Drones

05 Jun 2012 15:17 #1 by archer
Drones was created by archer
Apparently they work.

(CNN) -- Abu Yahya al-Libi, the No. 2 man in al Qaeda and a longtime public face of the terror network, is dead, White House spokesman Jay Carney confirmed Tuesday.
Al-Libi's death was "another serious blow to core al Qaeda," said Carney, who was unable to provide further details.
"His death is part of the degradation taking place in core al Qaeda in the last several years," Carney said.
Earlier Tuesday, U.S. officials said that al-Libi was killed by a CIA drone strike in Pakistan launched Monday.

Al-Libi's death marks one of the most significant blows to al Qaeda since the U.S. military killed Osama bin Laden in a daring nighttime raid in Pakistan a year ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/world/asi ... index.html

I know there have been a lot of jokes about Obama's drones, but when you get results against those who would do us grave damage....it's hard to argue that they are not worthwhile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2012 15:26 #2 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic Drones

archer wrote: Apparently they work.

(CNN) -- Abu Yahya al-Libi, the No. 2 man in al Qaeda and a longtime public face of the terror network, is dead, White House spokesman Jay Carney confirmed Tuesday.
Al-Libi's death was "another serious blow to core al Qaeda," said Carney, who was unable to provide further details.
"His death is part of the degradation taking place in core al Qaeda in the last several years," Carney said.
Earlier Tuesday, U.S. officials said that al-Libi was killed by a CIA drone strike in Pakistan launched Monday.

Al-Libi's death marks one of the most significant blows to al Qaeda since the U.S. military killed Osama bin Laden in a daring nighttime raid in Pakistan a year ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/world/asi ... index.html

I know there have been a lot of jokes about Obama's drones, but when you get results against those who would do us grave damage....it's hard to argue that they are not worthwhile.

YOu mean like the information that we got from water boarding? And jokes about Obama's "kill list?" No... I don't think that anyone has been joking about an issue like that. For a matter of fact, the progressives are pissed as hell about it.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

05 Jun 2012 15:28 #3 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Drones
"Bomp, bomp, bomp... Another one bites the dust...."

Another one of those that weren't important enough for Bush to go after....

05 Jun 2012 15:35 #4 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Drones
The Drone program bothers me. One person making decisions about how many civilian deaths are acceptable to get a terrorist doesn't work for me. We need a new system.

05 Jun 2012 15:37 #5 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic Drones

jmc wrote: The Drone program bothers me. One person making decisions about how many civilian deaths are acceptable to get a terrorist doesn't work for me. We need a new system.

We agree.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

05 Jun 2012 15:39 #6 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Drones
I disagree jmc....given a choice of letting terrorists like bin laden roam free, and taking measures to eliminate them without engaging in a major war, I'll take the surgical operation. There is never an ideal way to go after your enemies......but I believe this is a better way than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

05 Jun 2012 15:40 #7 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Drones
It didn't seem to bother anyone when they were bombing villages n Viet Nam... (The picture of the little girl running, covered in napalm is etched into my mind...)

It hasn't seemed to bother anyone in Iraq...Afghanistan...

As opposed to wiping out whole villages, surgical strikes by drones seem to keep the "collateral damage"--(a phrase only a neo-con could love)--to a minimum.

05 Jun 2012 15:43 #8 by JMC

archer wrote: I disagree jmc....given a choice of letting terrorists like bin laden roam free, and taking measures to eliminate them without engaging in a major war, I'll take the surgical operation. There is never an ideal way to go after your enemies......but I believe this is a better way than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

How would you feel if Cheney was deciding the fate of thousands of civilians? I may think the Pres, is ok making that decision but what if ?
I am not anti-drone but we need a better way to do it. I have no good answer, but I'll try to come up with something for discussion.

05 Jun 2012 15:44 #9 by JMC

LadyJazzer wrote: It didn't seem to bother anyone when they were bombing villages n Viet Nam... (The picture of the little girl running, covered in napalm is etched into my mind...)

It hasn't seemed to bother anyone in Iraq...Afghanistan...

As opposed to wiping out whole villages, surgical strikes by drones seem to keep the "collateral damage"--(a phrase only a neo-con could love)--to a minimum.

It should have.

05 Jun 2012 15:46 #10 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Drones
The world is upside down. The Left are the hawks and the GOP are the doves. But they are some lefties who are concerned too about Obama's Drone War.

So waterboarding is bad, but blowing them up is good? Maybe we should have the military leave the gates unlocked at Gitmo one night and we can launch drones on KSM and the others as they escape the base.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds