California leading the way on the economy

09 Jul 2013 11:38 #51 by Blazer Bob
[youtube:2e95k5eq]
[/youtube:2e95k5eq]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2013 17:35 #52 by Blazer Bob
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... 32920.html

"California has a poverty rate of 23.5 percent, the highest of any state in the country, according to figures released this week by the United States Census Bureau.

The only other geographic region with an equivalent poverty rate is the District of Columbia, with 23.2 percent. The second most poverty-stricken state was Florida, at 19.5 percent.

The recognition of California's shockingly high poverty rate comes as a part of a shift in the way the Census Bureau measures its data. When the government began examining poverty back in the early 1960s, the line for determining who fell underneath the threshold was determined solely by looking at food costs.

In the decades since, there's been increasing criticism this benchmark, as it doesn't take into account tax rates and assistance programs such as food stamps, child care expenses and medical costs. In examining its most recent data, the Census Bureau considered these previously ignored factors, deemed the "supplemental poverty measure."...

10 Nov 2013 17:45 #53 by Rick

Blazer Bob wrote: www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/califo...verty_n_2132920.html

"California has a poverty rate of 23.5 percent, the highest of any state in the country, according to figures released this week by the United States Census Bureau.

The only other geographic region with an equivalent poverty rate is the District of Columbia, with 23.2 percent. The second most poverty-stricken state was Florida, at 19.5 percent.

The recognition of California's shockingly high poverty rate comes as a part of a shift in the way the Census Bureau measures its data. When the government began examining poverty back in the early 1960s, the line for determining who fell underneath the threshold was determined solely by looking at food costs.

In the decades since, there's been increasing criticism this benchmark, as it doesn't take into account tax rates and assistance programs such as food stamps, child care expenses and medical costs. In examining its most recent data, the Census Bureau considered these previously ignored factors, deemed the "supplemental poverty measure."...

So in other words, we need to have the OP change the title to "California Leading The Way in Progressive Poverty"

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Nov 2013 17:52 #54 by FredHayek
I think both California and Florida attract the poor. And California has very good benefits for those who don't want to work.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Nov 2013 18:00 #55 by Blazer Bob

FredHayek wrote: I think both California and Florida attract the poor. And California has very good benefits for those who don't want to work.

1983 the BIL of a shipmate of mine arrived in San Diego from Minnesota because they heard being unemployed there payed better.

About that same time a friend complained to the principal of the school his daughter was attending about the education she was not getting and was told he was a racist.

10 Nov 2013 18:51 #56 by LOL
"California leading the way on the economy" :rofllol

Obamacare will reduce healthcare premiums! :rofllol

Reduce Deficits! :rofllol

Won't raise taxes on the middle class by one nickel! :rofllol

Create lots of new jobs! :rofllol

Fight for the middle class! :rofllol

Rah Rah! Hope and Change! Transparency. Bipartisanship. Working together! :rofllol

I'm Sorry. I had to keep it simple for the dumbed down citizens, err subjects/voting units.

Period. :rofllol

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

11 Nov 2013 07:19 #57 by pineinthegrass
California is still leading the way... in unemployment.

47th worst out of 50 states at 8.9%.

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

11 Nov 2013 07:29 #58 by LOL

Blazer Bob wrote: The recognition of California's shockingly high poverty rate comes as a part of a shift in the way the Census Bureau measures its data.

Expect to see more of this-

Poverty
Unemployment
Inflation
COLA
Tax brackets
etc.

No need for legislation, just change statistical measures that much of gov't spending is tied to. Another way to get around congress.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

11 Nov 2013 07:52 #59 by The Boss
All states are in competition, I remind state tax departments and agencies all the time. I say well CO or OR does not do that and they are fine. They say well we are not CO or OR. I say yes, but my company can go there in stead of your state.

I think most people forget this. How mobile both you and your business is if you don't burden yourself too much in one place. This makes for more opportunity in stead of the who as me that most people feel when things are not the best locally (like folks on unemployment when there are places with more jobs).

11 Nov 2013 09:02 #60 by FredHayek

on that note wrote: All states are in competition, I remind state tax departments and agencies all the time. I say well CO or OR does not do that and they are fine. They say well we are not CO or OR. I say yes, but my company can go there in stead of your state.

I think most people forget this. How mobile both you and your business is if you don't burden yourself too much in one place. This makes for more opportunity in stead of the who as me that most people feel when things are not the best locally (like folks on unemployment when there are places with more jobs).

Good point. When I go to trade shows, often states will set up booths to attract companies. Some push educated workforces and some boast lower taxes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds