Brits

04 Sep 2013 20:06 #21 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Brits

Blazer Bob wrote: PCS?

PCS ='s Permanent Ships Company. In other words assigned as a permanent member of the ship's crew. CTs tend to move from place to place when their services are required to satisfy a command's need for intelligence. More information here --> http://www.navy.com/careers/information-and-technology/cryptology.html

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2013 20:18 #22 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Brits

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: PCS?

PCS ='s Permanent Ships Company. In other words assigned as a permanent member of the ship's crew. CTs tend to move from place to place when their services are required to satisfy a command's need for intelligence. More information here --> http://www.navy.com/careers/information-and-technology/cryptology.html

HUH, and all those years I thought it was Permanent Change of Station.

04 Sep 2013 20:30 #23 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote: HUH, and all those years I thought it was Permanent Change of Station.

Bob? Was you in the Air Force?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Sep 2013 20:37 #24 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: HUH, and all those years I thought it was Permanent Change of Station.

I beg your pardon. USN, retired in '96. I know PCS, never heard of PSC.

I know it is a long shot but any chance you knew a Mr. Drew. He made Master Chief as an OS. I worked with him when after he made Ensign around '86.

04 Sep 2013 20:55 - 04 Sep 2013 21:24 #25 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote:

otisptoadwater wrote:

I know it is a long shot but any chance you knew a Mr. Drew. He made Master Chief as an OS. I worked with him when after he made Ensign around '86.

Had to throw a little excrement your way in jest! I got the "you're not PSC" comment all the time during exercises like DISPLAY DETERMINATION and REFORGER when debriefing CO's and their staff on the failures of their Radiomen and other communications that we were able to intercept and even use against them by mimicking their own comms to give false instructions and alerts. "You're not permanent ships company" was a common but very hollow defense, the concept being that CTs don't understand what it takes to be underway but still communicate.

Can't say I knew a Mr. Drew but I'll also confess my CRS (Can't Remember "Stuff") is getting worse by the day! Been a lot of places and did a lot of things, some of them were good and a few didn't work out as I had planned (or didn't plan).

04 Sep 2013 21:05 #26 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote:

otisptoadwater wrote:

Had to throw a little excrement your way in jest! I got the "you're not PCS" comment all the time during exercises like DISPLAY DETERMINATION and REFORGER when debriefing CO's and their staff on the failures of their Radiomen and other communications that we were able to intercept and even use against them by mimicking their own comms to give false instructions and alerts. "You're not permanent ships company" was a common but very hollow defense, the concept being that CTs don't understand what it takes to be underway but still communicate.

Can't say I knew a Mr. Drew but I'll also confess my CRS (Can't Remember "Stuff") is getting worse by the day! Been a lot of places and did a lot of things, some of them were good and a few didn't work out as I had planned (or didn't plan).

Suspected as much. Do you know what an ICAD van is?

04 Sep 2013 21:23 #27 by otisptoadwater
It's a bit outside of my realm but is this what you're talking about?

"The required non personal engineering support services will be a continuation of systems software/firmware/bardware support for Improved Console and Display ICAD related upgrades to the AN SLQ 32 Electronic Warfare System that are installed aboard several classes of Navy combatant ships. The ICAD is a critical component that facilitates the AN SLQ 32 mission as the anti ship missile system which is a part of the Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program. The ICAD upgrade provides improved human machine interface capabilities which allows for multiple simultaneous displays, color coding of representative icons, operator customization, and intuitive overall visualization. All which lead to less ambiguity and improved
operator processing of various radio frequency signals of interest."

That ICAD van? Way back when I started out copying manual Morse code, as technology progressed I learned more and collected against other signals and used different methods to collect them.

04 Sep 2013 21:54 #28 by Blazer Bob
No. ICAD Integrated Cover and Deception. I was CPOIC of one when when it was a bolt on. One to a deploying BG. Ships Company, at least the one that mattered, hated my guts.

otisptoadwater wrote: It's a bit outside of my realm but is this what you're talking about?

"The required non personal engineering support services will be a continuation of systems software/firmware/bardware support for Improved Console and Display ICAD related upgrades to the AN SLQ 32 Electronic Warfare System that are installed aboard several classes of Navy combatant ships. The ICAD is a critical component that facilitates the AN SLQ 32 mission as the anti ship missile system which is a part of the Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program. The ICAD upgrade provides improved human machine interface capabilities which allows for multiple simultaneous displays, color coding of representative icons, operator customization, and intuitive overall visualization. All which lead to less ambiguity and improved

That ICAD van? Way back when I started out copying manual Morse code, as technology progressed I learned more and collected against other signals and used different methods to collect them.

04 Sep 2013 22:12 #29 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote: No. ICAD Integrated Cover and Deception. I was CPOIC of one when when it was a bolt on. One to a deploying BG. Ships Company, at least the one that mattered, hated my guts.

otisptoadwater wrote: It's a bit outside of my realm but is this what you're talking about?

Just goes to show you there are still too many acronyms in the US Navy's vocabulary! I was also the CINC of miscellaneous experiments contained in a quick van, someone's crazy idea seemed to always find their way into my lap. I hear you when it comes to bringing new "stuff" on board, it's gonna need power, and someone has to watch it to make sure it's working and log the readings... Oh did I mention that's almost always a 24 X 7 requirement and no one but the host command is ever tasked with the care and feeding of those small experiments that are only "temporary"?

04 Sep 2013 22:31 #30 by Blazer Bob
24/7 aye. My det was small enough that I kept my self on the watch bill. Mr Drew was my OIC. He rode with staff on the Carrier. My van was bolted to
a Spruance for one month and to an AOR for 6.

Strange duty for a STG.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds