Mc Donalds regulated into fewer fries & adds Apples

29 Jul 2011 10:41 - 29 Jul 2011 10:44 #1 by BearMtnHIB
Well we all knew it wouldn't take long for government to start regulating our choices for food, those nasty tabacco companies were OK to regulate- and we knew that someday the nanny state would start telling us what and how to eat- here it is, Mc Donalds caves into pressure by "pending regulations"

Here's the next step folks......They will cut back on the fries for ya- and add in some apples you never asked for.
With the government involved in everyones health care, there will be more and more of this kind of thing!
Can't wait to see what they all come up with next, and next, and next.

The move from McDonald's came after San Francisco and nearby Santa Clara County, California, passed laws that would curb free toy giveaways with kids' meals that did not meet nutritional requirements.

"Without the looming prospect of regulation in cities and states around the country, McDonald's would not have taken as seriously the concerns that the public health community and parents have been sharing with them about this issue," said Samantha Graff, director of legal research at Public Health Law & Policy, which drafted the models for the ordinances eventually adopted in Santa Clara County and San Francisco.

Don't worry- the government know what's best for us all!
http://news.yahoo.com/mcdonalds-happy-meals-apples-fewer-fries-145307231.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2011 10:42 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
Wonder why they don't reduce the cost. You are getting less.

29 Jul 2011 10:47 #3 by Rick
So then kids will say "mommy, I want more fries!", then mom drops another dollar or two on a side of fries and McDonalds makes even more $$$...Brilliant!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

29 Jul 2011 10:51 #4 by Martin Ent Inc

29 Jul 2011 11:00 #5 by LadyJazzer
Soooo, parents are only allowed to buy "Happy Meals"? They can't order a hamburger & fries for Junior? Those evil gov't bastards!!

29 Jul 2011 11:02 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
Government should keep Ronald McDonald away from the food, and kids.

29 Jul 2011 11:02 #7 by 2wlady
While I don't want meal choices regulated by the government, McDonald's was paying lip service to "healthier" kids' meals. Why? Because the default was to get fries to the meal, instead of the McDonald's worker asking, "fries or apples?" McD's has them trained to ask about everything else, so why not that? Then I would have believed McD's was actually sincere.

I like that public pressure has forced them to put both in the meal. I don't like that it took gov. regulation to get McD's and other corps. to take some responsibility. I get that they are a hamburger place and that is their main focus.

But when I was on the road for the past two weeks and our choices of fast food were limited, let's face it. I wanted a salad and McD's salads are pretty bad. I thought I was getting a "healthy" meal by choosing an Angus wrap, but when I got it, discovered it was a hamburger in a tortilla. I didn't even see the chicken wraps because they were in much smaller print beneath the Angus wraps.

Corporate America wants to run the country their way and take away citizens' rights. They are working very hard to do so. That U.S. Chamber of Commerce was a real eye-opener for me. Whenever anyone hears it, they should immediately change it to "U.S. Corporations PAC to fill judgeships and undermine the rights of citizens to benefit corporations."

You nuts who support this want no laws/regulations to keep corporations' from trammeling on the rights of citizens, but are fully OK with passing laws/regulations that protect corporations, such as those secret mandatory arbitration agreements and tort reform, to name a few.

You find a few lawsuits that you consider frivolous and use that as your "valid" argument for tort reform. What a bunch of bull hockey.

29 Jul 2011 11:10 #8 by RenegadeCJ
2wlady,
I've ordered happy meals, and they ask fries or apples now. The difference being, now if you want fries, you have to buy an extra pack.

I'm tired of the govt deciding what is "good" for you. Leave it up to the parents. Nannyism at it's worst.

You use a straw man saying we "nuts" want "NO" regulations. Wrong. I just don't want stupid regulations such as these. I also don't want govt. telling daycare's what type of doll or specific # of crayons they can have. I don't think you should have to have a doctors note to give to the provider to allow them to give your kid whole milk.

Personal responsibility people. Why do you think so many kids are screwed up??

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

29 Jul 2011 11:20 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
Kids, look at the parents. If they aren't told how, when, what to do they can't raise em.

29 Jul 2011 11:41 #10 by 2wlady
I order Happy Meals and NO ONE has EVER asked me whether I want fries or apples.

Strawmen? I think not. I am referring to those who bring up platitudes such as "nanny state." Any time I hear those trite phrases, from left or right, I don't take the ranting seriously, since it is "alarmist."

You will get fries and apples with your meal with the change McDonald's is instituting. I think it's a good compromise. The kids get some extremely salty, greasy fries (and they ARE good) and some apple slices. If McDonald's had shown more concern on this, earlier, then a regulation wouldn't be required. As LJ said, if you're so concerned, you can get around it by buying small fries and a regular hamburger and buy the toy separately.

And what, besides this, is a "stupid" regulation in your opinion? Anything that upsets corporate America?

MEI, the parents today were raised by my generation. Don't know what generation you are in, but my grandchildren are good, well-behaved kids who are also free spirits Are you saying all parents today do not have your wonderful parent skills?

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds