SCOTUS DOMA unconstitutional/Prop 8 punted back

26 Jun 2013 10:31 #21 by Rick

archer wrote: I never believed all conservatives were againat gay rights.... I know some conservatives who also support a woman's right to choose. Im just disappointed that so many conservatives who profess to be socially liberal do not carry that conviction into the ballot box. In this country, right now, extreme social conservatism seems to drive the GOP, until conservatives who care about social issues vote those beliefs, the Republican party will not change.

It's a matter of priorities for me archer. Other than killing babies at will, I'm socially liberal on quite a few issues. But right now, I think it's far more important that this country doesn't collapse under the weight of horrible fiscal policies. There are very few Democrats I could vote for who seem to understand what makes an economy grow and the debt shrink. Why don't Democrats who profess to be fiscally conservative, vote for fiscally conservative candidates? Obama certainly isn't.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jun 2013 10:43 #22 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote: Ding Dong Prop-8 is DEAD... Just not your day, is it, Fred?

But you got to use "liberal minorities" in a sentence...

I supported homosexual marriage before Obama did. But you are incorrect so often it is to be expected.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Jun 2013 11:02 #23 by Obam me

FredHayek wrote: I supported homosexual marriage before Obama did.

This is a predictable comment from the product of a society that has been stripped of its compass and rudder.

That shining city upon a hill whose beacon light guides freedom-loving people everywhere, that Reagan spoke of has been reduced to a fermenting turd in a porta potty in the desert and the only people around the world still clinging to the idea that it is still a place to be looked up to live in some hell hole where they are still crapping in a hole in the ground.

26 Jun 2013 11:18 #24 by Reverend Revelant

Im baaaack wrote:

This is a predictable comment from the product of a society that has been stripped of its compass and rudder.

That shining city upon a hill whose beacon light guides freedom-loving people everywhere, that Reagan spoke of has been reduced to a fermenting turd in a porta potty in the desert and the only people around the world still clinging to the idea that it is still a place to be looked up to live in some hell hole where they are still crapping in a hole in the ground.

And what is your problem with gay marriage? Scriptural reason, societal reasons... where did you purchase your compass... or are you just loaded with empty rhetoric... because so far you haven't used any critical thinking skill or even shown a level of intelligence in regards to this issue.

Or is this all we get? Because if it is... you may as well crawl back into your hole and hibernate until the end of the world.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 Jun 2013 11:26 #25 by FredHayek

Im baaaack wrote:

Or maybe you were just brainwashed? There are some cultural norms I grew up with that I evolved my views on, like America has on homosexual rights.

Interesting court split on the Prop 8 voting.
Roberts Scalia Breyer Ginsberg and Kagan threw it back to California. Alito, Thomas, Sotomayor, and Kennedy were dissenters.
Not your normal left/right split.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Jun 2013 13:46 #26 by archer

Rick wrote:

archer wrote: I never believed all conservatives were againat gay rights.... I know some conservatives who also support a woman's right to choose. Im just disappointed that so many conservatives who profess to be socially liberal do not carry that conviction into the ballot box. In this country, right now, extreme social conservatism seems to drive the GOP, until conservatives who care about social issues vote those beliefs, the Republican party will not change.

It's a matter of priorities for me archer. Other than killing babies at will, I'm socially liberal on quite a few issues. But right now, I think it's far more important that this country doesn't collapse under the weight of horrible fiscal policies. There are very few Democrats I could vote for who seem to understand what makes an economy grow and the debt shrink. Why don't Democrats who profess to be fiscally conservative, vote for fiscally conservative candidates? Obama certainly isn't.

Rick... I haven't seen a true fiscal conservative on either side of the aisle.... The GOP can't see beyond cut, cut, cut.... The Democrats can't see beyond tax, tax, tax.... Until I see one side or the other actually take a balanced economic ledger seriously, and that starts with a total tax code overhaul, I will continue to vote based on those issues that the two parties differ greatly on.... Social issues.

26 Jun 2013 17:36 #27 by deltamrey
This case was brought, as I read it, by a Canadian looking for benefits whose partner is DEAD......she just wanted to skim the trough.......this is the motivation of the entire movement- not emotions.
What the heck.....I am in LOVE....will take any sex, just want good medical and retirement benefits.....do not need to meet just sign the papers and I will love you until death do us part (can I marry my son BTW).....get it folks.
In the US Military it is called FRAUD and prosecuted rather routinely.....and the criminal is tossed back into the civilian masses.

26 Jun 2013 17:54 #28 by Something the Dog Said

deltamrey wrote: This case was brought, as I read it, by a Canadian looking for benefits whose partner is DEAD......she just wanted to skim the trough.......this is the motivation of the entire movement- not emotions.
What the heck.....I am in LOVE....will take any sex, just want good medical and retirement benefits.....do not need to meet just sign the papers and I will love you until death do us part (can I marry my son BTW).....get it folks.
In the US Military it is called FRAUD and prosecuted rather routinely.....and the criminal is tossed back into the civilian masses.

And you know that she did not love her partner of 40 years? That she felt that it was unjust that even though she had been in a committed relationship for 40 years, that the federal government denied her the ability to get married, to inherit without taxes from her partner even though hetersexual couples were able to inherit without taxes, that is FRAUD on her part? Really?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

26 Jun 2013 18:18 - 26 Jun 2013 19:30 #29 by LadyJazzer

deltamrey wrote: This case was brought, as I read it, by a Canadian looking for benefits whose partner is DEAD......she just wanted to skim the trough.......this is the motivation of the entire movement- not emotions.

You are wrong on so many points, it's hard to know where to begin...

1) No she was not a "Canadian"...She and her partner (of 44 years), who were New Yorkers, went to Canada to get married, (since the U.S. at the time was so woefully bigoted and ignorant that they couldn't do it in the States. Then they returned to their HOME STATE of New York. (In the meantime, New York passed a Marriage-Equality bill, which meant that their Canadian marriage is now legal in New York.)

2) When the partner died, of Multiple Sclerosis, the surviving partner was hit with a $363,000 estate-tax bill by the IRS that she would not have had to pay if she had been married to a man. She didn't have her hand out, or "skim the trough"...She is trying to RECOVER $363,000 of HER OWN MONEY that she was forced to pay, unfairly.

3) It wasn't then, and it isn't now, "fraud"... NOW what it is, is "EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW"...

Sux to be you, don't it? But don't let a lack of FACTS or INFORMATION get in the way of your righteous indignation...

26 Jun 2013 18:36 - 27 Jun 2013 06:59 #30 by LadyJazzer
And the BEST part?

Cardinal Dolan, Antonin Scalia, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are apoplectic...

(Limbaugh's FOUR ex-wives could not be reached for comment...) :lol:

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds