Mc Donalds regulated into fewer fries & adds Apples

29 Jul 2011 11:45 #11 by AspenValley
I don't think the government should tell companies like McDonalds what to sell, but I do wish we could stop these companies from marketing so heavily to children. When my son was just two or three, he would nag me mercilessly for a Happy Meal. I'm not even sure how he knew they existed, since the only TV he was allowed to watch were two or three carefully selected kid shows with no commercials. And we watched no TV otherwise in the house until he was asleep in bed.

If I didn't know better, I'd think they insert programming chips into kids to want this crap right at the hospital before you take them home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2011 16:05 #12 by ShilohLady
When I was seeing my grandson more often, I would order whichever main dish he wanted (chicken or cheeseburger) with apple dippers and apple juice... it's been an option for many years!

29 Jul 2011 19:24 #13 by Wily Fox aka Angela
WHERE are y'all getting information that this was a result of gov't regulation? IT WAS NOT... It was just McDonald's deciding that it was in their best interest to participate in offering healthier choices for a growing population of obese children (and adults) in this country. I applaud them for that as they have been part of the problem.

29 Jul 2011 20:04 #14 by navycpo7

2wlady wrote: I order Happy Meals and NO ONE has EVER asked me whether I want fries or apples.

Strawmen? I think not. I am referring to those who bring up platitudes such as "nanny state." Any time I hear those trite phrases, from left or right, I don't take the ranting seriously, since it is "alarmist."

You will get fries and apples with your meal with the change McDonald's is instituting. I think it's a good compromise. The kids get some extremely salty, greasy fries (and they ARE good) and some apple slices. If McDonald's had shown more concern on this, earlier, then a regulation wouldn't be required. As LJ said, if you're so concerned, you can get around it by buying small fries and a regular hamburger and buy the toy separately.

And what, besides this, is a "stupid" regulation in your opinion? Anything that upsets corporate America?

MEI, the parents today were raised by my generation. Don't know what generation you are in, but my grandchildren are good, well-behaved kids who are also free spirits Are you saying all parents today do not have your wonderful parent skills?

Well why couldn"t the parents ask for apples. Its thier kids, its thier respondsibility, they are deciding what thier kids are eating. So now the government is going to tell McD what they have to do because some parents poor choices or lack of choice. So now they won't have a choice. Remember, they start small and get bigger. Whats next.

29 Jul 2011 20:22 #15 by Wily Fox aka Angela
THE GOV'T DID NOT REGULATE ANYTHING... where the hell are you guys getting this idea???????

29 Jul 2011 21:11 #16 by LOL
They need a happy meal for guys, a quarter pounder and a pitcher of beer! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Jul 2011 06:18 #17 by navycpo7
Joe when I was in Germany, (don't know if it is still happening) we could go to the McD and order a meal package and get a beer. That has been awhile though.

30 Jul 2011 06:47 #18 by Rockdoc
Complain about corporate America all you want. There is no pleasing everyone. Corporations respond to consumer demands not vice versa. They may introduce new products with the risk they will fail. Apple had a few of those technological ideas that were ahead of their time or simply not viable products as they discovered by the public ignoring them. The same can be said about the food industry. If you don't like the product, no one is FORCING you to buy it. You have a choice. When you go to a restaurant don't you normally determine what you want to eat by looking over the menu? If you fail to see items on the menu, you are going to blame McDonalds. Yep, you made the coffee too hot and burned myself upon spilling it. You need to make the coffee more temperate. BS. Take responsibility for yourself. Don't need more frigin moronic legislation that takes away my choice of what I want. Good grief.

30 Jul 2011 06:53 #19 by Rockdoc

AspenValley wrote: I don't think the government should tell companies like McDonalds what to sell, but I do wish we could stop these companies from marketing so heavily to children. When my son was just two or three, he would nag me mercilessly for a Happy Meal. I'm not even sure how he knew they existed, since the only TV he was allowed to watch were two or three carefully selected kid shows with no commercials. And we watched no TV otherwise in the house until he was asleep in bed.

If I didn't know better, I'd think they insert programming chips into kids to want this crap right at the hospital before you take them home.

LOL Right. Leave the choice to families. If you chose to go to McDonalds, then don't bitch about it. If we didn't support them, they would not sell what they do. Simple.

Interesting question about the program chip insertion. Now were that a real and corporate sponsored, then we need regulation BIG time. lol

30 Jul 2011 06:57 #20 by LOL

Take responsibility for yourself.

LOL, I hear you Doc. That is a foreign concept to a majority now days.

As for this not being an official regulation, there is plenty going on behind the scenes and in media to pressure corporations to make these changes. And its not coming from consumers.

I think most restaurants serve way too big of portions, so we always "choose" to split a meal and share and save money. I don't ask government to regulate portion sizes for me, I adapt.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds