Brits

04 Sep 2013 23:02 #31 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Brits

Blazer Bob wrote: 24/7 aye. My det was small enough that I kept my self on the watch bill. Mr Drew was my OIC. He rode with staff on the Carrier. My van was bolted to
a Spruance for one month and to an AOR for 6.

Strange duty for a STG.

Yep, and then you get into who's cleared and who's not; I held off a Congressman for 45 minutes on the dock in the Norfolk Navy yard because he wasn't on the access list to come aboard the boat I was assigned to at the time. I got grilled dockside by a Congressman and his horse holders but ultimately the XO of the boat chewed me out in public and apologized in private. I was right and the XO told me so but added that I could have been a bit more politically correct and "respectful" regarding the Congressman's request to come aboard. In the end in my mind you're on the access list or your aren't; not on the list? Then you're not coming aboard, regulations say so. Didn't cost me a stripe but it did show up in my performance appraisal.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2013 23:32 #32 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Brits

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: 24/7 aye. My det was small enough that I kept my self on the watch bill. Mr Drew was my OIC. He rode with staff on the Carrier. My van was bolted to
a Spruance for one month and to an AOR for 6.

Strange duty for a STG.

Yep, and then you get into who's cleared and who's not; I held off a Congressman for 45 minutes on the dock in the Norfolk Navy yard because he wasn't on the access list to come aboard the boat I was assigned to at the time. I got grilled dockside by a Congressman and his horse holders but ultimately the XO of the boat chewed me out in public and apologized in private. I was right and the XO told me so but added that I could have been a bit more politically correct and "respectful" regarding the Congressman's request to come aboard. In the end in my mind you're on the access list or your aren't; not on the list? Then you're not coming aboard, regulations say so. Didn't cost me a stripe but it did show up in my performance appraisal.

LOL. The CO of the DD thought my van had some back channel comm gear that would allow him to suck up to the Admiral. That gear was not part of my load out but I do not think he believed me. He beat me like a red headed stepchild every chance he got.

Perhaps we should adjourn to somewhere that serves beer.

04 Sep 2013 23:42 #33 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote: Perhaps we should adjourn to somewhere that serves beer.

Indeed, when the beer lamp is lit we ought to find a place to compare notes and discover what we both know about places like the LBFM just outside the gate of Clark AFB. There are/were also some interesting places just outside of Subic Bay...

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

05 Sep 2013 00:01 #34 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: Perhaps we should adjourn to somewhere that serves beer.

Indeed, when the beer lamp is lit we ought to find a place to compare notes and discover what we both know about places like the LBFM just outside the gate of Clark AFB. There are/were also some interesting places just outside of Subic Bay...

I knew Subic although I spent most of my off time in the Barrio. I flew into Clark once coming off of emergency leave. I know the LBFM. Got a gift there.

05 Sep 2013 00:14 #35 by otisptoadwater
Start with the Sh*t river and doing every thing you could to not fall in! Lots of good memories and a few that weren't as good, 3 days out to sea after a port call and short arm inspections for example...

05 Sep 2013 00:20 #36 by Blazer Bob
When is the beer lamp lit?

05 Sep 2013 17:47 #37 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote: When is the beer lamp lit?

I picked up several bad habits in my time in the Navy with the exception of smoking so the smoking lamp isn't ever lit at my house but the beer lamp comes on fairly frequently.

05 Sep 2013 18:43 #38 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Brits
Or as we called you temps ships company, riders. You guys are the types that came onboard and I would get a call to provide electrical and phone connections. My last job was E Div Maintenance Officer. USS GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN73. Retired in 96 Chief, Dad is retired SGM Army, brother 6 years Navy, son currently serving, just passed 10 years Army, uncle was POW in WWII.

05 Sep 2013 19:18 #39 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: When is the beer lamp lit?

I picked up several bad habits in my time in the Navy with the exception of smoking so the smoking lamp isn't ever lit at my house but the beer lamp comes on fairly frequently.

You mean that you do not have some foul out of the way nasty place where the smoking lamp is lit? That would make you a bigger asshole than my last co. He let us go out amidships after darken ship and take a chance of being washed over board and half way to hell to light up. That was post cold war picking up Cubans.

05 Sep 2013 19:44 #40 by otisptoadwater
So if the ship has been darkened why in the hell would any competent officer let men out on a weather deck to smoke? Isn't the point of darkening the ship to avoid visual detection from things like lights and flames and people smoking? Ok, there's what the regulations say and what actually happens...

Both of my parents smoked, a lot of my classmates smoked, and you know most of my shipmates smoke. Out at sea where you could and couldn't smoke wasn't my decision to make. If you wanted to go look for the Golden Rivet and burn a half a pack of smokes in the process fine by me just be back on time to stand your assigned watch. I didn't really have a problem with people smoking around me and I don't now, I just don't allow it in my house or my vehicles.

On special occasions I'll sit out on my deck and smoke a cigar but it's the exception, if I get through four cigars a year it's a good year.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds