SCOTUS DOMA unconstitutional/Prop 8 punted back

26 Jun 2013 08:17 - 26 Jun 2013 17:13 #1 by Reverend Revelant
Good decision...

The Supreme Court has ruled that a portion of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which denies federal benefits to same-sex couples, is unconstitutional. This went 5-4, with Kennedy joining the majority.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12 ... 7_g2bh.pdf

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jun 2013 08:19 #2 by FredHayek
Great news. Finally overturning Clinton's bigoted policies.

Half a loaf for homosexual couples? States like Colorado and California can still ban gay marriage.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Jun 2013 08:24 #3 by Reverend Revelant
And the Voting Rights Act decision was Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony M. Kennedy [/b][/i], Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr. and Roberts. And the DOMA decision was Kennedy going with the majority... hmmm... according to Something The Dog Said... should I abhor Kennedy or love Kennedy?

I'm so confused...

26 Jun 2013 08:29 #4 by Dumblonde
Anything short of black and white can be hard for the right to comprehend. Don't worry, we know that.

26 Jun 2013 08:34 #5 by FredHayek
This is a good foot in the door because it opens up federal recognition of homosexual marriages and you have to think this will lead to homosexual marriage being legal in all states. It makes no sense at all when other states have different rules for marriage like legal ages but other states still have to recognize the contracts, that homosexuals shouldn't be able to stay married as they move from state to state.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Jun 2013 08:38 #6 by Reverend Revelant

Dumblonde wrote: Anything short of black and white can be hard for the right to comprehend. Don't worry, we know that.

No... anything short of partisan blindness is hard for liberals to understand. If I was being black or white... I would be AGAINST the DOMA decision. As Lady Jazzer says... "But thanks for playing."

26 Jun 2013 08:41 - 26 Jun 2013 09:56 #7 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: Great news. Finally overturning Clinton's bigoted policies.

Half a loaf for homosexual couples? States like Colorado and California can still ban gay marriage.

Prop-8 was struck down... California's legal-marriage status is back in force... Look for the weddings to start up again in 30 days or less...

At least you got to use "Clinton" in a sentence... Clinton was forced to sign DOMA as a defense against a bunch of wacko Republicans who were prepared to try to ram through a Constitutional Amendment against gay marriage. He split the baby to keep the GOP bigots in their cages.

But I always love it when you try to rewrite history...

Oh, and...

Repeal of Amendment 43 is next

While lawmakers who voted for the bill called it "historic" and another milestone for gay rights in the state, some also noted that a civil union, while offering benefits and protections, is not equal to same-sex marriage.

Sen. Pat Steadman, D-Denver, who has sponsored the civil-unions bill for three years, said its passage is the high point of a decades-long struggle.

"I don't want anyone to think that we somehow reached the peak," Sen. Pat Steadman, D-Denver, said last week after SB 11 passed.

Reaching that peak -- same-sex marriage -- will require voters to repeal Amendment 43, which they approved with 53 percent of the vote in 2006. Amendment 43 defined marriage in Colorado as one between a man and a woman, essentially banning same-sex marriage.

It's likely we'll see a repeal measure on the November 2014 ballot. Predicting legalized gay marriage in Colorado isn't as easy as predicting civil unions.

http://www.timescall.com/opinion/editor ... 43-is-next

Guaranteed to send the right-wing over the edge.... :biggrin:

26 Jun 2013 08:51 #8 by LadyJazzer
Oh, and here's my prediction for the next few years...

1) The ruling eliminates DOMA only in states where marriage is already legal, (13, now that California has been restored, with the death of Prop-8)

2) People who are legally married in one of those 13 states will now be relocating to states where it is not legal...They will challenge the courts to have their LEGAL RIGHTS follow THEM to wherever they relocate, since the rights were granted in a state where it was legal.

3) Lawsuits will then be filed in order to obtain "equal protection" in those states where it is not legal. It will be illegal to treat one class of people differently just because they were married in another state.

4) One by one the states where it is not legal will begin to fall...

This is not a matter of "IF"....but "WHEN".... Ding, Dong, the DOMA is dead....

26 Jun 2013 08:54 #9 by Reverend Revelant

LadyJazzer wrote: Oh, and here's my prediction for the next few years...

1) The ruling eliminates DOMA only in states where marriage is already legal, (13, now that California has been restored, with the death of Prop-8)

2) People who are legally married in one of those 13 states will now be relocating to states where it is not legal...They will challenge the courts to have their LEGAL RIGHTS follow THEM to wherever they relocate, since the rights were granted in a state where it was legal.

3) Lawsuits will then be filed in order to obtain "equal protection" in those states where it is not legal. It will be illegal to treat one class of people differently just because they were married in another state.

4) One by one the states where it is not legal will begin to fall...

This is not a matter of "IF"....but "WHEN"....

Wow... and Roberts went with the majority on Prop 9... am I now suppose to like him again or still abhor him?

26 Jun 2013 09:38 #10 by Blazer Bob

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds