will the Republican party be relevant in future elections?

06 Nov 2012 22:13 #1 by Something the Dog Said
Not according to conservative Fox News commentators, such as Bill O'Reilly, Mike Huckabee and George Will. They admit that the party of the angry white male is shrinking away and unless they can attract voters "of color" as Huckabee puts it, the GOP is toast.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/11 ... html?hp=l1

Then you have the issue of the Tea Party activists promoting candidates that are absolutely whacko and out of the mainstream of America.

And with the House GOP proving themselves as obstructionists putting their politics over the needs of America, the GOP is headed for obscurity.

I mean really, if Romney/Ryan was the best that you had to offer, why even bother.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2012 22:18 #2 by LadyJazzer
I've only told them about 50 times that this was the LAST time they could expect to win by losing all the groups except the "old, angry white guys." Those days are over. They've run OUT of old, angry white-guys...

RMoney couldn't possibly be losing because he's an incompetent twit and a buffoon...

Y'all jus' keep doin' what yer doin'...

Keep alienating the Hispanics. You lose them by a big enough majority this time, and the GOTP will be a minority party of angry, white guys for the next 30 years.

Keep alienating women. They outnumber you... You keep telling them you're for "smaller government"--except where it comes to their women's issues, freedom of choice, freedom to use contraception, their wombs...(We fought that in the 50's... Are you nuts?!?!?!)

Keep alienating seniors You know--about 50% of that 47% that RMoney says he's doesn't give a sh*t about? Those folks who VOTE, no matter what... PLEASE...

Keep alienating blacks and telling them that they're second-class citizens...(unless, of course, they're bat-sh*t-crazy like Allen West...)

Keep trying to cram your social issues down the LGBT community's throats... You never had their vote anyway...This will ensure that you won't have it EVER...

God, would you teabagging extremists jus' keep doin' what yer doin'....PLEASE....

Now that Obama HAS WON this time, kiss your off-the-rails party good-bye. Say hello to 2-3 new Supreme Court justices that will likely ensure that the right-wing "judicial activism" that's run rampant for the last 8 years is history. Accept the idea that when the next Congress reconvenes, you're going to accept new revenues, (because the wingnuts are too afraid of seeing their holy Defense Dept cut...)

Please.... jus' keep doin' what yer doin' :biggrin:

06 Nov 2012 23:27 #3 by lionshead2010
From where I stand, it looks like roughly half of America thought the Republican ideas were pretty good ones. I get that the President was reelected on the electoral system but with him taking only about 50% of the popular vote, I think he will have to find a new approach if he is going to get the nation back on track.

We have seen how President Obama can divide the nation. Now let's see if he can unite us. He will need a whole new game plan because all I've seen for the past four years is division and class warfare. That's never going to get the country back on track.

It will be interesting to see what this country looks like four years from now.

07 Nov 2012 01:38 #4 by PrintSmith

Something the Dog Said wrote: I mean really, if Romney/Ryan was the best that you had to offer, why even bother.

Do you really think that Romney was the best we had to offer Dog? Tell me, honestly, do you think that Obama is the best the Democrats have to offer? He may have been good enough to win, but is he truly the best you've got? The man just barely managed to win. He is the first president since the end of WWII to win a second term with less of a mandate than he initially secured. Even GW Bush managed to win the second time by a larger margin than he won with originally. Reagan won by a large margin his first time, and an even bigger margin the second time.

The ticket you want to dismiss as "why even bother" came very close to taking the prize. What does that say about the ticket that won that the "why even bother" was nearly good enough?

The Republican Party came closer today than they did 4 years ago. If I am not mistaken the Republicans picked up a couple of seats in the House this time around as well. The devil you know isn't going to be available 4 years from now Dog. Who's the next star that will rise in the "progressive" sky? Biden? Pelosi? Reid? Hillary? Whose the prospect being groomed for the big leagues Dog?

If you think the Republican Party has trouble Dog, it ain't nothing compared to the trouble staring the Democrats squarely in the face. You need to forget the smug self-rightousness and forget about basking in the glow. Obama's got a bigger problem now than he did 4 years ago. Obama, and his party for that matter, have been given a second chance to unite instead of divide. But I've got to be straight with you. From what I've seen here, no one from that side of the aisle is even remotely interested in doing that.

07 Nov 2012 04:22 - 13 Nov 2012 08:23 #5 by The Boss

07 Nov 2012 06:06 #6 by FredHayek
I wouldn't kill off the GOP yet. The presidency is often more determined by the charisma of the candidates. And in off year elections with lower turnout the GOP can still dominate.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

07 Nov 2012 07:58 #7 by Something the Dog Said
And the cons here miss the boat. Thanks, it will ensure the progressive agenda for decades. The point made by the Fox commentators is the GOP continues to pursue their agenda of the southern white male at the expense of broadening their party. As one commentator put it, the GOP is a boa constrictor continuing to squeeze the life out of their party.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

07 Nov 2012 08:06 #8 by cydl
I think the GOP needs to radically revamp their platform with regard to women and religion. Those two things are keeping them in the dark. We've been fighting wars in the middle east for all these many years against religious zealots who treat their camels better than their women, and the here at home we have a major political party that is no better in those respects! What can't they understand about that???

07 Nov 2012 08:20 #9 by FredHayek
The Dems really made hay on the womens issues even though abortion wouldn't have been repealed under Romney. Fear mongering.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

07 Nov 2012 08:27 #10 by Something the Dog Said
So you believe that Romney was lying about repealing Roe v. Wade? Or that Akin and Mourdock were only kidding about their remarks about rape? Or that the House GOP was only joshing about limiting the ability of women to have access to contraceptives? Or the House GOP did not really mean their 60 something bills restricting access to abortion?

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds