Why Conservatives are Happy and Leftists Are Angry

18 Oct 2014 22:07 #31 by ZHawke

otisptoadwater wrote: No, Conservatives just want to see action when threats are apparent, one of the roles of the Federal Government is to protect the domestic infrastructure and our population. Branding Conservatives reactions to inaction to known threats on the Government's part as criticism is very telling about your orientation; Obama and his current administration can do no wrong in your eyes. Some suggested reading: The Pollyanna Principal.

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You won't convince me of the high moral standing you attribute to conservatives in Congress. Just ain't gonna happen.

Please see my last post regarding the administration doing no wrong. That's your assessment and you must own it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2014 22:12 #32 by ZHawke

BlazerBob wrote: Are they? Which ones? I have not seen or heard of it but like you I am taking advantage of the warm and sunny days.

This is an admittedly left leaning publication, but it's the one I found instantly with a Google search. I've seen many more, but am too tired to look for them right now (too much sun and fun at A Borgata today). I'm done for the night.

www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=21172

18 Oct 2014 22:16 #33 by otisptoadwater
Fair enough - I'm not looking to make you an enemy. I value alternative points of view but I also demand that logic applies. Don't piss in my boot and tell me it's raining; all of the political parties engage in partial truth, deception, and deflection. I'm just looking for the truth, the responsible parties (meaning the specific people) must be held accountable and our system of governance is supposed to guarantee that each elected official is held accountable. SO often that is not the case and it's up to us to call them out when there are discrepancies in how laws are enforced and the will of the people is carried out.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

18 Oct 2014 22:46 - 24 Nov 2014 11:16 #34 by Blazer Bob

ZHawke wrote:

BlazerBob wrote: Are they? Which ones? I have not seen or heard of it but like you I am taking advantage of the warm and sunny days.

This is an admittedly left leaning publication, but it's the one I found instantly with a Google search. I've seen many more, but am too tired to look for them right now (too much sun and fun at A Borgata today). I'm done for the night.

www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=21172

As I said we reflect our inputs. That is a virulent site. The fact that is was one of your first hits is telling.

I dabble in left wing threads but as you can guess I spend more time reading from the right. If that is how you see the mainstream right I will declare you flat assed wrong. I am sure there is some right wing nut bag who is saying that but as a accurate representation of conventional right wing thought is a steaming pile of horse sh**.

18 Oct 2014 23:08 #35 by Rick

ZHawke wrote: Saw this and thought of ya'll:

Not to disrupt thiis fun back and forth, b ut just had to say something about this false stereotype, at least for the conservative part. I'm sure you agree that liberals vote on hope, but so do conservatives. We are hoping for some accountablity, transparency, efficiency, and most of all some competency. There's not much hope for any of those these days.

And lets talk about fear, fear of global warming (oops, I mean climate change)fear of the Koch Bros, fear of guns (not the people who misuse them), and fear of anything "big", except for government of course.

It's a matter of your perspective , so stereotype posters like that only work for the politically brainwashed.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Oct 2014 07:57 #36 by FredHayek

HEARTLESS wrote: I see Leftists as completely empty headed.

They aren't. They just have a different way of thinking. About the half-full issue? Not always so. Look at AGW, I know Lefties who think we can reduce emissions world-wide wheras I am skeptical.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Oct 2014 08:39 #37 by ZHawke

otisptoadwater wrote: Fair enough - I'm not looking to make you an enemy. I value alternative points of view but I also demand that logic applies. Don't piss in my boot and tell me it's raining; all of the political parties engage in partial truth, deception, and deflection. I'm just looking for the truth, the responsible parties (meaning the specific people) must be held accountable and our system of governance is supposed to guarantee that each elected official is held accountable. SO often that is not the case and it's up to us to call them out when there are discrepancies in how laws are enforced and the will of the people is carried out.

Neither am I looking to make you an enemy. Truth is, I'd much rather have reasonable debates than some of the crap I've seen coming from ALL sides in these forums. That being said, when things get down in the gutter, mud slinging takes place, judgmental posts are made, or something else comes up, I'll try my hardest to not go that route but I ain't gonna be afraid to engage.

I agree with the tenor of your post. Logic SHOULD apply. The problem lies in the fact that one person's logic is another person's insanity from what I've been seeing. In fact, one "group" of people can, and most often times do, see things one way while another group of people sees those very same things in the exact opposite way. The goal should be to try to arrive somewhere in the middle - an art form that's been either completely lost in governmental circles, or has been deliberately shoved aside. So, in response to your system of governance guaranteeing elected officials be held accountable is concerned: those provisions are there in the Constitution. That they are not carried out to anyone's satisfaction today is, in my opinion, a direct result of those very same people you talk about plus just as many on the opposite side of the political spectrum bastardizing our system of governance to fit their own personal agendas, not to accommodate the will of the people or serve their best interests.

I believe we all seek the truth - in our own fashion. Some of us wouldn't be able to see it, though, if it rose up and slapped us right up alongside the head with a 2x4 (at least insofar as we, individually interpret the "truth").

19 Oct 2014 08:47 - 24 Nov 2014 11:15 #38 by ZHawke

BlazerBob wrote: As I said we reflect our inputs. That is a virulent site. The fact that is was one of your first hits is telling.

I dabble in left wing threads but as you can guess I spend more time reading from the right. If that is how you see the mainstream right I will declare you flat assed wrong. I am sure there is some right wing nut bag who is saying that but as a accurate representation of conventional right wing thought is a steaming pile of horse sh**.

Google search results all depend upon how we word our search requests. I was tired and grumpy when I did the search. I made the clarification this was a left leaning site in my post, and indicated abstractly I'd do further research when I wasn't so tired. That being said, I'll do some further research on this today to reflect more of a mainstream perspective.

Mainstream is also open to interpretation. Some consider MSNBC to be leftist garbage. Others consider FOX News to be rightist garbage. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

The fact this link was one of the first hits I encountered shouldn't be telling to anyone, really. All it shows is that I probably could have worded my search criteria better.

19 Oct 2014 08:59 #39 by ZHawke

Rick wrote: Not to disrupt thiis fun back and forth, b ut just had to say something about this false stereotype, at least for the conservative part. I'm sure you agree that liberals vote on hope, but so do conservatives. We are hoping for some accountablity, transparency, efficiency, and most of all some competency. There's not much hope for any of those these days.

And lets talk about fear, fear of global warming (oops, I mean climate change)fear of the Koch Bros, fear of guns (not the people who misuse them), and fear of anything "big", except for government of course.

It's a matter of your perspective , so stereotype posters like that only work for the politically brainwashed.

I agree - it is a matter of one's perspective. There are many false stereotypes floating around the Internet. This may, in fact, be one of them. It's in one's perspective, right?

There are also many, many false equivalencies floating around, too. We've seen entire threads devoted to them on both the Left and the Right regarding some of the points you made. Accountability, transparency, efficiency, and competency are all things we all would like to see. These things have been around since the very beginning of our country. All we need do is look at our history to prove that point. The degree of hope we place in our "system" will help determine whether or not any of this is ever addressed to our individual satisfaction. WE, the people, are ultimately responsible for how our system is run.

The part of your post that struck me the most was regarding "fear". You listed several things that many on the right consider hypocrisy of those on the left. I could do the same thing from an opposite perspective, but I won't. I'd rather focus on what we might be able to do to allay all of our "fears" rather than chastising, judging, and lashing out at each other as a result of our individual perceptions. Divide and conquer isn't the way to go, in my opinion. But that's what we keep on seeing.

19 Oct 2014 09:13 #40 by ZHawke

FredHayek wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: I see Leftists as completely empty headed.

They aren't. They just have a different way of thinking. About the half-full issue? Not always so. Look at AGW, I know Lefties who think we can reduce emissions world-wide wheras I am skeptical.

Skepticism can be a very good thing. But only if it's put to good use. I'm skeptical, too. But that doesn't mean I believe we shouldn't try. For example, using your posit regarding reducing global emissions: Trying to reduce emissions worldwide is much more important from my perspective than just being skeptical and not doing anything about it because of that skepticism. I mean, what if we try and we actually accomplish something in that regard? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds