GOP Slash Food Aid For Low-Income Women And Children

16 Jun 2011 09:47 #61 by Rick

Nobody that matters wrote:

CriticalBill wrote: You really want Washington to dictate the way states govern themselves? Do you really feel like the relatively small number of geniuses in Washington know what is best for each state? You can't be that dumb. Can you?

Can be and is. There are actually people out there that still believe the federal government in it's current form is intelligent enough to make a good decision.

Agreed, they think that because these people (flawed like the rest of us) were elected to office, that somehow gives them super intellectual powers to solve problems, even though many of them have no experience in doing so. At least at the state level, we peasants have a little louder voice and our votes are actually worth a little more.

(sorry to stray off topic)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2011 09:58 #62 by LadyJazzer
Doesn't change the fact: You gotta love that people making $750,000/year are still able to feed at the public tit and get government handouts while WIC programs that help women and children with nutrition get cut...

That's entertaining too, in a Party-of-Selfish, "let them eat cake" sort of way...

(Sorry to bring it back ON topic...)

16 Jun 2011 11:11 #63 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: Doesn't change the fact: You gotta love that people making $750,000/year are still able to feed at the public tit and get government handouts while WIC programs that help women and children with nutrition get cut...

That's entertaining too, in a Party-of-Selfish, "let them eat cake" sort of way...

(Sorry to bring it back ON topic...)

FRY THE PORK BELLIED BASS TURDS FROM BOTH PARTIES!

and then find someone that gives a toot about azaleas and let them grow 'em in a private garden at their own expense.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

16 Jun 2011 13:57 #64 by archer

PrintSmith wrote: Democrat Senate refusal to cut $5Billion in ethanol subsidies is. You gotta love regressive logic - it's really quite entertaining.

Would you care to comment on your criticism of the democratic senate now?

WASHINGTON—The Senate voted Thursday to repeal a $6 billion tax credit for ethanol producers, a move that could signal the end of some federal subsidies as part of an eventual budget and debt-ceiling compromise.

Most Democrats and a number of Republicans supported an end to the subsidy, in a 73-27 vote. The subsidy gives refiners a 45-cent-a-gallon tax credit for blending ethanol into gasoline and has been a factor behind higher corn prices in recent years. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R., Iowa), a longtime supporter of the credit, objected to the measure that would end the subsidy.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... sj_gadgv1&

16 Jun 2011 16:51 #65 by Local_Historian

SS109 wrote: Food aid for low income women and children? The same people who have obesity issues?

So are we not keeping people fed or keeping them too fed?

You can educate the hell out of peeople, but if they do NOT have the money to buy the good groceries, they will buy what they can. Education is pointless and useless if there is no way to implement it.

Fruits and veggies - the fresh stuff - cost a lot of money. I can talk case in point from yesterday - one tomato -cost $3. One can of ravioli - $1. Fresh meats, lean cuts - 1.5 lbs - $12. 1 lb Tube of 73% lean burger - $3. Whole grain bread - $5. Cheapy white bread - 99 cents. I could have gone cheapy carb filled crap, and walked out with 5 bags of stuff for under $25 - under $15 if I'd made an effort. As it was, I walked out with 5 bags at $84 - mainly fresh veggies and fruit.

Seeing the difference yet?

Let me also point out that buying 5 bags of the cheapy carbo filled stuff would feed a family of four for a week. What I bought is already half gone - the only thing that will last through the weekend is the apples and bananas. If you only have $25 for a week - do you feed the family for that week, or do you buy stuff that will last for a day only?

Also, when you do not eat regularly, your body stores up the fats to keep you from dying. Ever look at the homeless people in downtown? Lots look healthy, but are far from it.

So, people are sometimes eating, but not anywhere near where they should be to be healthy. These are the same folks always in the emergency rooms for illnesses healthy people can easily defeat without getting ill.

I once offered a homeless guy a can of raviolis and an apple - he took the apple, because, as he said - he never gets those. Left the can of ravioli. That right there makes a point with me.

17 Jun 2011 09:23 #66 by ComputerBreath
LH: I've seen articles about exactly what you wrote. Furthermore, the "poor" of the country, as they tend to be less healthy 'cuz they don't eat as healthy as the more well-off do, they also do not exercise nor do they see the dr as much as those that can afford it better...and this is self-perpetuating...it is what the children are taught so it is largely what they do when they reach adult-hood.

I would be real curious to know if any studies have been done as to the effect of the kind of stress these people go through and what it does to the body? More stress leads to more storing of fat and could lead to more depression which leads to less exercise which leads to a less healthy body and mind (and the circle goes on and on).

17 Jun 2011 09:28 #67 by LadyJazzer
I love conservative "blame the victim" mythology... I could sit and watch it for hours...

17 Jun 2011 10:07 #68 by FredHayek
I do want to give congrats to the Senators who voted against extending the ethanol subsidies. About F'ing time!

Might just lower the costs of the healthier foodstuffs.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds