ACA (Obamacare) updates for 2014

26 Feb 2014 10:22 #281 by FredHayek
They had to lie about the benefits and refuse to show the downside to pass such a major piece of legislation. If they had told the truth, not even a Dem dominated House would have been able to pass this disaster.
That being said, it will go forward. You can't take away peoples ability to spend past the million dollar limit and also to be covered for pre-existing conditions.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2014 15:36 #282 by Reverend Revelant
PolitiFact’s Liar of the Year

[youtube:2vbze52s]
[/youtube:2vbze52s]

(2009)
“What we will do is make the coverage that you’re currently providing more affordable…You’ll be able to get better deals than you could have ever received on your own. In fact, small businesses that choose one of the plans in this exchange could save 25 percent on their premiums by 2016.”

(2014)
“We are estimating that 65 percent of the small firms are expected to experience increases in their premium rates while the remaining 35 percent are anticipated to have rate reductions,” CMS’ Office of the Actuary wrote in a new report. Conversely, “the effect on large employers is expected to be negligible,” because most large companies run their health insurance programs in house.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 Feb 2014 16:02 #283 by Rick
That's ok Rev, I'm sure the Obama administration and it's fawning media will come up with some new lies and new diversions for the sheep. I'm sure they will find some new "logic" that will explain why increased premiums (and not the $2500 savings) is actually a good thing.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

26 Feb 2014 17:12 #284 by Blazer Bob

Rick wrote: That's ok Rev, I'm sure the Obama administration and it's fawning media will come up with some new lies and new diversions for the sheep. I'm sure they will find some new "logic" that will explain why increased premiums (and not the $2500 savings) is actually a good thing.

I am sure they will but politicians lying is almost older than politicians themselves.

What I do not understand is how so many otherwise decent rank and file democrats are willing to take that same walk down Orwellian lane with them.

26 Feb 2014 18:02 - 26 Feb 2014 19:39 #285 by LOL

archer wrote: money.cnn.com/2014/02/25/news/economy/ob...index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Back at the beginning of the ACA debate I, and many others, pointed out how this law would allow people to become entrepreneurs, to retire earlier, to change jobs without the fear of losing health insurance, and it would save them money. And, sure enough, it's turning out to be true. This is good for people, for jobs, and for our economy.

Blah blah blah.... Irrational wing nut hater stuff.....

Pretty much what I expected from the posters here. Keep em coming, your responses show how irrational you are on the ACA, you can't bring yourselves to acknowledge any positive news on how Obamacare is working. For all the claims here that liberals are blind to the problems this law has created, you all are equally blind to its benefits,

I would partially agree with you that a benefit is improved access to Individual insurance esp. for those with pre-existing conditions who would have been rejected. However, you are still ignoring the subsidy part and the unintended consequences of lowering your income in early retirement to get tax payer subsidized health-care when you were previously earning it yourself. No one has an entitled right to early retirement on the taxpayers tab, you have to earn it and pay your own way. Yes I know, that is irrational. What was I thinking? :)

BTW I partially retired in my 40's from a FT job with work insurance, and then purchased my own individual plan knowing it was my responsibility and required in order to pursue self-employment. Not happy about the price increases over the years or the lack of tax deduction parity, but whatever. It was part of the deal. And I do not see any difference for myself under Obamacare except higher premiums, mandatory benefits I don't want, and more bureaucracy and tax forms, and still no tax deduction most years.

Also noticed you are still using the phrase "Insurance" with Obamacare. All pre-ACA 2014 non-grandfathered Insurance policies have been cancelled in favor of Obamacare qualified pre-paid mandatory comprehensive health care benefits determined by bureaucrats in DC. It is not individual insurance anymore by any definition. Its dumbed-down one size fits all benefit plans under the disguise of "consumer protections" with higher costs, fees and taxes and wasteful administrative overhead paid for by tax payers and borrowing.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

26 Feb 2014 19:36 #286 by archer
Please, being able to change jobs, or retire early isn't about doing it on the taxpayers dime, it's about being able to GET a policy of your own without having to get it through an employer. Lucky you, you could, many people never could because of pre-existing conditions or outrageous cost.

Apparently if a law isn't good for you personally if isn't good at all (not specifically you LOL). There are a lot of laws passed that don't benefit me, may even be a problem for me as an individual, but laws aren't just tailored to one person, or even one group of people.

26 Feb 2014 19:36 #287 by LadyJazzer
The policies are issued by private insurers, (subject to mandatory minimums of the program: non-cancellable, no lifetime max limits; no exclusions for pre-existing conditions, etc.). Yes, it IS insurance. And you can repeat as often as you like that it isn't....But repeating it still doesn't make it true.

Feel free to continue in your alternate-reality universe.

26 Feb 2014 19:42 - 26 Feb 2014 20:08 #288 by LOL
No it is not insurance. Look up the basic definition.

And I decide what insurance I need and want to purchase, not a government bureaucrat.
Same as I do for car insurance, home owner insurance, life insurance, etc. etc.

Feel free to continue in your own conception of reality.

Your understanding of the concept of insurance sounds similar to your understanding of the tax code and tax rate calculations. Time for another MMT Math seminar?

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

26 Feb 2014 19:52 #289 by LOL

archer wrote: Apparently if a law isn't good for you personally if isn't good at all (not specifically you LOL). There are a lot of laws passed that don't benefit me, may even be a problem for me as an individual, but laws aren't just tailored to one person, or even one group of people.

I see it was a waste of time responding to you archer, again you make broad assumptions and didn't read the first sentence of my reply several posts above.

26 Feb 2014 19:55 #290 by otisptoadwater

LOL wrote: No it is not insurance. Look up the definition.

And I decide what insurance I need and want to purchase, not a government bureaucrat.
Same as I do for car insurance, home owner insurance, life insurance, etc. etc.

Feel free to continue in your own conception of reality.

:sarcasm: Hang on for a Manhattan microsecond there LOL, you do have choices. You can choose from the bronze, silver, or gold plans. Heck, you could even decide you'd rather skip Obamacare all together and just pay the fine instead. It's not like you need access to health care every year...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds