In your opinion, what are the 10 biggest threats 2 your life

21 Jan 2013 14:17 #31 by FredHayek

Raees wrote: It wouldn't have been a burglary if you were home. Duh.

A gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to be involved in the death of a member of the household than to be used in self-defense, or so I've heard.

Actually not.
Unlawful entry to commit a crime counts as burglary, so they could charge a perp with both burglary and robbery.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2013 14:29 #32 by JMC

otisptoadwater wrote: 1) Car crash. Statistically it's the most likely.
2) Plane crash. I travel a lot, not as likely as a car crash.
3) Wrong place, wrong time. I travel to the 2nd and 3rd world, the bad guys could show up at the same time I happen to get there.
4) Mishap around the house. I live alone and if I fell off a ladder or went down the stairs head first it would be a couple of days before anyone knew about it.
5) Getting sick abroad. There are places on the planet that don't have modern health care or can't extradite a patient in time to get them to adequate care.
6) Getting older. At some point in time I'm going to lay down and never wake up again - I'd rather take a bullet in the back from a husband that came home early!

Otis,# 4 can be solved by lifealert.

21 Jan 2013 15:00 #33 by Raees
"I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Next, he'll have to get The Clapper: Clap on! Clap off!

21 Jan 2013 15:55 #34 by bailey bud
a) alcohol ---- half of my cousins have died from it --- or are slaves to it.
b) confinement. Claustrophobia would kill me ---- which is precisely why I don't live in a city.
c) Rejection. It is not good for man to be alone (or woman, for that matter) .......
d) Idiotic neighbors. Yeah - I have some. I know one guy who is sure I'm Muslim, and that I ought to be on the
terrorist watch list because of that. Having a prayer rug does not make me Muslim, folks!
e) Ignorance and fear ---- no idea what the death toll is for these two things - but it's certainly greater than zero.

No - guns don't really bother me. What bothers me is a gun is in the hands of an idiot (that happens a little
too often for my tastes). Unfortunately, there's no reliable predictor of idiocy - so the lack of predictability creates insecurity and fear - which of course ---- is one of the factors that drive violence.

What's the solution?
a) sobriety. No, I'm not advocating prohibition - but drunkenness and violence often go hand-in-hand.
I'd like more people to chose sobriety.
b) Space - I live in the mountains - plenty of space.
c) Engagement - with a couple of exceptions, being in a social forum is encouraging and positive.
d) I can't do much for idiotic neighbors except offer them education. I don't mean that in an elitist way. The simple fact is that I've been more places, and seen more things than the average Joe - and I enjoy sharing it.

That said - I see a disturbing insistence on being stupid --- dangerously stupid. Intolerance of opposing views prevail with both sides of the ideological spectrum. Socially, I think there's a dismaying lack of critical, constructive, self-examining thought.

21 Jan 2013 17:26 #35 by Raees

22 Jan 2013 11:08 #36 by UNDER MODERATION

Raees wrote: "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Anybody suprised that Otis lives alone?

22 Jan 2013 11:22 #37 by bailey bud
Like I said in another thread --- ignore the frickin idiots.

22 Jan 2013 11:43 #38 by UNDER MODERATION

VL Unchained wrote:

Raees wrote: "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Anybody suprised that Otis lives alone?

This subject is addressed here

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/285forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25653 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25653<!-- l -->

22 Jan 2013 11:46 #39 by UNDER MODERATION

bailey bud wrote: Like I said in another thread --- ignore the frickin idiots.

Seriously Double B...These guys all live alone...Doesnt that say something about them? They live alone and post angry messages on message boards all day and night...Should anybody take them seiously? The value of their opinions, (and thats what we share here) is very low, almost into negative numbers

22 Jan 2013 12:42 #40 by FredHayek
Discrimination against people who live alone? Single person households are more popular now than ever in the world. Sort of strange, you would think as population density increases, people would be be more likley to live together. But living alone is more expensive and as the standard of living increases around the world, more people are opting to pay the extra money and live by themselves.

Personally I have only ever lived alone a couple months at a time. I liked it, I think.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds