an ultimatum

01 Jul 2013 09:16 #1 by Blazer Bob
an ultimatum was created by Blazer Bob
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... -ultimatum

"By Ayman Mohyeldin and Charlene Gubash, NBC News

Egypt’s military on Monday gave the country's political parties an ultimatum to hold a meeting within 48 hours after 16 people were killed during mass protests against the government of President Mohammed Morsi.

In a statement read on state television, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi called the demonstrations against Morsi an "unprecedented" expression of the popular will.

And he said that if the people’s demands were not met within its deadline the Armed Forces would develop a road map to resolve the crisis and oversee the plan's implementation.

"If the demands of the people are not realized within the defined period, it will be incumbent upon (the armed forces)... to announce a road map for the future," said the statement by chief-of-staff General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2013 09:46 #2 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic an ultimatum
Welllllll, we'd better start preparing for another boots-on-the-ground intervention, invasion, incursion and police-action. We wouldn't want the GOTP hawks to get out their "Cut 'n' Run" banners again. I mean, they've never met a conflict they didn't like; and god knows, we should be in the middle of yet another civil war between Sunni/Shia/Secular interests......

:smackshead:

01 Jul 2013 10:02 #3 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic an ultimatum

"If the demands of the people are not realized within the defined period, it will be incumbent upon (the armed forces)... to announce a road map for the future," said the statement by chief-of-staff General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. "

Politically Correct definition of "coup".

01 Jul 2013 10:05 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic an ultimatum
I don't think you will see a boots on the ground but it will be interesting to see how Obama and Kerry handle this. Do they support Morsi this week? And will the State Department issue a travel advisory and withdraw families from embassies?

Since Morsi has taken power, tourism has taken a big hit and demonstrations aren't going to change this. Sad to see that young American English teacher killed while filming a demonstration.

And what does the military do? Take over? And will Washington support the coup?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Jul 2013 10:41 #5 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic an ultimatum

LadyJazzer wrote: Welllllll, we'd better start preparing for another boots-on-the-ground intervention, invasion, incursion and police-action. We wouldn't want the GOTP hawks to get out their "Cut 'n' Run" banners again. I mean, they've never met a conflict they didn't like; and god knows, we should be in the middle of yet another civil war between Sunni/Shia/Secular interests......

You mean like the Obama administration supported Morsi? It doesn't take boots on the ground to screw up a situation. And what about Obama's "red line" in Syria? I guess Obama's rhetoric on Syria was just a lot of hot air for the GOTP crowd.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

01 Jul 2013 10:43 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic an ultimatum

LadyJazzer wrote: Welllllll, we'd better start preparing for another boots-on-the-ground intervention, invasion, incursion and police-action. We wouldn't want the GOTP hawks to get out their "Cut 'n' Run" banners again. I mean, they've never met a conflict they didn't like; and god knows, we should be in the middle of yet another civil war between Sunni/Shia/Secular interests......

You mean like Truman in Korea?
Kennedy in Vietnam?
LBJ in Vietnam?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Jul 2013 10:49 #7 by archer
Replied by archer on topic an ultimatum

FredHayek wrote:

Kennedy in Vietnam?
LBJ in Vietnam?

:faint:

Really? Why have you so conveniently forgotten Bush in Afghanistan and Bush in Iraq? Interesting, when reciting the litany of wars, in your eyes there was never a war the Republicans started or supported....next thing we know Fred will be calling for drastic cuts in the defense budget and abolishing the military.

01 Jul 2013 11:09 - 01 Jul 2013 15:08 #8 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic an ultimatum

FredHayek wrote:

Kennedy in Vietnam?
LBJ in Vietnam?

No, I mean Morsi in Egypt... If you'd like to start another irrelevant thread about Truman, Kennedy or LBJ, feel free to do so. You don't seem to have anything else to add. But don't forget the two unnecessary, unpaid-for wars that Bush started in Afghanistan and Iraq.

01 Jul 2013 12:18 #9 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic an ultimatum

archer wrote:

FredHayek wrote:

Kennedy in Vietnam?
LBJ in Vietnam?

Really? Why have you so conveniently forgotten Bush in Afghanistan and Bush in Iraq? Interesting, when reciting the litany of wars, in your eyes there was never a war the Republicans started or supported....next thing we know Fred will be calling for drastic cuts in the defense budget and abolishing the military.

Nope... but as LJ said in the above post... this is about Egypt and Morsi. Weak deflection... but thanks for playing.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

01 Jul 2013 12:22 #10 by archer
Replied by archer on topic an ultimatum

Walter L Newton wrote:

archer wrote:

FredHayek wrote:

Kennedy in Vietnam?
LBJ in Vietnam?

Nope... but as LJ said in the above post... this is about Egypt and Morsi. Weak deflection... but thanks for playing.

yep....it is, or was, until fred decided to use the thread to bash Democratic presidents. I guess that post was ok, my responding to it was not. Ever so sorry Walter.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds