Dow down 512 points today and over 1200 in the last 10 days

05 Aug 2011 12:24 #101 by FredHayek
Will this sell off help tax receipts or hurt? Some of the people dumping right now are going to have to pay capital gains on their profits. But looks like a lot more wealth is being lost, 4% yesterday and how bad for the week?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2011 12:34 #102 by chickaree
If stocks have dropped there aren't profits so no capital gains. I wouldn't buy funds. I don't trust fund managers. I research and pick my own stocks. Even if the price on a good stock drops the stock itself is secure and will recover.

05 Aug 2011 12:34 #103 by PrintSmith

WayneH wrote: I blame it all on special interests able to give bucketloads of money to lawmakers. Why listen to your constituency when you're bought and paid for by lobbyists.

That is the single best argument against having a national government, isn't it Wayne. One entity in charge of all governing inevitably becomes corrupt and despotic, something the writers of the Constitution knew and understood. Is it any wonder as we take more and more steps towards the DC government becoming a national government instead of a federal one that it becomes more corrupt with every step taken in that direction? It's not a coincidence Wayne, it happens every time.

05 Aug 2011 14:23 #104 by FredHayek

chickaree wrote: If stocks have dropped there aren't profits so no capital gains. I wouldn't buy funds. I don't trust fund managers. I research and pick my own stocks. Even if the price on a good stock drops the stock itself is secure and will recover.

All depends on when you bought into the stock on if you have capital gains.
The market has risen much faster in the last 18 months than I think it should have, so some people are making paper profits, like Apple shareholders.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds