How about this for a gun law?

12 Jan 2013 13:14 #11 by chickaree
None of the mass shooters that I know of have gotten their guns from the black market. The black market can be harder to navigate than most people think and is often beyon the ken of a mentally disturbed adolescent. Making it harder for sick people to get their hands n this stuff just doesn't sound like that bad an idea to me. No, it will not greatly affect the access of these weapons to drug lords and such, but they ae not the ones shooting up schools and theaters. At least they mostly victimize each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jan 2013 13:33 #12 by BadgerKustoms

chickaree wrote: The black market can be harder to navigate than most people think

I've found quite the opposite having accidentally purchased a stolen firearm before from a seemingly upstanding guy. Since then I've found many others who've actually gone through the same thing, the good news is the owner of the firearm usually gets it back, the down side is the $$$ dished out by those of us that bought them is rarely if ever returned.

Badger

12 Jan 2013 13:46 #13 by chickaree
But doesn't having a registered VIN make it harder to sell stolen cars? Wouldn't having a GIN make it harder to unknowingly buy a stolen weapon?

12 Jan 2013 14:11 #14 by Mtn Gramma
Of course it would. But all this applies to law-abiding, responsible people. Criminals don't care.

How would a GIN have prevented Sandy Hook? Aurora?

12 Jan 2013 14:22 #15 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic How about this for a gun law?

chickaree wrote: But doesn't having a registered VIN make it harder to sell stolen cars? Wouldn't having a GIN make it harder to unknowingly buy a stolen weapon?

Having a VIN does nothing for the stolen parts market or the overseas market. Cars are still stolen every day.

12 Jan 2013 14:41 #16 by chickaree
But not by casual thieves for resale. Now it is easier to resell a stolen gun than a stolen iPhone. I just don't buy the argument that if you can't stop every illegal sale to crackpots that there is no value in preventing some. Letting the perfect become the enemy of the good is a mistake. Of those of us who value our gun rights want a seat at the table we need a vocabulary that consists of something more than "No!".

13 Jan 2013 10:06 #17 by akilina
Thinking about what you said chickaree. But I still don't see it preventing crackpots from accessing from illegal sources. Crackpots may be mentally unstable but many of them are not stupid.

Why do we want to further erode our gun rights by chipping away here and there by adding more useless laws.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

13 Jan 2013 10:19 #18 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic How about this for a gun law?
James Holmes bought a lot of ammo and weapons in a relatively short period of time. How about LE keeping track of purchases and paying a visit to anyone who buys that much firepower just to ascertain what their motives and intentions are? When we buy Sudafed at the grocery store, it goes into a database because of the possibility of its use to make meth. We should do the same thing with large weapons purchases.

13 Jan 2013 10:44 #19 by akilina

Raees wrote: James Holmes bought a lot of ammo and weapons in a relatively short period of time. How about LE keeping track of purchases and paying a visit to anyone who buys that much firepower just to ascertain what their motives and intentions are? When we buy Sudafed at the grocery store, it goes into a database because of the possibility of its use to make meth. We should do the same thing with large weapons purchases.

And you think they are going to tell you why they have that much fire power other than it is their right?

And aren't we already tracked w/o our knowledge?

And won't many people just go underground and buy on the black market rather than provide the info if it is law?

Banning weapons with lots of fire power will make it so that they get them underground or buy multiple weapons so that they can drop one, pick up another and continue firing.

I see a lot of problems here.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

13 Jan 2013 10:56 #20 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic How about this for a gun law?

akilina wrote:

Raees wrote: James Holmes bought a lot of ammo and weapons in a relatively short period of time. How about LE keeping track of purchases and paying a visit to anyone who buys that much firepower just to ascertain what their motives and intentions are? When we buy Sudafed at the grocery store, it goes into a database because of the possibility of its use to make meth. We should do the same thing with large weapons purchases.

And you think they are going to tell you why they have that much fire power other than it is their right?

I think if LE had paid a visit to Holmes prior to the shooting, they would have noticed something wrong (CU already had noticed) and looked into it further.

There are rights and there are abuses of rights.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds