We will have to look at who & what we are-Sandy Hook photos

13 Mar 2013 17:16 #1 by Wicked
I dare you to read this article and decide its merits based on the historical comparisons and whether you think that the way our society exists, as it is, is acceptable. I dare you.

The year was 1955. Emmett Till was a young African-American boy from Chicago visiting relatives in Mississippi. One day Emmett was seen "flirting" with a white woman in town, and for that he was mutilated and murdered at the age of fourteen.

To the shock of many, his mother insisted on an open casket at his funeral so that the public could see what happens to a little boy's body when bigots decide he is less than human. "I just wanted the world to see," she said. "I just wanted the world to see."

The world did see, and nothing was ever the same again for the white supremacists of the United States of America. Because of Emmett Till, because of that shocking photograph of this little dead boy, just a few months later, "the revolt officially began on December 1, 1955" (from Eyes on the Prize) when Rosa Parks decided not to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

But I am telling you now, that moment will come with the Newtown photos – and you will have to look. You will have to look at who and what we are, and what we've allowed to happen. At the end of World War II, General Eisenhower ordered that thousands of German civilians be forced to march through the concentration camps so they could witness what was happening just down the road from them during the years that they turned their gaze away, or didn't ask, or didn't do anything to stop the murder of millions.

We've done nothing since Columbine – nothing – and as a result there have been over 30 other mass shootings since then. Our inaction means that we are all, on some level, responsible – and therefore, because of our burying our heads in the sand, we must be forced to look at the 20 dead children at Sandy Hook Elementary.

Most of us continue to say we "support the Second Amendment" as if it were written by God (or we're just afraid of being seen as anti-American). But this amendment was written by the same white men who thought a Negro was only 3/5 human. We've done nothing to revise or repeal this – and that makes us responsible, and that is why we must look at the pictures of the 20 dead children laying with what's left of their bodies on the classroom floor in Newtown, Connecticut.

Yes, someday a Sandy Hook mother – or a Columbine mother, or an Aurora mother, or a mother from massacres yet to come – will say, like the mother of Emmett Till, "I just want the world to see." And then nothing about guns in this country will ever be the same again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-m ... 66126.html

We'll hold this line until Hell freezes over --Then we'll hold it on ice skates.-Anonymous picket sign

Couldn’t, wouldn’t, mustn’t, shouldn’t – these are the laments of the spineless. –Bette Davis

Feminist. We Just Call Out Bulls**t Where We See It.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2013 17:56 #2 by LadyJazzer
I hope they come out... As gruesome and tasteless as that will be... I want America to see what those assault-weapon rounds did to those 20 little bodies... And then those NRA pukes will start looking to climb back under their rocks.

13 Mar 2013 17:58 #3 by FredHayek
We didn't show the death of Osama Bin Laden a terrorist why show the death of innocent children? Would you want the parents to have to see this time and time again? You are a heartless person. America knows what happened but you and the fat slob Michael Moore want to wallow in it. You do live up to your name.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Mar 2013 19:01 #4 by archer

FredHayek wrote: We didn't show the death of Osama Bin Laden a terrorist why show the death of innocent children? Would you want the parents to have to see this time and time again? You are a heartless person. America knows what happened but you and the fat slob Michael Moore want to wallow in it. You do live up to your name.

And conservatives think it's quite OK to publish pictures of aborted fetuses, why one was posted here just today.....spare me your feigned outrage Fred.

13 Mar 2013 20:33 #5 by homeagain
OUR LIVES BEGIN TO END,THE MOMENT WE ARE SILENT ABOUT THINGS THAT MATTER...................the pictures are a REMINDER of
the brutality of guns.

I saw, in REAL TIME, Jackie Kennedy's pink suit, stained and splattered with the President's blood. It wasn't until much later in life that
I understood the reason for that. It was suggested to Jackie that she change her suit before she boarded the plane that carried her husband's body..............She said NO. I WANT THEM TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO MY HUSBAND.

Let the pictures be viewed and let it be a REMINDER OF THE REASON we are debating this subject. JMO

13 Mar 2013 20:38 #6 by Obam me
There are only two differences between what happened to the children at Sandy Hook and the babies that were murdered in abortion mills that day.

1)The tool used to kill the children at Sandy Hook was a gun, whereas the unborn babies that were killed that day were killed with a knife and a suction hose, and

2) The monster who gunned down the children is considered deranged and is rightly condemed by all society; however, the one who sucked out those tiny baby parts and ripped arms and legs off an unborn baby was paid to do so by his Mother and is one who liberal feminists and their irresponsible sperm donors hold in high regard.

Like I've said before - Liberal logic = Oxymoron.

13 Mar 2013 20:50 #7 by Obam me
By the way Wicked...your "who &what we are" title is disgusting and repulsive. If that's what you really think then I can't imagine what YOU see when YOU look in the mirror.

Don't paint with such a broad brush...as your liberal friends always like to say. Good grief.

13 Mar 2013 22:21 #8 by Wicked

FredHayek wrote: We didn't show the death of Osama Bin Laden a terrorist why show the death of innocent children? Would you want the parents to have to see this time and time again? You are a heartless person. America knows what happened but you and the fat slob Michael Moore want to wallow in it. You do live up to your name.

And if it's the parents who release those photos, because they see their children like that every time they close their eyes anyway, instead of how they should be able to remember them? Sometimes you have to be heartless and slap people across the face with the truth of reality. Most of America has absolutely no clue what happened, not on a personal, emotional, daily level like those parents and those first responders do, and other parents and first responders who've had to clean up after other situations like this. Do you know that there are some who've had to leave their jobs and are dealing with PTSD thanks to what they saw there? Do you comprehend the depths of those parents' horror every night, seeing their mangled childrens' bodies in their nightmares? You have no clue just imagining it, just as this country had no clue until Emmitt Till's mother forced them to look. Until the country was forced to see what US soldiers had done in Viet Nam. Until Bosnian genocide photos surfaced. And so on and so forth. Look at those photos and tell me you're okay with the way we live right now? Until we are no longer able to deny the evidence because it is staring us in the face, our imaginations will keep it pretty, and clean, and sterile and we IGNORE it. No, I don't want to wallow in it, but I do want there to be something done about it this time, and if that means facing a horror that will never be erased from our memories so we learn from it and get motivated now, then suck it up cupcake. As Moore said, nothing changed after Columbine, and if pro-gun advocates aren't willing to come to the table and discuss anything, then we continue the cycle - is that okay with you?

bin Laden was a grown man who through his own actions and deeds caused his execution - he engineered the murder of thousands and deserved his death. What did those school children do to that boy who killed them to deserve their fates? Can you really equate the two? To show the results of this massacre, and a culture that glorifies violence and independence from potential tyranny by making sure the masses are armed to the teeth in ways that those who wrote those laws never imagined, and a mental health system that failed the shooters family, is necessary because all we are getting now is fear-based rhetoric that "they're coming for your guns" - bullshit.

Do you remember why the German citizens were forced to march through those death camps? So they couldn't claim that they knew nothing about their existence and that the atrocities were fabricated by the victors as nothing so horrific could've actually happened. Well, guess what? It did, and they were complicit, and no that was not cruel and unusual punishment to march them through there. Without photographic evidence to document the evil that some men are capable of, without eyewitness accounts, it would've faded into history by now - a picture and reality tell a thousand words. History has provided us rich visual lessons of what we are capable of, and it's only when we face our demons that we are willing to fight them and become better for it. If you are unwilling to face that, then you need to ask yourself why, and face your own fears.

Look at who we are and what we did isn't my title, it's Moore's own words straight from that article, but I sure wish I'd thought of them because he's dead on. A broad brush? Why yes, it applies to us all, including myself. Why, does it hit too close to home that we are all responsible for this IB? I look in the mirror and I think that I need to do something about it because an innocent 6 year old with their jaw blown off and their body riddled with 11 bullet holes with enough force to break bones not even in the vicinity of the impact is absolutely not acceptable to me - is it to you? Can you even picture the scene in that classroom as if you were the first one in there, how many parts weren't attached to bodies, how much blood was still spreading out on the floor? Is it uncomfortable for you, who insults liberals hourly, to be on the side that continues to advocate no regulations in favor of being able to protect yourself from some possible anarchy or assailant? I've seen absolutely no suggestions from you about how to reduce violence and better protect our children, so what would you do?

We'll hold this line until Hell freezes over --Then we'll hold it on ice skates.-Anonymous picket sign

Couldn’t, wouldn’t, mustn’t, shouldn’t – these are the laments of the spineless. –Bette Davis

Feminist. We Just Call Out Bulls**t Where We See It.

14 Mar 2013 05:47 #9 by RenegadeCJ
I'm fine to show the pics. What it tells me is "look what happens to children when there are no good people with guns, only bad people", or "this is what is likely to happen in a gun free zone".

Guns are not the problem. Evil people are.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

14 Mar 2013 06:50 #10 by homeagain

Im baaaack wrote: By the way Wicked...your "who &what we are" title is disgusting and repulsive. If that's what you really think then I can't imagine what YOU see when YOU look in the mirror.

Don't paint with such a broad brush...as your liberal friends always like to say. Good grief.

PERHAPS another way of looking at this subject...........from a metaphysical viewpoint,20 young,vibrant souls elected to experience
a BRUTAL AND EARLY demise. They accepted this task with grace and with the UNDERSTANDING that it was necessary for A SHIFT IN
THE PARADIGM. They are NOW observing our actions and deeply hope that their COMPLETED task was NOT in vain........ :pinkrose:

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds