Republican Ice Age?

26 Jun 2010 10:09 #31 by Residenttroll returns
The Colorado State Government has gotten bigger since Term Limits. It seems the bureaucrats know they only need to answer to an elected official for a shorten period of time; thus, the bureaucrats have more autonomy to build their fiefdoms.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2010 16:35 #32 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Republican Ice Age?

cydl wrote: So what are your reasons in support of term limits?

Well I apologize if I hijacked SC's thread, I agree the Repubs are doing some dumb things in their strategy lately. They will probably blow this gift election coming up.

Re: term limits- the point about throwing out good leaders is a valid concern. I am more concerned though about the career power brokers entrenched in DC. Pelosis Kennedys, Frank, Waxman, etc can just enter their name on the ballot unchallenged by even their own party and coast to re-election, the Sheeple don't think much other than remember names.

8 years for Congress and 4 yrs max for Committee chairs. These Chairs are where the real power is, introducing legislation. Junior congress people just vote the party line and get pork projects for their loyalty. If they had less to gain from "party power" maybe they would be more independent.

Its all a waste of time though, Term limits will not happen. So lets just have a President too as a dictator without a two term limit? Why not?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

27 Jun 2010 16:49 #33 by LOL

residenttroll wrote: The Colorado State Government has gotten bigger since Term Limits.

Are you sure its not gotten bigger since the Dems took over and figured out ways to get around Tabor?

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

27 Jun 2010 20:49 #34 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic Republican Ice Age?
All governments get bigger. Doesn't matter which party is in power. I heard Mike Rosen say the reason governments get bigger is the candidate winning the election has to find jobs for all the people they made promises to in return for campaign financing.

As governor of California and president of the United States, Reagan enacted policies that, in the main, greatly expanded the role and size of government.

As governor, he oversaw the largest tax increase in Californian history. Democratic Governor Jerry Brown cut back the tax rate when he came to office.

As president, Reagan expanded the federal government by about 90%.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory12.html

(and yet many consider Reagan the poster child of Republican Party)

27 Jun 2010 21:57 #35 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Republican Ice Age?
former presidents are like our children, once a president leaves office, or our kids move out of our house......we look back and only remember the good stuff. they always look better in retrospect than they did when they were in power.

28 Jun 2010 09:29 #36 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic Republican Ice Age?
This Gallup poll is interesting. It shows that in the last two years conservatives have increased about 5% (or 2% from earlier years) at the expense of both moderates and liberals.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/141032/2010-conservatives-outnumber-moderates-liberals.aspx

Among Democrats, moderates and liberals are about the same percentage(37-39%), with conservatives at 23%. But among republicans, conservatives run 72%.

28 Jun 2010 14:49 #37 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Republican Ice Age?

Wayne Harrison wrote: All governments get bigger. Doesn't matter which party is in power. I heard Mike Rosen say the reason governments get bigger is the candidate winning the election has to find jobs for all the people they made promises to in return for campaign financing.

As governor of California and president of the United States, Reagan enacted policies that, in the main, greatly expanded the role and size of government.

As governor, he oversaw the largest tax increase in Californian history. Democratic Governor Jerry Brown cut back the tax rate when he came to office.

As president, Reagan expanded the federal government by about 90%.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory12.html

(and yet many consider Reagan the poster child of Republican Party)

It's too bad that Reagan was saddled with a House and Senate full of Democrats intent on ballooning the size of the federal government in exchange for enacting some of the reforms that Reagan campaigned upon. We tend to forget that it is the Congress, and not the President, that is responsible for appropriating our tax money. Given a sympathetic Congress such as Obama currently enjoys, I'm certain we would be without the Department of Education and many other branches on the governmental tree after the Reagan administration.

28 Jun 2010 19:08 #38 by Residenttroll returns

archer wrote: former presidents are like our children, once a president leaves office, or our kids move out of our house......we look back and only remember the good stuff. they always look better in retrospect than they did when they were in power.

Yesterday I read the post and I still can't remember anything good about the Jimmy Carter years. I'll post something when I do remember it.

28 Jun 2010 19:11 #39 by Residenttroll returns

Joe wrote:

residenttroll wrote: The Colorado State Government has gotten bigger since Term Limits.

Are you sure its not gotten bigger since the Dems took over and figured out ways to get around Tabor?

Here's a great article that explains it...
Colorado’s ‘Brain Drain’ and Term Limits
Dr. Richard Bishirjian
http://www.yorktownpatriot.com/article_640.shtml

28 Jun 2010 19:26 - 28 Jun 2010 20:11 #40 by LOL
RT, that article only makes an argument that term limits should be long enough to allow experienced people to serve, maybe 10 years? Not 30-40 years. Brain Drain??? I don't buy the fact that the only smart people in existence are 535 congress idiots out of 300 million people. I would estimate 10,000 people easy are smart enough to be in congress. Maybe more. Most just don't want to deal with the BS of election politics.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds