Republican Ice Age?

25 Jun 2010 15:34 #21 by Residenttroll returns
A lot is doubtful. I know of two Census workers who were not on unemployment. I know three on unemployment who applied and didn't get the jobs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jun 2010 15:43 #22 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Republican Ice Age?

residenttroll wrote: A lot is doubtful. I know of two Census workers who were not on unemployment. I know three on unemployment who applied and didn't get the jobs.

Not a surprising post coming from you....when you are shown to be wrong you call the other poster a liar. SOP for you.

My brother, Viet Nam vet, 3 tours, Army major retired, and helicoptor pilot does not make stuff up.

25 Jun 2010 17:36 #23 by Residenttroll returns

archer wrote:

residenttroll wrote: A lot is doubtful. I know of two Census workers who were not on unemployment. I know three on unemployment who applied and didn't get the jobs.

Not a surprising post coming from you....when you are shown to be wrong you call the other poster a liar. SOP for you.

My brother, Viet Nam vet, 3 tours, Army major retired, and helicoptor pilot does not make stuff up.

Didn't call you're brother a liar....I said I was doubtful that many of the census workers were unemployment benefit individuals. Why work for an extra $ 200 per week when you can stay at home and collect? Did you know that in Washington DC the unemployed get the most than any state at nearly $ 425 per week?

25 Jun 2010 22:12 #24 by BaconLover
Replied by BaconLover on topic Republican Ice Age?

Science Chic wrote: (I was originally a Republican, then a Dem, but am now registered as an Independent)

Labels when they have a negative connotation are bad. They serve to divide us, espically when they are taken to the extremes. Is liberal really a bad thing all the time? What's wrong with being conservative in certain areas? I think America has been under the two-party system so long we've forgotten where the middle ground is. Our lables draw lines in the sand which people are afraid to cross, the extreme views are the loudest and attract the most media attention. While healthy debate is good republicans and democratic politicians don't listen to each other, they just state the "party line".

You're post serves to group people as Republicans or Democrats. We should view ourselves as Americans. While the idea of all of us focusing on our common needs versus our seperate needs is utopian, I think we have become too polarized. My wish for the republican party: for it to go away. Same for the Democrats.

Hey, what is scientific about politics? Aside from how they can declare a winner with 0.01% of the vote in... :-)

26 Jun 2010 06:51 #25 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Republican Ice Age?
Welcome EM and good post. I wish both parties members would go away too, and the only practical answer is term limits.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

26 Jun 2010 06:58 #26 by Steve-o
Replied by Steve-o on topic Republican Ice Age?

Science Chic wrote: I was originally a Republican, then a Dem, but am now registered as an Independent

There is no Independent Party in CO last I knew. Did you mean to say you are an unaffiliated voter?

26 Jun 2010 08:26 #27 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Republican Ice Age?
The only thing I hate about being "unaffiliated" is no voting in the primary.

26 Jun 2010 08:28 #28 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic Republican Ice Age?

Joe wrote: Welcome EM and good post. I wish both parties members would go away too, and the only practical answer is term limits.

Can't argue about the parties - I think they have both outlived their usefulness.

I do have a problem with term limits. To me they have the potential to take good, experienced, dedicated people out when they are doing good things (although admittedly there aren't too many of those types around!). But the biggest problem I see with term limits is that it makes the electorate even lazier than they currently are. They can further abdicate their responsibility to not study the candidates and issues thinking that "oh, if they turn out to be bad, they'll be out of there soon anyway.".

And there, to me, is the biggest problem of all...us. The electorate. Many of us fail to do our part. We listen to obviously biased broadcasters, we listen to 10 second sound-bytes, we read ads concocted by focus groups, then we form opinions based upon this incredibly sketchy and one-sided information; we don't really take the time that's needed to truly study the issues and the candidates. A lot of folks argue that that's difficult to do - between work, kids, etc., it just takes too much time. But I would submit that it's easier now than it has been with the advent of the internet.

26 Jun 2010 08:43 #29 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Republican Ice Age?
cydl, good points in the second paragraph. I remember when I was in my 20's and clueless, a co-worker told me forget about the speeches, pundits and campaign ads, look at the voting record of a candidate. (even if its the state and local record).

I am amazed at how most people are against term limits. I still don't buy the reasons.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

26 Jun 2010 09:11 #30 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic Republican Ice Age?

Joe wrote: cydl, good points in the second paragraph. I remember when I was in my 20's and clueless, a co-worker told me forget about the speeches, pundits and campaign ads, look at the voting record of a candidate. (even if its the state and local record).

I am amazed at how most people are against term limits. I still don't buy the reasons.

Thanks, Joe! And good advice, indeed!

So what are your reasons in support of term limits?

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds