President Obama’s foreign policy is based on fantasy

03 Mar 2014 13:14 #11 by FredHayek
The nostalgia was in thinking that Americans used to be more educated about other countries. And like a cranky old man, "these kids don't know nothing!"
I think Americans have never really cared about foreign affairs unless we were attacking or being attacked.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Mar 2014 13:40 #12 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote: The nostalgia was in thinking that Americans used to be more educated about other countries. And like a cranky old man, "these kids don't know nothing!"
I think Americans have never really cared about foreign affairs unless we were attacking or being attacked.

Show me where I said "Americans used to be more educated about other countries."

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

03 Mar 2014 13:48 #13 by FredHayek
OK, you didn't say it nor imply it. Your were just comparing the education of your daughters taught at home to the vast majority of no-nothing Americans.

03 Mar 2014 14:02 #14 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote: OK, you didn't say it nor imply it. Your were just comparing the education of your daughters taught at home to the vast majority of no-nothing Americans.

Correct. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. I was talking about the current state of education and the current self imposed isolation of Americans from the rest of the world.

03 Mar 2014 14:19 #15 by homeagain
Never have been to Europe (the idea of being in an enclosed tin can for THAT many hours, is a
daunting deal breaker), BUT I think part of the problem of American isolationism is the WIDE
AND VAST expanses we call North America. The closeness and "squeezed" country borders of
Europe tend to FACILITATE a better awareness of other cultures/people/language communication.

It's kinda difficult to be "unaware" when your small country has SEVERAL other countries surrounding it's immediate boundaries......( I liken it to living in Alaska and then moving down
to the lower 48,where SEVERAL other states are within a short drive from where you live...Alaska
is pretty isolated (was anyway....Hard Rock Cafe in Anchorage makes that statement laughable)

Speaking several languages seems to be the norm in Europe.....here NOT so much....another
factor that creates "unawareness"....JMO

03 Mar 2014 16:12 #16 by Reverend Revelant
Blast from the past. Obama addressing Romney.

“A few months ago when you were asked what’s the biggest geopolitical threat facing America, you said Russia…the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.”

Kerry mocks Romney and Palin.

“…but not Mitt Romney. He’s even blurted out the preposterous notion that Russia is our ‘number one geopolitical foe.’ Folks: Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from Alaska; Mitt Romney talks like he’s only seen Russia by watching Rocky IV.”

(Sarah Palin never said she could see Russia from Alaska, that was said by Tina Fay during a comedy routine)

Further proof of this threads title "President Obama’s foreign policy is based on fantasy."

03 Mar 2014 17:34 #17 by Reverend Revelant
And Fred. This thread is on Obama and his foreign policy. You have plenty of ACA threads to visit if you want to talk health care. Don't hijack the thread.

03 Mar 2014 18:45 #18 by pineinthegrass

Reverend Revelant wrote: Blast from the past. Obama addressing Romney.

“A few months ago when you were asked what’s the biggest geopolitical threat facing America, you said Russia…the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.”

And here I thought that quote came from LJ...

http://mymountaintown.com/forums/the-courthouse/23876?start=30

:wink:

03 Mar 2014 21:34 #19 by FredHayek
So when Hilary tried to reset the relationship with Russia, it was to bring back the Cold War.

You have to think the Chinese will be carefully watching to see what we do with sanctions and other measures. And it will be interesting to see if they will support us and Europe if we try to throw Russia out of the G8 and the WTO.

03 Mar 2014 22:03 #20 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: So when Hilary tried to reset the relationship with Russia, it was to bring back the Cold War.

I'm quite certain if things don't go well in the Ukraine by 2016, there's going to be some more great political ads to go with the Benghazi ads highlighting Hillary's State Dept. "accomplishments".

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds