Tell me something about yourself

10 Mar 2013 08:21 #11 by navycpo7
Another Retired Chief Petty Officer from the US Navy, retired in 96. Was a "Hole Snipe". Worked in Engineerng Department. I was a Interior Communications Electrician. Spent most of my career underway on Aircraft Carriers. Before that was a military brat. Pretty much spent most of my time growing up in Germany. My dad was stationed there a lot. Stuttgart, Darmstadt, and some other places. Got to travel a lot of places as a kid growing up in Europe, my mother is German but naturalized citizen. Did my tours overseas, the gulf, bosnia and that is all I will say about that. Have three great kids, a daughter and two sons. One currently serving in the Army, going on 10 years. My father was also Army, retired Sgt Maj with 30 years, my brother served. I moved back to Colorado (born in the springs) after being in Texas for 3 years after I retired from the Navy. I am divorced. I stay busy right now with the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Currently the Post Commander of the Conifer Post and also the State Jr Vice Commander. (All elected offices). Stay active in the community and with helping Veterans and thier families.

and like Blazer Bob, the sir thing, I understand about the respect thing and all, just not much for it. It a Chief thing :biggrin:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2013 13:32 #12 by Moonchild
Thank you for the detailed explanation Mr. otis. I'm finding it a little ironic though, that you Chiefs have a job that requires a huge amount of respect from those both above and below you to get your job done/follow your orders, yet you do not wish people to express that respect in addressing you? It's a delightful inconsistency - are you all very modest as well? :)

Mr. otis, you sem to have forgotten bacon in your list, or were you including that in your "food category"? I ask because you seem to love the Bacon thread. :happier:

We seem to have many Chiefs, any other professions represented? Professors, artists, mechanics, bakers, athletes?
:sunshine: :bball: :fishing: :cowboypistol:

10 Mar 2013 14:16 #13 by deltamrey
FOR THE CHIEFS (BTW I was a PO1 in NAVOCS promoted to MMC(SS))...missed the initiation.........MUSTANG, 22 years......tin cans and boats..........fun, fun...went too fast):

"THE FIVE MOST DANGEROUS PRONOUNCMENTS IN THE US NAVY"

A Seaman saying "I learned this in boot camp...."
A Petty Officer saying "Trust me sir......."
An Ensign saying "Based on my experience....."
A Lieutenant saying "I was just thinking...."
A CHIEF Chuckling "Watch this shit....."

Essentially having been all five.......seems familiar.......

A civilian saying............"......................."................VOID

10 Mar 2013 14:38 #14 by Grady
I am so glad we have a Navy. How else would the Marines get to where they are needed for battle? :biggrin:
Former Marine, Vietnam Vet. College graduate. Been involved with computer hardware for many years. I still work I manage a bunch of FEs (Field Engineers) who do do computer break/fix across the country.

Kids are long grown and are successful professionals in their own right. Yep grand kids.

I consider myself a liberal . :lol:

My favorite Navy story: I was on board an LST USS Clark County. The sailors were holding a man overboard drill. The ship slowed and was maneuvering around. Over the loud speaker we could hear " Man overboard port side" "Man overboard Port side" This went on for a while, with the ship still maneuvering around. Suddenly over the loudspeaker we heard :Man overboard Starboard side". All of us Marines looked at each other with the same thought " crap they just ran over their own guy." :VeryScared:

10 Mar 2013 15:19 #15 by deltamrey
Grady.....SEALS eat JARBOONS for breakfast (well a few....very few grunts are SEALS.......: )) Thanks for you gate guards.

10 Mar 2013 17:02 #16 by chickaree
I am a housewife. My family and my faith are the center of my life. I love living in the Colorado mountains. As you can probably tell by reading my posts, I am a conflicted conservative. I believe in fiscal conservativism and limited government but am dismayed at the recent stances my party has taken. I have a gay nephew, who is like a son to me. He opened my eyes to the importance of allowing everyone to form a family with their life partner. I also have many beloved liberal friends and family members, so I do not join in on the hate fests that both sides here seem to relish. I consider myself a Red Letter Christian who tries to have the words of Jesus inform all of my life choices.

10 Mar 2013 17:24 #17 by Grady

deltamrey wrote: Grady.....SEALS eat JARBOONS for breakfast (well a few....very few grunts are SEALS.......: )) Thanks for you gate guards.

Somebody has to be trusted to handle the firearms. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

10 Mar 2013 19:13 #18 by ScienceChic
I had to write this 1st paragraph up for the Conifer Area Chamber of Commerce last week and it kind of fits (with some edits) for this thread.

A former scientist, wife, mother of two, and owner of 285Bound.com, I hail from Cincinnati, and am a life-long Bengals fan, so I'm comfortable being, and rooting for, the underdog, tenaciously persevering, and remaining ever-hopeful for the future! My driving motivation is to make a difference, seek out truth, raise awareness for my passionate causes of science, the environment, and eliminating child abuse, and serve the greater community however is needed. When not working, you'll find me reading, doing pilates, volunteering at my kids' school participating in the parent-taught science program called ELF and going on field trips and helping with the book fair, geeking out over upcoming sci-fi/fantasy movies, heading to the theater at midnight to watch them open, gardening, listening to music, coaching football teams loudly and critically from the couch, or enjoying a bottle of wine and good food with friends and family on my deck.

I chair the 285 Tourism Committee for the Conifer and Platte Canyon Area Chambers of Commerce, I'm on the PR/Marketing Committee for the Platte Canyon Chamber, and I'm an Ambassador for the Conifer Chamber. I never in a million years thought that I'd be a business woman, or that I'd be comfortable interacting with people (I went into science b/c I thought I wanted to avoid people!), but I love what I do because this work is so much more immediate in feeling like I make a difference than science ever was. Don't get me wrong, I still love my science, and will always miss doing it (and am thankful for the knowledge it gave me to succeed elsewhere), but here I've found my calling, and am honored and grateful every day to serve.

Someday I'd still like to finish my PhD, travel to Greece, Tibet, New Zealand, Australia, and China, and learn Taekwondo and archery. [spoiler:45u6uk2v]After I take over the world.[/spoiler:45u6uk2v] :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Mar 2013 19:22 #19 by FOS
Have lived in the mountains for over 25 years.
Born in Texas but call this beautiful place home now.
Have an amazing husband and 4 outstanding grown children. 7 grandchildren who are our reward for bothering to have kids at all.
We operate 2 very successful businesses here in the community.
I love gardening and camping and don't get to do enough of either.
I am not a liberal.

10 Mar 2013 19:53 #20 by jf1acai
I'm just a flatlander (now) who was born and raised in the REAL mountains of Colorado <evil grin>, have seen and worked in a lot of the rest of the US, and have always been happy to return to Colorado.

I'm now in my 4th career (retirement), after many enjoyable years as (1) Industrial Construction Electrical Engineer, (2) Construction and Computer Consultant, and (3) Warehouse Manager (I thought it would be a good 8 - 5 job to slow down a bit with, boy was I wrong! :biggrin: It was a good job, but NOT 8 - 5! ).

I'm enjoying helping out wherever I can, and seems like I am busier now than ever!

And of course, I like to harass where ever/when ever the mood strikes. :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds