Lois Lerner - Top IRS official will invoke 5th Amendment

21 May 2013 15:25 #1 by Reverend Revelant
Nothing to see here... sure... right...

Top IRS official will invoke 5th Amendment

WASHINGTON — A top IRS official in the division that reviews nonprofit groups will invoke the 5th Amendment and refuse to answer questions before a House committee investigating the agency’s improper screening of conservative nonprofit groups.

Lois Lerner, the head of the exempt organizations division of the IRS, won’t answer questions about what she knew about the improper screening — or why she didn’t disclose it to Congress, according to a letter from her defense lawyer, William W. Taylor III. Lerner was scheduled to appear before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.

“She has not committed any crime or made any misrepresentation but under the circumstances she has no choice but to take this course,” said a letter by Taylor to committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Vista). The letter, sent Monday, was obtained Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times.

Taylor, a criminal defense attorney from the Washington firm Zuckerman Spaeder, said that the Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.

Since Lerner won’t answer questions, Taylor asked that she be excused from appearing, saying that would “have no purpose other than to embarrass or burden her.” There was no immediate word whether the committee will grant her request.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... 5565.story

Here is the word now... yes... she will be in front of the committee tomorrow (Wed. 05-22-2013) and she can publically plead the 5th for two hours. Great optics. Nothing to see here... huh? Bullcrap.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2013 15:57 #2 by Rick
And this person is the best Obama can find to oversee a huge part of Obamacare? But I suppose it's apropriate to put this nightmare in control of a bigger nightmare.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 May 2013 16:13 #3 by Reverend Revelant

Rick wrote: And this person is the best Obama can find to oversee a huge part of Obamacare? But I suppose it's apropriate to put this nightmare in control of a bigger nightmare.

Sarah Hall Ingram is head of the ObamaCare division at the IRS. You're getting your incompetent Obama flunkies confused... with all these scandals in the last few months... that's not hard to do.

21 May 2013 16:17 #4 by Something the Dog Said

Rick wrote: And this person is the best Obama can find to oversee a huge part of Obamacare? But I suppose it's apropriate to put this nightmare in control of a bigger nightmare.

The President is not involved in personnel decisions at any level below the appointment of IRS Commissioner. But you knew that.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

21 May 2013 16:18 #5 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote:

The President is not involved in personnel decisions at any level below the appointment of IRS Commissioner. But you knew that.

Sarah Hall Ingram is head of the ObamaCare division at the IRS... not Lois Lerner... but you knew that?

21 May 2013 16:23 #6 by Reverend Revelant
Hmmmm...

Carney’s comments today are at odds with what he told reporters last week, when he said the White House counsel “only found out about the review being conducted and coming to conclusion by the inspector general.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-2 ... utiny.html

and...

Spotted: @joshtpm @capehartj @ezraklein & other lefty columnists headed into the West Wing as a group. POTUS coffee? Carney meeting? Anyone?

— Ari Shapiro (@arishapiro) May 21, 2013

Double hmmmm... looks like they are getting tomorrows "facts" all straight.

21 May 2013 19:47 #7 by Something the Dog Said

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Sarah Hall Ingram is head of the ObamaCare division at the IRS... not Lois Lerner... but you knew that?

Did not know, did not care. But then you knew that the President does not make personnel decisions at levels below the IRS Commissioner.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

21 May 2013 19:54 #8 by Reverend Revelant

Did not know, did not care. But then you knew that the President does not make personnel decisions at levels below the IRS Commissioner.

Where did I claim he did?

21 May 2013 20:34 #9 by Rick

Sarah Hall Ingram is head of the ObamaCare division at the IRS. You're getting your incompetent Obama flunkies confused... with all these scandals in the last few months... that's not hard to do.

Ya, doesn't she handle the mandate part and fines? She looks like a real sweetheart from that one pic... she must see "my kind" as a nuckle draggin racist.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 May 2013 20:49 #10 by Rick

Obama acts like he doesn't know whats going on because he never wants to get his hands dirty. But if you think this guy's not influencing the picks on these big jobs, you didnt see how he influenced the CIA along side the State Dept. Yup, that's just my opinion which I know means nothing to you. (and I could care less)

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds