newest vessel in this line will be the first to be named after a Mexican-American. "

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... ar-chavez/

http://www.nassco.com/

18 May 2011 18:19 #20 by LadyJazzer
"Medgar Evers"?!?!??!

God, that will send the racists over the edge... (As if Chavez wasn't enough already.)

Is the hair on the back of your knuckles already rising, CriticalBill, NmySys?

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds