Former Inter-Canyon Fire chief allegedly embezzled $643,000

17 Oct 2013 16:42 #1 by ScienceChic
Former Inter-Canyon fire chief suspected of stealing $643,000 from district
By Kieran Nicholson, The Denver Post
10/17/2013

A former volunteer fire chief is suspected of stealing $643,000 from the department he headed.

David Roy MacBean, 41, has been indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury, according to the district attorney's office.

MacBean, a former chief of the Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District, faces three counts of theft of $20,000 or more, and three counts of embezzlement of public property.

He's accused of making unauthorized purchases for personal gain on the district's credit card and bank accounts from January 2010 until March 2013 . In March 2013, members of the Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District board contacted the DA's office regarding possible misuse of district funds and an investigation ensued.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Oct 2013 16:50 #2 by Ruger1480
Cant wait to see what Windpeak has to say about this!

17 Oct 2013 17:08 #3 by deltamrey
FULL transparency...www site based for ALL entities up here is a good start.....also toss out ALL incumbents routinely.

17 Oct 2013 19:16 #4 by Reverend Revelant
David MacBean, the former volunteer fire chief of Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District in Morrison, has been indicted for theft and embezzlement of approximately $643,000 in public funds, according to a press release from First Judicial District Attorney Peter A. Weir.

A Jefferson County grand jury has returned a six-count indictment accusing 41-year-old MacBean of stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars in public funds from the Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District.

The indictment was signed by the court on Oct. 15, Weir said in the press release.

According to the indictment, Weir accused MacBean of using district money between Jan. 1, 2012 and March 31, 2013, to make $283,000 in purchases from Amazon.com, Big R, various other merchants and a PayPal online account.

Read the rest in The Flume...

http://www.theflume.com/news/first_five ... f6878.html

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Oct 2013 20:13 #5 by jf1acai
It sucks, but how many threads do we need on this subject?

There are at least 3 now, how about reading and commenting on what is already posted?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

18 Oct 2013 04:30 - 18 Oct 2013 07:46 #6 by Reverend Revelant

jf1acai wrote: It sucks, but how many threads do we need on this subject?

There are at least 3 now, how about reading and commenting on what is already posted?

Show me where in "The Courthouse" is this posted 3 times? I don't read every forum on My Mountain Town and I suspect neither do other folks. I'm sorry. I'll ask SC to delete or combine this thread if it pleases you.

18 Oct 2013 07:43 #7 by Michael_Davis
I am extremely sorry to hear this. I know several Volunteer Firefighters with InterCanyon and I can tell you they are outstanding, hard working, honest people. I hope the actions of one does not sully the reputation of the many.

18 Oct 2013 08:43 #8 by MountainRoadCrew
The thread from the Campfire has been merged into this one in the Courthouse.

18 Oct 2013 10:02 #9 by ScienceChic
Speaking from an organizational point of view, local news threads better fit in the Campfire based on the description of that forum, as opposed to the political topics of the Courthouse. However, the Courthouse is more active so threads in here will automatically get more views. From a bigger picture standpoint, I'd prefer to not get in a rut of throwing everything in here just to "get more views" - that's how forums start to stagnate. Not to mention that the Courthouse is also a big turnoff for many visitors, so I'd personally love to see more local news being put in the Campfire where people are more likely to look for local news (based on the description of the forum).

The View Active Topics button or View New Posts button are great ways to keep up on what's happening on the whole site (as there are a lot of events and other things posted) and eliminate the issue of extra clicks to check up on the goings-on in other forums.

Back on topic, I too would love to see what WindPeak has to say about this, but I'm sure it wouldn't change their mind about how they feel about ECFPD - they obviously have their mind made up and no amount of facts presented, even from an article in the Flume in which the author never once said their own opinion of "Vote Yes" or "Vote No", just presented the issue and information, is going to make them budge. WindPeak made many comments that were obviously not true, and even when presented with video proof otherwise, still held to their own misinformed opinions. Despite the fact that s/he has compared ECFPD and ICFPD, they did so on the very narrow issue of a department in turmoil not asking for tax increases. ICFPD is, and has been, in turmoil but isn't asking for a tax. ECFPD is not in turmoil and is asking for a tax increase, but nothing anyone says will convince him/her that ECFPD is not in turmoil. Denial is a powerful thing.

Inter-Canyon is a fine department with many fine volunteers. As Michael Davis said, I hope the alleged actions of one person does not cause people to lose faith in the entire department - their board did turn him into the DA once they realized there was something amiss. I hope this issue is resolved quickly for them and they are able to recover. I believe the next court date is December so we'll check back then for an update.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Oct 2013 10:07 #10 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: Speaking from an organizational point of view, local news threads better fit in the Campfire based on the description of that forum, as opposed to the political topics of the Courthouse. However, the Courthouse is more active so threads in here will automatically get more views. From a bigger picture standpoint, I'd prefer to not get in a rut of throwing everything in here just to "get more views" - that's how forums start to stagnate. Not to mention that the Courthouse is also a big turnoff for many visitors, so I'd personally love to see more local news being put in the Campfire where people are more likely to look for local news (based on the description of the forum).

The View Active Topics button or View New Posts button are great ways to keep up on what's happening on the whole site (as there are a lot of events and other things posted) and eliminate the issue of extra clicks to check up on the goings-on in other forums.

[snip]

Well... slap my hand :bash

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds