Brits

03 Sep 2013 20:10 #11 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Brits
Delta was actually ripping on lots of politicians for not serving. Unfair to rip politicians for their kids not serving. Hard to control kids when they turn 18 or even when they are 13.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Sep 2013 20:34 #12 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Brits
Military service has been a tradition in my family since before my relations sailed the oceans and arrived in America. Graduate high school and then decide if you are going to enlist, or go to college and enroll in ROTC, or shoot high and try for one of the academies. No matter what, every male member of the Toadwater family has served in some capacity and many of the females have also served.

I'll also admit that not everyone belongs in the military, it wouldn't be worth the wasted time and effort it takes to figure out that not everyone should serve in the military. Conscripts don't normally develop into professional soldiers, they serve because they have to and then move on to whatever life has planed for them.

That being said, I would welcome a program that requires young people to serve their country right after high school or when they reach their 18th birthday if they aren't in school. Instead of sponging off the Gubment and relaxing while everyone else pays the bills let's put young people to work and teach them the value of a hard days work. Better still, let's teach them skills and show them how benefiting their local communities helps them to help themselves while helping the people around them. Maybe a few trustworthy leaders would rise to the surface and put our republic back in some semblance of control.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Sep 2013 02:18 #13 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Brits
Not political....personal. Bush's girls did not serve.

I served 23 years my son 11 and in my family's tradition both grand kids will serve.....have an uncle buried in Europe WWII) and service extends back to 1775 (we did not come over on a pickle boat). Now show your colors......you asked fool.

04 Sep 2013 02:27 #14 by deltamrey
Otis thanks for that....and you served for how long, where.....missed that part. Reread Mills quote.

I agree the draft is not certainly at this point, wise......two years is much too short a period to teach a sheep much......and those that serve from that quarter do so to avoid jail.....it is still the law.

Our culture is ME ME ME focused and we are paying a massive price. A major national crisis and the pain following is the only way there will ever be a change........

04 Sep 2013 02:38 #15 by deltamrey
Fredie, it is fair to criticize pols .....they are ready to send others children to DIE for their perks.....yes they should send their whelps first......... they have no credibility.........read Mills quote.....

04 Sep 2013 06:56 #16 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Brits
OK, good point.
Politicians should encourage thier children to serve in the military or serve their communities or even the world in a program like the Peace Corps. Where best to learn about public service than in the home?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Sep 2013 09:36 #17 by KJack
Replied by KJack on topic Brits

otisptoadwater wrote: Military service has been a tradition in my family since before my relations sailed the oceans and arrived in America. Graduate high school and then decide if you are going to enlist, or go to college and enroll in ROTC, or shoot high and try for one of the academies. No matter what, every male member of the Toadwater family has served in some capacity and many of the females have also served.

I'll also admit that not everyone belongs in the military, it wouldn't be worth the wasted time and effort it takes to figure out that not everyone should serve in the military. Conscripts don't normally develop into professional soldiers, they serve because they have to and then move on to whatever life has planed for them.

That being said, I would welcome a program that requires young people to serve their country right after high school or when they reach their 18th birthday if they aren't in school. Instead of sponging off the Gubment and relaxing while everyone else pays the bills let's put young people to work and teach them the value of a hard days work. Better still, let's teach them skills and show them how benefiting their local communities helps them to help themselves while helping the people around them. Maybe a few trustworthy leaders would rise to the surface and put our republic back in some semblance of control.

:like:

04 Sep 2013 13:09 #18 by deltamrey
Talk is CHEAP......rationalizations are avoidance.....

04 Sep 2013 19:45 #19 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Brits

deltamrey wrote: Otis thanks for that....and you served for how long, where.....missed that part.

My Brother and his family loathe when I "tell war stories" but since you asked:

I spent 26 years in the US Navy right out of High School, started as a CTR went from E-1 to E-9 in the first 20 years. While enlisted I earned a BS in Computer Information Systems and went on to earn a MS in the same field. Instead of retiring I let a couple of Commanders and a Captain talk me into accepting a commission as a Cryptologist and got out as an O-3 in 2008.

I served in all of the "garden spots" around the world - Rota, Spain - Misawa, Japan - Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - Diego Garcia - Adak, Alaska - Edzell, Scotland - Naples, Italy - just to name a few. I've been out to sea for as long as 283 days at a time, got to love those underway replenishments. I've been on the surface and under it and above it many times. While I wasn't ever PSC it seemed like every time sea duty came up I ended up "accepting" the assignment (usually because the Old Man would give me that "look" while reviewing temporary "opportunities to excel in my Naval career").

Then there were the times that I openly expressed my desire to not go back out to sea and found myself temporarily attached to an MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit for the civilians amongst us) going to where the shooting is or is about to break out. Back in the day women were not allowed to serve in Theaters of war or denied areas so the female CTs always got shore duty and the males went to all of the "exciting" posts and assignments. I got a lot of training that wasn't a part of performing my duties as a CTR or a Cryptologist but required for being on the ground in Indian country. It's one thing to be in theater, it's a whole other thing to be danger close when you are assigned to pull security as one man in a platoon of Marines as a Squid while also attempting to do what the Navy sent you there to do in the first place!

Sorry you asked? :wave:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Sep 2013 19:56 #20 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Brits
PCS?

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds