Huff n Puff Post
Distracted Cell Phone Users
Dumb People
The Boogey Man
Stairs
Asteroids
Lightning

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2013 06:50 - 20 Jan 2013 18:46 #12 by Raees
Health issues
Driving 285
Hiking remote places alone
Accidentally or purposely shot

That's honestly all I can think of.

20 Jan 2013 07:32 #13 by gmule
A gun is just another tool. I have one for self protection in the event that I might need to use lethal force to defend myself.
Even though I don't live in daily fear of being attacked or robbed by another person that doesn't mean that risk does not exist.
I would rather have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it.

20 Jan 2013 08:47 - 20 Jan 2013 08:49 #14 by Nobody that matters

Raees wrote: So guns are not in the top 10 threats to your life for anyone?

Then why do you need to carry a frickin gun around to protect yourself?

If I'm carrying a frickin gun, I'm not that concerned about someone else with a gun. If I'm unarmed, that threat would show up on my list.

I also have the right to keep an evil black assault rifle at the ready in a place I feel is secure in my home to stop anyone that decides that my stuff should be forcibly redistributed. I'm not that good a shot under pressure - I want 30 chances to convince them to leave.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

20 Jan 2013 12:04 #15 by Grady

Nobody that matters wrote:

If I'm carrying a frickin gun, I'm not that concerned about someone else with a gun. If I'm unarmed, that threat would show up on my list.

I also have the right to keep an evil black assault rifle at the ready in a place I feel is secure in my home to stop anyone that decides that my stuff should be forcibly redistributed. I'm not that good a shot under pressure - I want 30 chances to convince them to leave.

:like:
Or six shots from the 870. :biggrin:

I would put auto accidents at the top of the list.

20 Jan 2013 12:28 #16 by Raees

Nobody that matters wrote:

And how many times in your life has someone tried to forcibly take your stuff (or that of your neighbors?) I'm not talking about burglary, I'm talking about home invasion, where they are in your house at the same time you are. Be honest.

20 Jan 2013 13:01 #17 by ScienceChic
1. Diabetes (not the highest cause of mortality in US women, heart disease is, but I'm more at risk for diabetes than heart disease)
2. Flu/Pneumonia
3. Heart Disease/Stroke
4. Cancer
5. Infection
6. Accidents (unintentional injury) - driving, falls, etc
7. Depression
8. Noncompliance with best practices in a hospital leading to secondary infection from drug-resistant bacteria, botched surgery, or mismanaged drug interactions/dosages.
9. Continued lack of effort to mitigate climate change or institute sound policies to effectively prepare for upcoming costs and consequences of extreme climate disasters leading to collapse of economies, food shortages and social upheaval, wars over resources, collapse of fisheries, decreased standard of living leading to increased geographical spread of currently regionally-isolated diseases, and a fundamental change in reverse of our current way of life.
10. Stress

CDC 2010 Stats on Deaths and Mortality
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Deaths: Leading Causes for 2009
National Vital Statistics Reports
Volume 61, Number 7 October 26, 2012
by Melonie Heron, Ph.D., Division of Vital Statistics

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Jan 2013 14:22 #18 by RY
you need my book SC ;)

Science Chic wrote: 1. Diabetes (not the highest cause of mortality in US women, heart disease is, but I'm more at risk for diabetes than heart disease)
2. Flu/Pneumonia
3. Heart Disease/Stroke
4. Cancer
5. Infection
6. Accidents (unintentional injury) - driving, falls, etc
7. Depression
8. Noncompliance with best practices in a hospital leading to secondary infection from drug-resistant bacteria, botched surgery, or mismanaged drug interactions/dosages.
9. Continued lack of effort to mitigate climate change or institute sound policies to effectively prepare for upcoming costs and consequences of extreme climate disasters leading to collapse of economies, food shortages and social upheaval, wars over resources, collapse of fisheries, decreased standard of living leading to increased geographical spread of currently regionally-isolated diseases, and a fundamental change in reverse of our current way of life.
10. Stress

CDC 2010 Stats on Deaths and Mortality
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Deaths: Leading Causes for 2009
National Vital Statistics Reports
Volume 61, Number 7 October 26, 2012
by Melonie Heron, Ph.D., Division of Vital Statistics

20 Jan 2013 14:23 #19 by RY
after my accident from a week ago, "accident" would be #1, have to think about #2

20 Jan 2013 14:29 #20 by homeagain
FDA's lack of manpower/response to threats in our food chain/pharmco lax oversight.
cyber attack to our infrastructure/financial structure

Personal level
auto accidents
hospitalization/over worked medical professionals oversight/error

THAT about covers it.......

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds