Gay, Lesbian, Transsexual, Transgender- What is difference?

29 Jul 2010 06:44 #21 by LOL

Scooby72 wrote:

Scooby72 wrote:

major bean wrote:

Scooby72 wrote: Ok peeps.

Please stop calling us "peeps". That is so condescending and arrogant.

My sincerest apologies if a word I use as a term of endearment was offensive to you.

I read "peeps" as short for people, It didn't bother me, thought it was cute. Not sure though, could be used for other meanings too.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2010 08:01 #22 by Scooby72
You are correct Joe, it is short for people and is generally slang for the 'people' you hang with or care about. At least that how I've heard it used, but maybe there is another form hence bean's clear disagreement. /shrug

29 Jul 2010 08:10 #23 by LOL
Cool Scooby, I am trying to learn all this hipster slang! :) Some of us are old fogies, so be patient with us. LOL. Cool is my 70s slang, its kinda lame nowdays I know.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Jul 2010 08:36 #24 by Nmysys
Thank you. I think the explanations were always actually clear even to me, kid that I am approaching 70 yrs. of age, but what I am finally seeing is what I have really been looking for, slowly but surely the prejudicial remarks are peeling away, and a real discussion is beginning. Scooby, I actually think I understand totally your position and acceptance of same-sex marriage, having read a number of your posting replies of late, getting a real picture of your political stance, Thank you. As others participate in this, and more of the anger dissipates, I think those of us without clearer knowledge of each, might actually become more compassionate. The religious boundaries have caused most of us to not understand the compassion that may be required for acceptance of alternative lifestyles. It may be a barrier we may never be able to get past, but I am trying to at least understand it.

Wayne, I apologize to you, Sir, if my way of starting a thread as serious as this particular subject is, doesn't come up to your standards. Please understand that chat room debate is something I admit to being a novice at, but I try to do it without provocation of any kind.

29 Jul 2010 08:51 #25 by The Boss
10 % of our population fits into these groups from my understanding.

I really could care less about most other peoples' relationships, emotional or sexual, I think that those that do, clearly need more to do.

I am no where near 70, but I can tell you that by around 1990 or even earlier (20 years ago), it became pretty clear that those that could not communicate about sexual orientation where the ones with the problems. Not that Gay, etc. rights became non issues, actually they became more of the social acceptable norm, like long hair on guys in the early 70's. Not everyone does it, but most understand it. Yes hair length is a choice and homosexuality is not, but both had to overcome social hurdles.

In that theme, you get any hippy wasted enough and they all seem to have the orgy story, and they all seem to involve multiple partners of both sexes....and most of these folks will tell you they are straight.

In the theme of modern media....the modern media and TV etc. would have you believe that it is a female right of passage to have a lesbian experience in college and still be straight. Not condoning or encouraging, but this message is all over the "shows" and "movies".

Fuel for more debate? It shouldn't be, there is nothing to solve.

29 Jul 2010 09:03 #26 by The Boss
Nmysys.

Interesting that you say that it is religious boundaries that have caused many of us not to understand the compassion that may be required.

Interesting because most of the people out there (CO, US) are likely christian right? Isn't christianity all about compassion...or at least that is the marketing for it...could it be that it was not religious boundaries, but rather poor interpretation or perpetuation of the religion by priests and parents? Meaning christianity would have tolerated, just many people do not really believe in that part of it, the hate in history is just too much fun and brings people together, even if for the wrong reason.

But I guess as people don't like their religion, they make new ones or all christians would be catholic or jewish or pagan or whatever. In the tradition of religion, religions are changed to suit the times.

29 Jul 2010 09:09 #27 by Rockdoc

The Viking wrote:

Mr Peabody wrote: Okay. If two gay men are in a homosexual relationship and one of them becomes a transgender - woman, are they now in heterosexual relationship?

Good quesiton. And if the one goes all the way and becomes a woman, does that then make both of them straight?

This is the kind of questions taxonomists ask all the time in the sense of trying to classify life. Look at life on nearly any level and you find examples that challenge those who need to have everything fit neatly into a particular box. I suppose there are instances when i like to have a box into which to put similar files and other times when it really does not matter. Mostly the classification is for understanding or someone else's benefit.

With the questions posed above, i ask you, Does it really matter? How important is the process of how one gets to who they are? Is not who you are right now what needs to be acknowledged and appreciated? Generally, I think the need to know there was a process involved is to help us formulate a judgement whose roots lie in our learned moral views. Pretend for an instance you are that young kid, you know the ones, they are the kids who have yet to have "our reality" imprinted on them. Do these kids concern themselves with why one is dressed as a girl and another as a boy? No. they are more interested in having fun and getting along (most of the time). Perhaps there is something to be learned here? Between the time we are members of innocence and members of wizened old folks who resort to becoming kids again lies a gulf of judgmental behavior that evokes division not unity.

A final thought about this matter since it was couched within the context of is she (he) or is she (he) not. Considerable perceptional and emotional differences exist between men and women. It could be argued that this contributes enormously to tension within relationships because of a lack of comprehension and an ability to relate. Is it possible, that the fully transgendered could provide a bridge to understanding? While hormonal therapy offers external physical changes consistent with one sex or another, I wonder if it goes beyond that? After all we are merely the product of a bunch of chemicals, so when the soup gets altered how far reaching are those alterations? Hell, there are times I wish I better understood the opposite sex. It would make life much simpler.

29 Jul 2010 13:31 #28 by Local_Historian

Mr Peabody wrote: Okay. If two gay men are in a homosexual relationship and one of them becomes a transgender - woman, are they now in heterosexual relationship?

You know, I don't know. I only know of one couple like this, and I think they still consider themselves homosexual - it's confusing to me as well.

In the theme of modern media....the modern media and TV etc. would have you believe that it is a female right of passage to have a lesbian experience in college and still be straight. Not condoning or encouraging, but this message is all over the "shows" and "movies".

Ya know, I went to college for two different degrees, and never once had this "opportunity" arise. Though all of us did know which dorm NOT to live in if you didn't want to be considered one of those girls working your way through college, if you know what I mean.

29 Jul 2010 20:49 #29 by UNDER MODERATION
Oh please- all normal women have had lesbian experiences at one time or another-Usually in Highschool.

30 Jul 2010 06:51 - 30 Jul 2010 11:22 #30 by Scooby72

posteryoyo wrote: Nmysys.

Interesting that you say that it is religious boundaries that have caused many of us not to understand the compassion that may be required.

Interesting because most of the people out there (CO, US) are likely christian right? Isn't christianity all about compassion...or at least that is the marketing for it...could it be that it was not religious boundaries, but rather poor interpretation or perpetuation of the religion by priests and parents? Meaning christianity would have tolerated, just many people do not really believe in that part of it, the hate in history is just too much fun and brings people together, even if for the wrong reason.

But I guess as people don't like their religion, they make new ones or all christians would be catholic or jewish or pagan or whatever. In the tradition of religion, religions are changed to suit the times.

In my experience, the biggest gay bashers tend to have strong religions backgrounds - their argument is that it is stated it is wrong in the bible. Does the quote 'God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' sound familiar? Some religions have designated counselors and programs to 'cure' homosexuality. I'm not saying religion is solely responsible for it, but they play the biggest role imo.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds