Who's your pick?

07 Apr 2015 17:23 #11 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Who's your pick?
Paul Ryan is a bad choice if you actually want to see him elected - the Independent/Unaffiliated voters are not going to go for any candidates they view as extreme, either left or right. Same goes for Ted Cruz. Jon Huntsman would be a better choice.

I'm betting that Jill Stein will run for the Green Party again, but I'm not delusional enough to believe the American public is ready to vote in a 3rd party candidate yet. We'll be stuck with another Republican or Democrat and it'll just depend on how the economy is doing, which ironically has little to do with anything the president does. Sigh.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2015 18:52 #12 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Who's your pick?
I'm with Blazer Bob on this one, it's just way too early to know who is going to emerge in the race and what deep, dark blobs of schlock the media and the opponents will haul up out of each others past. Factor in the Millennials and the rest of the OWS/entitlement crowd and the past 8 years of bread an circuses and I think the majority of our fellow countrymen will want more of the same and Hillary is just the man for the job.

I would like to see a Rubio/Fiorina or a Rubio/Ryan campaign but even with Fiorina being a California Republican I can't see that swaying enough Independants and/or disaffected Millennials for it to really matter. All I know for sure is that come election day 2016 I'll vote for the person with the (R) behind their name, assuming King Barry doesn't change the law and post an executive order making him President/King/Emperor for life.

Regardless, the US of A is no longer the preeminent Superpower on the planet. China is likely to show their military and economic might in the next decade, Iran will have the bomb soon (if they don't already), and the world is a less stable place than it has been since the height of the cold war.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

07 Apr 2015 19:17 #13 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Who's your pick?
Paul Ryan told Hugh Hewitt a few months ago that he wasn't going to run. Wanted to work on the budget. Ryan keeps being reelected in a 50/50 district so Wisconsin voters don't see him as a radical.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

07 Apr 2015 19:54 #14 by Blazer Bob

08 Apr 2015 08:44 #15 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Who's your pick?
OK, I'll try one more time since my question is obviously confusing or unclear... IF you all were in Vegas and I GAVE YOU $100 to place a bet on which GOP candidate would win the nomination, who would it be? It's not who you would vote for necessarily, you may NEVER vote for an R, it's just your best guess before the debates start.

If you decided to not accept my free $100 bill to place a free bet on your best guess, why? Are you all so afraid that a wrong guess will somehow make you look stupid? I just don't understand why this is so difficult... it's just for fun. :huh:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

08 Apr 2015 09:32 #16 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Who's your pick?
Sorry Rick, didn't realize that was what your were aiming for.

In that case, I go with Jeb Bush because political parties don't learn from their mistakes. :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Apr 2015 09:40 #17 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Who's your pick?

ScienceChic wrote: Sorry Rick, didn't realize that was what your were aiming for.

In that case, I go with Jeb Bush because political parties don't learn from their mistakes. :biggrin:

+1

08 Apr 2015 09:43 #18 by FredHayek
I was confused too, if I had to bet on it, I have to pick Jeb too.

Rand Paul is too libertarian for moderate Republicans.

08 Apr 2015 10:01 #19 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Who's your pick?
I'll go with Scott Walker. I think he is presidential, has actual governing experience, and been successful in a democratic area.

I think Bush won't make it because pretty much everyone I know doesn't want us to have "royalty" in the office. Both dems and reps I know want no more Clinton or Bush.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

09 Apr 2015 07:22 #20 by FredHayek
A Quinnipiac poll released this week has Rand Paul beating Hillary in Colorado 44/41. Think Colorado is more libertarian than corporate statist? Or does Hillary just have a bad name here? :coflag:

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds