Jail vs. New Communication Building

03 Aug 2010 08:50 #1 by mama bear
I've seen posters wanting to see a $$$ figure for remodeling a section, of the jail, versus a $$$ figure for a new building. That appears to be a mute point. There is an open bid on PC government site and, thus far, 1 bid has been received. They plan to begin the new building on, or before, Oct 4th of this year. That is only 2 moths away. So, whether we like it, or not, we are getting a new Communications building. It seems to be a done deal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2010 11:26 #2 by Tilt
Building this new Patriot Act ??? like???? building. For what,
whats in it for them?.

03 Aug 2010 23:09 #3 by navycpo7
they should cancel this mega comm center, those that work in the comm center now, if they do not like thier current offices, well they can always quit, and go somewhere else. We do not need this mega comm center, Get a couple of special modulars, put them up, wire them up install the gear and wiring and you are up and running. cost approx 300,000. It would not be a good idea to put it in the jail complex without some remodeling work to ensure safety from the inmates if a riot or something was to happen.

04 Aug 2010 04:56 #4 by Let the Wildlife run PC
What I don't understand is WHY John Tighe is NOT backing off of this $2.5 million dollar figure for a new comm. center. REALLY sends up a red flag. It's like he won't even consider anything else!! Could it be that he asks for $2.5 million for a new building, then the building in reality costs only $1.0 mil. Tighe reports to the Flume that "yes indeed the bid came out to $2.5",... my question would be at that point, "what happened to the extra $1.5 million?" Why aren't they having us involved in this whole decision? I just don't think for a minute that this new building would cost $2.5, that seems a little extreme. I bet that new Hotel in Fairplay cost about that much. He definitely doesn't want the community involved in this one!! It's all going to be done behind "closed doors" as usual. Why in the heck did we vote this guy in again???

Tighe won't even consider putting it in our empty Jail. The dispatch/comm. center should be the most protected building in our County, what better place than the Jail? I would think the "intake" area would be perfect, it's larger than the old comm/dispatch Mac. building! And more protected. Intake is quite a bit away from the general population of inmates. In case of "riots" as Navy speaks of, (first of all that statement cracked me up, made it sound like a hardend maximum security prison with mass murderers behind those walls, lol ..) another wall could be built between the two. I'm sure it can be designed for everyones safety, and cost a whole lot less than $2.5.

It's been told to us at every "debate, meet the candidates" meetings that our Jail is going broke, we will never fill up those beds again, that "we were all lied to about the Jail and it's money making ability". Seems all candidates with the exception of Samantha Bertin agree on putting communications in the Jail. Since it's just going to be an empty space, and "draining our wallets", why not use it for the communications center? The Sheriffs Office alone is $1.5 million in the hole right now, (as stated at every meeting) and Fred borrows another $400k every quarter (which is talked about at every meeting) just to pay the SO's bills. We definitly CANNOT afford this $2.5 million dollar building!! Why not use what we've got, and why not post every bid that the commissioners receive for us to see, and why in the hell isn't there a vote on the subject? :VeryScared: something smells pretty fishy,....they haven't been honest with us about the Jail so far, why would they start?

04 Aug 2010 07:25 #5 by eaglebear
It is strange that there is such a push to get this new building contracted ut before the election. John who is also a S.O. officer as well as a Commish is pushing Freds agenda with no reguard for the public needs. Yes where the dispach is isnt good but to spend $2.5 mill with out public is outrages. Is it time for a recall election?

04 Aug 2010 07:31 #6 by Nmysys
It's definitely time for something different to happen in this county!

What a novel idea, use what we have instead of spending more.

04 Aug 2010 11:41 #7 by shilohloki

4evryoung wrote: What I don't understand is WHY John Tighe is NOT backing off of this $2.5 million dollar figure for a new comm. center. REALLY sends up a red flag. It's like he won't even consider anything else!! Could it be that he asks for $2.5 million for a new building, then the building in reality costs only $1.0 mil. Tighe reports to the Flume that "yes indeed the bid came out to $2.5",... my question would be at that point, "what happened to the extra $1.5 million?" Why aren't they having us involved in this whole decision? I just don't think for a minute that this new building would cost $2.5, that seems a little extreme. I bet that new Hotel in Fairplay cost about that much. He definitely doesn't want the community involved in this one!! It's all going to be done behind "closed doors" as usual. Why in the heck did we vote this guy in again???

Tighe won't even consider putting it in our empty Jail. The dispatch/comm. center should be the most protected building in our County, what better place than the Jail? I would think the "intake" area would be perfect, it's larger than the old comm/dispatch Mac. building! And more protected. Intake is quite a bit away from the general population of inmates. In case of "riots" as Navy speaks of, (first of all that statement cracked me up, made it sound like a hardend maximum security prison with mass murderers behind those walls, lol ..) another wall could be built between the two. I'm sure it can be designed for everyones safety, and cost a whole lot less than $2.5.

It's been told to us at every "debate, meet the candidates" meetings that our Jail is going broke, we will never fill up those beds again, that "we were all lied to about the Jail and it's money making ability". Seems all candidates with the exception of Samantha Bertin agree on putting communications in the Jail. Since it's just going to be an empty space, and "draining our wallets", why not use it for the communications center? The Sheriffs Office alone is $1.5 million in the hole right now, (as stated at every meeting) and Fred borrows another $400k every quarter (which is talked about at every meeting) just to pay the SO's bills. We definitly CANNOT afford this $2.5 million dollar building!! Why not use what we've got, and why not post every bid that the commissioners receive for us to see, and why in the hell isn't there a vote on the subject? :VeryScared: something smells pretty fishy,....they haven't been honest with us about the Jail so far, why would they start?

You laugh, but they've had riots in there! Yes, I am serious. It's just that the public doesn't get to hear about it. Near escapes too. They do indeed take maximum-security guys from other places quite frequently in the past. Makes you feel safe living in Fairplay, now wouldn't it?
And you are right, they should look at remodeling it. The intake probably wouldn't work simply because the whole sallyport and entrance/exit gates are set-up around it and you need those. But perhaps E and F pods couold be isolated from the rest of the building with a little re-construction.

04 Aug 2010 12:12 #8 by Tilt
Found money for Communications bunker?. Land Water Trust-trustees
having a open public meeting this time at Shawnee Center 6:30PM
AUGUST 5,2010. They have $700,000 extra of our money to spend
on Their projects(Sport Stadium) and maybe some of it to the "bunker"??.
Spend, spend, spend. BK(Bankrupt?)-It would obligate us for decades?

04 Aug 2010 14:34 #9 by Mtn Gramma

4evryoung wrote: Intake is quite a bit away from the general population of inmates. In case of "riots" as Navy speaks of, (first of all that statement cracked me up, made it sound like a hardend maximum security prison with mass murderers behind those walls, lol ..) another wall could be built between the two. I'm sure it can be designed for everyones safety, and cost a whole lot less than $2.5.

There is no restriction of what types of inmates ParkCo will accept from other agencies or DOC. You say it cracks you up -- it's really not so far-fetched.

06 Aug 2010 20:37 #10 by The Boss
Everyone talks about the jail, what about the brand new search and rescue building, every time I go buy I just hear crickets, why can't we use this building.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds