Gay, Lesbian, Transsexual, Transgender- What is difference?

28 Jul 2010 18:26 #11 by Wayne Harrison
I have to admit i don't know the difference between transvestite and transgender. It's not something I really need to know, either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jul 2010 19:00 #12 by UNDER MODERATION

Nmysys wrote: Since we right wing extremists are accused so often of being homophobes, how about someone explaining all these different terms to educate us idiots. Anyone out there with INSIDE knowledge to share this with us to help us out?

Jesus christ Nmysys! -If you're over 8 years old and you don't know what the words Gay and Lesbian mean then you need to stop homeschooling and go to public school for a few years. How old are you kid?

28 Jul 2010 19:53 #13 by Scooby72
Ok peeps. I think what Nyms was trying to learn, in addition to a description to what the PC terms are for each category of gays, lesbians, transgenders, etc. IS to learn about the differences about each, not just what they are and to also learn perhaps about the culture. Let me know if I'm off Nyms. Incidentally, I didn't perceive your original post as anything but trying to seek knowledge - which is a good thing. So, don't let anyone else make you feel bad for asking or not knowing, good for you for reaching out. :biggrin:

I'm not going to google, I know enough people that I have a pretty good idea of what each is - I'll take a shot.

Gay - men who are sexually attracted to other men. (Also can be used to describe women who are sexually attracted to other women.)
Lesbian - women who are sexually attracted to women.
Bi Sexual - either sex who is attracted to both sexes.
Drag Queen - straight OR gay men who like to dress like women, more often than not they are gay men, but can be straight men. Note, most men in drag prefer to be referred to as "she" or "her" when in drag.
Transsexual - either sex that feels they should have been born as the other sex; woman feeling like they should be a man, man feeling like they should be a woman.
Transgender - a lot like transsexual, maybe they act more like the opposite sex, the difference between trans sexual/gender confuse me a bit.
Hetrosexual - attracted to opposite sex.
Homosexual - attracted to same sex, but I have really only heard this term with men, not sure why it isn't used with women, cause it's really the same thing.

Personally, I was raised in the bible belt of Texas. I had a cousin that was caught making out with another girl - the family never spoke to her again, to this day she's 'ousted' from the family. While I was raised around this sort of behavior, I knew even at 10 that it wasn't right. I kept asking were Terry was - my other cousin (the older brother of Terry) said "Angie she's gay", and I was like.. "um, ok, but what does that have to do with where she is?".

I am pro gay marriage and against don't ask don't tell. I don't care what you do in your bedroom, how you do it, or who you do it with as long as it is between consenting ADULTS. Seeing gays or lesbians showing affection does not gross me out. Those trying to ban gay marriage IMO have no legal grounds to do so, eventually the supreme court will have to rule on this. You can't base all laws on the bible when we live in a society in which one of those laws is freedom of religion - which includes freedom not to practice religion.

That's probably enough for now. :)

28 Jul 2010 20:29 #14 by Local_Historian
You hd it pretty close, scooby - and since I do know people who fit every category:

Transgender - someone who actually is in the process of being changed from one sex to the other through the use of hormones and surgery, or who alsready has undergone this process.

Homosexual - anyone attracted to the same sex, applies across the board to men and women equally. "Gay" is the derogatory term for homosexual, also used to denote stupidity (thought I'm not sure how we got there, but ask any junior high kid and they will tell you that's what that means.

Transvestite - more often than not a straight man dressing as a woman. tend to dress more classy than a drag queen.

28 Jul 2010 21:21 #15 by major bean

Scooby72 wrote: Ok peeps.

Please stop calling us "peeps". That is so condescending and arrogant.

Regards,
Major Bean

28 Jul 2010 22:18 #16 by Mr Peabody
Okay. If two gay men are in a homosexual relationship and one of them becomes a transgender - woman, are they now in heterosexual relationship?

28 Jul 2010 22:27 - 28 Jul 2010 22:30 #17 by Scooby72

major bean wrote:

28 Jul 2010 22:29 #18 by Scooby72

Scooby72 wrote:

major bean wrote:

My sincerest apologies if a word I use as a term of endearment was offensive to you.

28 Jul 2010 23:00 #19 by The Viking

Local_Historian wrote: You hd it pretty close, scooby - and since I do know people who fit every category:

Transgender - someone who actually is in the process of being changed from one sex to the other through the use of hormones and surgery, or who alsready has undergone this process.

Homosexual - anyone attracted to the same sex, applies across the board to men and women equally. "Gay" is the derogatory term for homosexual, also used to denote stupidity (thought I'm not sure how we got there, but ask any junior high kid and they will tell you that's what that means.

Transvestite - more often than not a straight man dressing as a woman. tend to dress more classy than a drag queen.

Yes I posted a link to all the definitions on the first page. Those are pretty much right on.

28 Jul 2010 23:02 #20 by The Viking

Mr Peabody wrote: Okay. If two gay men are in a homosexual relationship and one of them becomes a transgender - woman, are they now in heterosexual relationship?

Good quesiton. And if the one goes all the way and becomes a woman, does that then make both of them straight?

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds