What Sources Do You Trust?

25 Apr 2019 16:55 #1 by Rick
Do you have specific sources you look to for your news and or their view of individual topics? Or do you bounce around and not really trust any source while digesting information from multiple sides and then come to your own reasoned conclusions?

My youngest daughter is a senior in high school and is writing an essay about this subject so I was curious how you all get your information and make your conclusions.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2019 08:24 #2 by parkcobound
Personally I read from numerous sources, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, Fox, Reuters, NPR. I am skeptical of the details until I see basically the same information in several of those sources. What do I trust? None of them. and never FB or Twitter.

26 Apr 2019 11:00 #3 by FredHayek
I don't trust any source completely. I like to read a number of sources to filter out the truth. I do like Twitter because it is possible to get a lot of sources quickly by looking for certain hashtags.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Apr 2019 12:19 #4 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What Sources Do You Trust?

parkcobound wrote: Personally I read from numerous sources, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, Fox, Reuters, NPR. I am skeptical of the details until I see basically the same information in several of those sources. What do I trust? None of them. and never FB or Twitter.

If this was a country that had a healthy and ethical journalism industry I would agree, but what have we learned in the last 3 years when it comes to the Russia investigation. CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, were all pretty much in lock step when it came to the coverage and picture they wanted to paint. Much of the time these sources used the exact same phrases as if they were all reading from the same script (I'll find some videos to prove this). I also watch and read what all these sources say even though I knew from the start that they were all on the same page and would not show the other side, as FOX did. Fox was the only place on TV where it's viewers were exposed to all sides and all possibilities. FOX has both liberal and conservative voices... commentators, anchors, and paid contributors. The left loves to call Fox fake yet they never seem to show the evidence... they just don't like that they are not in lock step with every other outlet.

I'm not saying FOX is the gold standard for truth because they are like every other news source in that they are humans and have bias. But if you just look at the Russia investigation (the biggest story in decades) you can clearly see who was mostly right and who was mostly wrong. I don't think that fact will change the minds of people who will always trust left leaning sources, but there are a lot of people in the middle who have to be wondering why so many news agencies were convinced Trump was colluding with Russia.

BTW, CNN and the NYT and I think even the Washington Post got Pulizer Prizes for their work on this story. How does that make any sense to anyone?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

26 Apr 2019 15:53 #5 by homeagain

Rick wrote: Do you have specific sources you look to for your news and or their view of individual topics? Or do you bounce around and not really trust any source while digesting information from multiple sides and then come to your own reasoned conclusions?

My youngest daughter is a senior in high school and is writing an essay about this subject so I was curious how you all get your information and make your conclusions.

[/b]

bolded......relate this to your daughter.....RESEARCH the backers ($$$$$) of the media sources she is studying.....then research those names for THEIR beliefs and platforms
they are promoting....money is the all mighty agenda in this modern world.

I prefer Stratfor,WSJ ,Business insider,WaPo,but I bounce around a bunch,,,just to keep it interesting.

26 Apr 2019 16:39 #6 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote:

Rick wrote: Do you have specific sources you look to for your news and or their view of individual topics? Or do you bounce around and not really trust any source while digesting information from multiple sides and then come to your own reasoned conclusions?

[/b]

bolded......relate this to your daughter.....RESEARCH the backers ($$$$$) of the media sources she is studying.....then research those names for THEIR beliefs and platforms

I prefer Stratfor,WSJ ,Business insider,WaPo,but I bounce around a bunch,,,just to keep it interesting.

Interesting that you list WAPO after saying research the backers. Does that mean you trust Bezos? I personally think of WaPo as the mouthpiece of the CIA.

26 Apr 2019 17:02 - 26 Apr 2019 17:04 #7 by homeagain

towermonkey wrote:

homeagain wrote:

www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniedenning/20...n-post/#621cabf23aab

DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS......that states it in spades....it is the WaPo slogan

[/b]

Interesting that you list WAPO after saying research the backers. Does that mean you trust Bezos? I personally think of WaPo as the mouthpiece of the CIA.

Sorry for the error in placement...did not want to lose link in the correction.....

01 May 2019 08:20 #8 by homeagain
WaPo…..DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS.....and they just shed a floodlight on the fubar that the A.G. ATTEMPTED to hide.....a letter from Mueller stating that A.G. misled, misstated
his findings....in a ploy to protect the POTUS.....the king has polluted,poisioned and prostituted
ALL that this nation stands for.....if the R'S remain unmoved....I,as an indy…I.will vote his ass out.....(IF impeachment doesn't proceed soon) Q3......STILL status quo for this king
to be dethroned.....jmo

01 May 2019 08:35 #9 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote: WaPo…..DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS.....and they just shed a floodlight on the fubar that the A.G. ATTEMPTED to hide.....a letter from Mueller stating that A.G. misled, misstated
his findings....in a ploy to protect the POTUS.....the king has polluted,poisioned and prostituted
ALL that this nation stands for.....if the R'S remain unmoved....I,as an indy…I.will vote his ass out.....(IF impeachment doesn't proceed soon) Q3......STILL status quo for this king
to be dethroned.....jmo

From an MSN article about the same story:

A day after Mueller sent his letter to Barr, the two men spoke by phone for about 15 minutes, according to law enforcement officials.

In that call, Mueller said he was concerned that media coverage of the obstruction investigation was misguided and creating public misunderstandings about the office’s work, according to Justice Department officials. Mueller did not express similar concerns about the public discussion of the investigation of Russia’s election interference, the officials said. Barr has testified previously he did not know whether Mueller supported his conclusion on obstruction.

When Barr pressed Mueller on whether he thought Barr’s memo to Congress was inaccurate, Mueller said he did not but felt that the media coverage of it was misinterpreting the investigation, officials said.

So was Mueller actually upset about the AG's interpretation or about the vagueness leading to the press going crazy about the lack of obstruction?

01 May 2019 08:59 #10 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic What Sources Do You Trust?

towermonkey wrote: the lack of obstruction?

What manner of tool would think that ordering McGahn to fire Mueller, and then to lie about having been ordered to fire Mueller, is not obstruction?

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds