California leading the way on the economy

02 Feb 2013 18:18 #31 by LadyJazzer
Isn't it telling that now that the Republicans have been sidelined (by the VOTERS), and that the state is finally turning around, and the anti-tax crowd has been "refudiated", they have empirical proof that the GOP way doesn't work, and didn't work.

It looks to me like the FACTS that are right in front of everybody's face show that the GOTP formula was wrong, and it WAS the fault of the anti-tax Republicans.

Of course, since the GOTP tends to live in a fact-free universe, I can see where empirical proof would be easy to ignore. (Kind of like climate-change.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Feb 2013 19:38 #32 by deltamrey
Forth largest economy in the world, innovation with little state government interference.....no Wall Stret culture........hummmm seems to work. The politics are not germane. Rust Belt failures are looking for a way out of the embraced culture that tanked the East coast and upper mid west. Putting grease on a bolt no longer guarantees $250,000 a year including bloated benefits. Get over it....it is goooonnnneeeee.

02 Feb 2013 20:03 #33 by deltamrey
For good measure for the six pack crowd........San Fran Sissy won the World Series and has a high probability of winning the Superbowl.....burp. AND the America's Cup (CAL Oracle holds the cup) starts in San Fran Sissy in September........they doing something right out there.

03 Feb 2013 08:35 #34 by Something the Dog Said

Blazer Bob wrote: LOL.

I am not a blind partisan. When CA becomes the shining city on the hill. I will vote democrat. I will dance if they find a formula that works.

Is there any level that CA can sink to where the left will admit that that the formula is wrong and not the fault of evil republicans.

The facts are that CA is rising, not sinking, based on the "formula" that Gov. Brown and the supermajority Dems were finally able to utilize in CA. It was the refusal of the CA GOP through their filibustering and governorship that created the sinkhole in CA, that the Dems are now able to help CA to climb out.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

03 Feb 2013 09:05 #35 by Blazer Bob
What metrics should we be looking for?

Will unemployment increase or decrease?

Will median income increase or decrease?

Will SAT/ACT scores increase or decrease?

Will HS graduation rates increase or decrease?

Violent crime?

Will____________________?

03 Feb 2013 09:09 #36 by LadyJazzer

Blazer Bob wrote: What metrics should we be looking for?

Will unemployment increase or decrease?

Will median income increase or decrease?

Will SAT/ACT scores increase or decrease?

Will HS graduation rates increase or decrease?

Violent crime?

Will____________________?

And if you apply those same metrics to the past 10 years... (No, make that the last 30 years)...of failed GOTP control, how'd that work out for ya?

03 Feb 2013 09:39 #37 by LOL

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: LOL.

I am not a blind partisan. When CA becomes the shining city on the hill. I will vote democrat. I will dance if they find a formula that works.

Is there any level that CA can sink to where the left will admit that that the formula is wrong and not the fault of evil republicans.

The facts are that CA is rising, not sinking, based on the "formula" that Gov. Brown and the supermajority Dems were finally able to utilize in CA. It was the refusal of the CA GOP through their filibustering and governorship that created the sinkhole in CA, that the Dems are now able to help CA to climb out.

I don't dispute the improving numbers in CA or any other state. You haven't made much of a case that any of it is due to California leading the way or specific government policies. The improving real estate market is probably the biggest factor. We will have to wait and see if their new tax rates really fix their long term budget problems, or if the millionaires move out.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

03 Feb 2013 10:05 - 03 Feb 2013 11:33 #38 by LadyJazzer
How many millionaires left before the economy started turning around and getting better?

The GOTP has been selling that same "snake-oil" for decades: "Tax-cuts trickle down." It would appear that Californians have figured out that it hasn't, doesn't and won't "trickle down." Tax-cuts have done nothing but starve the educational system, the state budget for infrastructure, the post-K/12 budgets, and local/county budgets of needed revenue for decades. Which KILLS jobs...not create them.

I should think now that things are turning around, it will be a much more attractive place. The current budget numbers, and business-creation statistics are proving it already.

03 Feb 2013 11:20 #39 by deltamrey
Two excellent articles today I find via Huffington.....one by Krugman addressing the real problem.....jobs. Root cause is the lack of a solid education system USA.....and the cultural focus on material....beer, blonds and football (all three I like----but our kids do not know how to handle early adulthood - now defined at age 10). The other article, same source, is the list of highest paying jobs.....all essentially science and engineering.....and our kids are not prepared to hold. IF we finally get it, it may take 20-50 years to fix......I am not at all hopeful.

The high paying jobs in all areas of manufacturing - cars, washing machines, electronics, etc.....will NEVER come back. So we focus on soft education (business, law, history, art, belly dancing, tarot cards, etc)....all now looser professions with massive numbers living in mommy's back room with no future........we need to address the root causes.....got to be a lot of angry missled kids out there
pressure cooker for sure.

11 Feb 2013 10:37 #40 by Grady
Apparently California is not leading the economy.

Indeed, in the last five years Texas has gained 400,000 new jobs while California has lost 640,000. The Lone Star State’s rate of job growth was 33 percent higher than California’s last year, even as the Golden State finally pulled out of the recession.

Joseph Vranich, a California business-relocation expert, agrees that California has a systemic job-creation problem and says it needs to worry about more than just Texas. He says that 15 states are sending delegations to California and seeking to convince firms to relocate or, if they stay in California, to expand their operations out of state.

EBay, Facebook, and Visa, among others, have recently made major expansions in Texas. “That kind of talk will only intensify now that top earners in California face a 13.3 percent income-tax hit on earnings over $1 million,” says Jon Fleischman, editor of the political blog FlashReport.com. “That’s not only the highest rate in the U.S. It’s the highest rate any state has had since World War II.”

California has the third-highest cost of living, while Texas has the second-lowest,” says Chuck DeVore, a former California GOP state legislator who relocated to the Lone Star State to work as an analyst for the Texas Public Policy Foundation. “That means California’s $8 minimum wage buys $6.06 worth of goods and services, while Texas’s lower $7.25 wage buys the equivalent of $8.04.” One might even say that California’s high-tax, high-cost model is a form of class warfare against its poorest residents.

National Review

The entire article was about Texas Governor Perry making a push for businesses to relocate to Texas from California.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds