In your opinion, what are the 10 biggest threats 2 your life

20 Jan 2013 16:54 #21 by The Boss
Any other answer from you would have been unacceptable.... :)

Science Chic wrote: 1. Diabetes (not the highest cause of mortality in US women, heart disease is, but I'm more at risk for diabetes than heart disease)
2. Flu/Pneumonia
3. Heart Disease/Stroke
4. Cancer
5. Infection
6. Accidents (unintentional injury) - driving, falls, etc
7. Depression
8. Noncompliance with best practices in a hospital leading to secondary infection from drug-resistant bacteria, botched surgery, or mismanaged drug interactions/dosages.
9. Continued lack of effort to mitigate climate change or institute sound policies to effectively prepare for upcoming costs and consequences of extreme climate disasters leading to collapse of economies, food shortages and social upheaval, wars over resources, collapse of fisheries, decreased standard of living leading to increased geographical spread of currently regionally-isolated diseases, and a fundamental change in reverse of our current way of life.
10. Stress

CDC 2010 Stats on Deaths and Mortality
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Deaths: Leading Causes for 2009
National Vital Statistics Reports
Volume 61, Number 7 October 26, 2012
by Melonie Heron, Ph.D., Division of Vital Statistics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2013 18:45 #22 by Rick
#1. Cancer
#2. Stress
#3. Ignorant politicians who are destroying the economy and the country by not addressing the debt.
#4. Obamacare (once it causes healthcare choices to disappear and we get mediocre single payer... see #1)
#5. Very old drivers
#6. Very young drivers
#7. Stupid drivers
#8. Fast Food
#9. Criminals
#10. Consistent and unchanging climate.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Jan 2013 20:55 #23 by UNDER MODERATION
Huh? Well why do we spend all of our money defending against military attacks from the sky/sea and terrorists if most americans don't consider those as serious threats to their lives?

Shouldnt we be using ALL THAT money on improving roads and healthcare instead?

20 Jan 2013 21:09 #24 by gmule

VL Unchained wrote: Huh? Well why do we spend all of our money defending against military attacks from the sky/sea and terrorists if most americans don't consider those as serious threats to their lives?

Shouldnt we be using ALL THAT money on improving roads and healthcare instead?

I could get behind this.

If we were all carrying we wouldn't have to worry about terrorist we could take care of them as we catch them.

20 Jan 2013 21:15 #25 by UNDER MODERATION
BTW..Did you see those guardrails they put up in the median on 285? I was first on the scene of a head on fatality just past Mountain High church a few years ago-If those were up on that day nobody would have died...Great infrastructure investment there.

I was suprised that nobody here complained about that project

20 Jan 2013 21:19 #26 by gmule

VL Unchained wrote: BTW..Did you see those guardrails they put up in the median on 285? I was first on the scene of a head on fatality just past Mountain High church a few years ago-If those were up on that day nobody would have died...Great infrastructure investment there.

I was suprised that nobody here complained about that project

Sorry you had to see that. I agree the guardrails are a good investment.

20 Jan 2013 23:32 #27 by Nobody that matters

Raees wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote:

Raees wrote: So guns are not in the top 10 threats to your life for anyone?

Then why do you need to carry a frickin gun around to protect yourself?

If I'm carrying a frickin gun, I'm not that concerned about someone else with a gun. If I'm unarmed, that threat would show up on my list.

I also have the right to keep an evil black assault rifle at the ready in a place I feel is secure in my home to stop anyone that decides that my stuff should be forcibly redistributed. I'm not that good a shot under pressure - I want 30 chances to convince them to leave.

And how many times in your life has someone tried to forcibly take your stuff (or that of your neighbors?) I'm not talking about burglary, I'm talking about home invasion, where they are in your house at the same time you are. Be honest.

Hasn't happened to me. I heard the dogs going nuts one night at about 11:00 PM. I found tracks outside, but I also found where those tracks met my dogs paw prints. The tracks went the other way at a full run.

It has happened to a very good friend of mine. Home invasion while he was sitting in his living room watching TV. He heard the door get kicked in, and made it to his room in time to grab his shotgun. It was a good thing the invader only brought a knife - my friend held him until the police showed up.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 Jan 2013 13:40 #28 by FredHayek
Never had a home invasion, but have had a burglary. I wonder if the burglary wouldn't have happened if they thought I was home.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Jan 2013 13:41 #29 by Raees
It wouldn't have been a burglary if you were home. Duh.

A gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to be involved in the death of a member of the household than to be used in self-defense, or so I've heard.

21 Jan 2013 14:12 #30 by ComputerBreath
1. There are two: Fire (one of my residences caught fire several years ago...very scary) & some idiot driving haphazardly on roads they aren't familiar with & causing me to crash.
2. Carbon Monoxide poisoning
3. Murder
4. Rape
5. Fire at work (beetle kill trees all around me
6. Drunk people on the road
7. Hitting a large animal while driving
8. Falling down the stairs in my house
9. My own self...
10. Someone out for revenge

As a retired military person, I was taught to identify threats and how to ameliorate those threats. It has become second nature to me.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds