(Reuters) - The New York premiere of "The Interview", a Sony Pictures comedy about the assassination of North Korean President Kim Jong-Un, has been canceled and a source said one theater chain had scrapped plans to show it, after threats from a hacking group.
The hackers, who said they were also responsible for seizing control of Sony Corp's computer system last month, on Tuesday warned people to stay away from cinemas showing the film starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, and darkly reminded moviegoers of the Sept. 11 hijacked plane attacks on the United States in 2001.
So, is this where we're headed in this country or is this just an anomaly? I for one will not be afraid to see this movie if anyone has the balls to show it. Or maybe the administration can arrest the maker of the film for offending an enemy.
I think we should have pool to see who can make the closest guess as to when this movie will be released or somehow leaked to the public. If somehow this film gets buried, America's freedom of speech just took a huge hit by a little twerp.
The left is angry because they are now being judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.
Rick wrote: I think we should have pool to see who can make the closest guess as to when this movie will be released or somehow leaked to the public. If somehow this film gets buried, America's freedom of speech just took a huge hit by a little twerp.
[/b]
You have UNDER estimated the perpetrator, Bureau 151is 1500 to 1,800 strong,N Korea has them
"hitting" targets for quite some time. WE, here in the USA, are so woefully UNDER PREPARED with our IT security that it is a joke....NOT JMO...experts have stated that many, many times.
The movie stars James Franco and Seth Rogen. We should be thanking the hackers.
I'm not really outraged at cancelling the movie, it looked like a lame attempt at satire that probably shouldn't have been made in the first place. Sony is a Japanese corporation, so nope, not really upset about them getting hacked.
Basically, My Give-a-damn rating is flatlined on this one.
"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln
I saw that theory. Then I read that there will be no PPV or DVD sales. I have to agree with NTM on this. <yawn>
Profiles in Hollywood Courage: Sony Caves
63 Power Line by Steven Hayward
No sooner than I suggest that Hollywood order up a whole slate of movies mocking North Korea than the news comes that Sony is pulling theatrical release of “The Interview,” about which the hackers have threatened terrorist violence. Call me a cynic, but I wonder if this isn’t a brilliant marketing play on behalf of a movie that was heading for total bomb status at the box office. Sony will probably make more money on pay-per-view streaming and DVD sales now. Why didn’t Michael Cimino think of this with “Heaven’s Gate” (which was on some forlorn cable channel last night, still as unwatchable as ever)?
I could care less about Sony or anyone who will lose money because of this. What I do care about is the bowing down to threats from a horrible little country ruled by a horrible little man. I like the idea of air dropping a couple million DVDs of the movie across both North and South Korea. We'd probably have to also drop dvd players over NK.
The left is angry because they are now being judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.