Military to continue sports spending

19 Jul 2012 16:14 #1 by Wallace Stegner
If they can't cut this, there isn't much hope.

WASHINGTON -- NASCAR and bass fishing can count on the military to keep the sponsorship money coming.

A vote by the U.S. House of Representatives will allow NASCAR military sponsorships to continue.

The House voted Wednesday night to continue spending millions for the military to back sports to attract recruits for the all-volunteer force. On a vote of 216-202, the House rejected an amendment by Reps. Jack Kingston, R-Ga., and Betty McCollum, D-Minn., that would have trimmed $72.3 million for sports sponsorships from a $608 billion defense bill for fiscal 2013

http://espn.go.com/racing/story/_/id/8178681/house-rejects-amendment-defense

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jul 2012 17:32 #2 by navycpo7

Wallace Stegner wrote: If they can't cut this, there isn't much hope.

WASHINGTON -- NASCAR and bass fishing can count on the military to keep the sponsorship money coming.

A vote by the U.S. House of Representatives will allow NASCAR military sponsorships to continue.

The House voted Wednesday night to continue spending millions for the military to back sports to attract recruits for the all-volunteer force. On a vote of 216-202, the House rejected an amendment by Reps. Jack Kingston, R-Ga., and Betty McCollum, D-Minn., that would have trimmed $72.3 million for sports sponsorships from a $608 billion defense bill for fiscal 2013

Here is another one of those items that should go away. Let the recruiters do thier jobs. We hear cut cut cut, yet they do something this stupid.

19 Jul 2012 17:34 #3 by FredHayek
Saw the Go Army car at Bandimere this week. Makes sense to me. Young males are attracted to these events.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Jul 2012 20:27 #4 by otisptoadwater
War is bad, people die, or they get wounded physically and mentally on both sides. Unfortunately freedom isn't free, it requires vigilance, preparedness, and the means to defend our boarders, citizens, and allies, even when freedom comes at a very high price. Freedom is anything but free, it can be horrendously expensive, costing many their lives over the course of the history of our nation.

While it might be invisible to many, there are men and women deployed around the world right now defending our way of life and they do so as volunteers. The military isn't for everyone, many people serve knowing they will be gaining a skill set they can use in the private sector later on and I support that exchange. Personnel leaving the service for other occupations means replacements will be needed and recruiting is the tool that is used to attract young men and women to serve while gaining a skill set they can use after their obligation is over.

-OR-

[sarcasm]Perhaps we should just have a meeting between all of the world's leaders and abolish war? I'm sure everyone will agree that any wrong doing can be excused as events of the past and let bygones be bygones...[/sarcasm]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

19 Jul 2012 20:46 #5 by Rick
That second choice is being considered I'm sure, along with a ban on fossil fuels, guns, and sugar.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Jul 2012 22:01 #6 by Blazer Bob

Wallace Stegner wrote: If they can't cut this, there isn't much hope.

Depends did some does the HMFIC of military recruiting get a woody from sponsoring them or did they do a cost benefit of this cost vs the 1.4 billion that we spent in 06.

I would think that NASCAR reaches people who have more of a propensity to enlist compared to say, the recruiting station in Ann Arbor, Mi where it gets splashed with blood.

Bass fishers, I do not know what the propensity for enlistment is but I would venture a guess that people who fish are more likely to be physically qualified them the general youth population.

"About 75 percent of America's 17- to 24-year-olds are ineligible for military service due to lack of education, obesity and other physical problems, or criminal history, according to a report issued by the Mission: Readiness group."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/usmilitar ... oserve.htm

20 Jul 2012 09:45 #7 by ComputerBreath
The military isn't just there to fight wars...we also provide humanitarian assistance for countries and states hit by natural disasters along with providing humanitarian assistance to escapees of war-torn countries.

20 Jul 2012 10:50 #8 by FredHayek

ComputerBreath wrote: The military isn't just there to fight wars...we also provide humanitarian assistance for countries and states hit by natural disasters along with providing humanitarian assistance to escapees of war-torn countries.

Very true. The US military deployed to Japan after the tsunami, Haiti after the earthquake, and the Indian Ocean after the tsunami.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jul 2012 11:17 #9 by navycpo7
Thats all fine and dandy, but if I had to make a choice between thr troops getting better weapons to defend themselves or putting a logo on a race car, choice is pretty easy for me. The problem I have is I am real tired of those that do not understand what the cuts to our military will really do. Most are about as clueless as beach sand. I am also tired of the military having to bear the cost, due to the lack of ability of Congress and the white house just to damn stupid to get their sh*) together and do their damn jobs. I hear nothing but lets cut our defense budget, lets cut this lets cut that, but defense will take the biggest hit. Don't hear those idiots up in Washington cutting their budgets, lets cut the 36 million that goes to the two convention for both parties, lets cut all the pork BS that those ON BOTH SIDES like to pull. Lets, cut congresses budget, reduce thier staff let them see how the real world is, like they are doing with the men and women in the military. Lets reduce the budget that each congress person gets to run thier offices, same for the white house admin and the supreme court, I AM DAMN TIRED OF THE MILITARY ALWAYS HAVING TO CARRY THE BRUT OF THE BS. It gets old real fast.

22 Jul 2012 02:52 #10 by MountainRoadCrew
Some posts from this thread were split off and moved here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21615 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21615<!-- l -->

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds