Tell me something about yourself

09 Mar 2013 18:44 #1 by Moonchild
I know I've been around for a little while now, but I realized that I don't know much about everyone who posts here. I'd love if you could share something about yourself so we could get to know each other better!

I'll start! I have 2 young beautiful sweet children, am married to someone who is the complete opposite of me, love the earth, think meditation is something everyone should do on a regular basis (or at least try!), and would love to travel more than I do. Music that I love includes wood flutes or water sounds or wind gently blowing through the trees. :pinkrose: :fishbowl:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2013 18:56 #2 by Blazer Bob
Retired Chief from the USN. Trained as a surface sonar tech. although I probably spent more time with other duties and I do not care to be addressed as mister or sir.

09 Mar 2013 19:04 #3 by archer
Retired small business owner.....Data Base design and management, for non-profits, former dancer, classical ballet, married for 11 years to a Navy guy, (naval intelligence), he was also a small business owner, retired, have 2 great kids and 3 grandchildren.

09 Mar 2013 19:05 #4 by archer
Oh....this is a great idea for a thread Moonchild.

09 Mar 2013 19:17 #5 by Moonchild
Of course Ms. archer! :happier: I'm envious of your background - I begged my parents to get me traditional dance and piano lessons when I was young, and they never did. Don't know if it was because they didn't have the money, didn't think it was important, or didn't want to deal with the hassle of it, but I still regret it. I'm trying to learn the piano but it's hard. I'm only barely staying ahead of my kids! lol

It seems like you and your husband are quite different as well. Is that true? While I deeply appreciate the balance that it brings our lives, and children, sometimes it makes getting along terribly difficult. With differing interests, we drift apart and have to work hard to come back together. He's my soulmate so we'll never stop working at it, but there are days that I really wish marriage was so much easier.

Sorry Mr. Blazer Bob, I like to show respect by saying sir or ma'am, it's just how I was raised. But if you really don't like it, I will stop for you only. :sunshine: What all does a Chief do?

09 Mar 2013 19:44 #6 by archer
It helps to come from an artistic family Moonchild, my mom was a ballet teacher with her own studio, my dad a very accomplished tenor, my brother a pianist, who later became a helicopter pilot in Viet Nam. Funny how lives can twist and turn.

09 Mar 2013 19:46 #7 by archer
If marriage was easier, it wouldn't be very interesting would it.

09 Mar 2013 19:57 #8 by Moonchild
That makes sense. My dad was an accountant and my mom a nurse before she quit to stay home with us, they were practical people. Not really many artists in my family, we're mostly made up of blue-collar type workers, only a few college graduates.

Hard work as interesting? Yes, that's a good way to look at it. Thanks!
:rainbowheart:

09 Mar 2013 20:55 #9 by Blazer Bob

Moonchild wrote: [

Sorry Mr. Blazer Bob, I like to show respect by saying sir or ma'am, it's just how I was raised. But if you really don't like it, I will stop for you only. :sunshine: What all does a Chief do?

1'st It is outside my comfort zone but you can call me anything that works for you.

2'nd there are just so many ways to answer that I just do not know what to say. Sorry I could not find a better image of this.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFVJDXx1pt52kWqGXitsQ-401yIyImPpQkWCs_K_zs10nAepgd

09 Mar 2013 21:56 #10 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote:

Moonchild wrote: :sunshine: What all does a Chief do?[/color]

2'nd there are just so many ways to answer that I just do not know what to say. Sorry I could not find a better image of this.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFVJDXx1pt52kWqGXitsQ-401yIyImPpQkWCs_K_zs10nAepgd

What does a US Navy Chief do? What doesn't a US Navy chief do!? US Navy Chiefs are the medium between the officers and the enlisted personnel that ensure everything that needs to happen every hour of the day takes place and is done at a level that meets every specification that applies. While the US Navy Chiefs are not the commercial equivalent of the CEO, CFO, or CIO of a commercial company, they are the middle management that makes things that matter happen.

A Chief is a leader who is held responsible by his leadership and those he leads. A Chief must maintain the delicate balance between being an uncaring servant to the leadership's demands and the practical abilities and needs of the crew. A Chief ensures that there is a balance between what the crew can do and meeting what the mission and the command demand. Above all, A Chief is a mission enabler and a problem solver (sometimes working outside normal convention and regulations ;^) ). A Chief doesn't need to know everything, he/she merely needs to have subject matter experts at hand and the skills to consult them to formulate solutions that resolve operational issues and meet mission requirements.

A Chief is an individual who knows how to and is very capable of motivating individuals and teams, demand precise results, and acquire them while doing everything he/she can to ensure every individual who plays a critical role in accomplishing a mission is recognized for their efforts. Recognition might come in the form of a hand shake and a piece of paper, a few days liberty, or just a pat on the back and a word of thanks; recognition is equally important no matter what form it takes.

Chiefs coax more from their teams on a voluntary basis, requesting service to others in need outside their official duties and work hours. Chiefs lead the way by example, they show others how to serve by offering others opportunities to serve people in need while not on duty. Charity, especially in the face of disaster is key.

Chiefs are not always the Chaplin, nor are they Mom, Dad, Brother, or sister, but they often are a shoulder to to lean on, an ear to talk to, and good advisers to take advice from when things are not going well for an individual. A Chief makes him/her self available to any individual under their command when they are needed, Chiefs will likely bail crew members out of jail but ensure that individuals receive appropriate punishment under the UCMJ.

How do I know? 26 years of service in the US Navy, went in as an E1 and retired as an O3. I stepped off the path a few times and was corrected by more than one Chief that I was out of line and told what to do to correct my behavior. Currently working as an Aerospace contractor specializing in Information Technology (especially main frames and older systems that are no longer supported), traveling more than I want to, often to place I don't want to go to. I like food, drink, dogs, and computers in that order.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds