Vote by Mail

09 Apr 2020 13:37 #1 by koobookie
Vote by Mail was created by koobookie
Trump has stated more than a few times in the past couple days that mail voting is ripe for fraud. In Colorado, there has not been any indication that voter fraud via mail is happening. From where does he get his facts on this issue?

There was a wonderful bit of irony when, on Tuesday, Trump was questioned by a reporter about the fact that he was condemning mail voting while he was himself voted in Florida via mail.

Are Trump and the GOP afraid of voting by mail? Are they fearful that their majority and power will be gone if mail voting is enacted nationwide?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Apr 2020 13:51 #2 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Vote by Mail
I would be all for vote by mail as long as national voter ID was used to verify the voters.

09 Apr 2020 13:59 #3 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Vote by Mail
I agree, Koobookie, everyoneshould do what President Trump did. Apply for an absentee ballot, get it in the mail, then vote. Do you have a problem with that?

09 Apr 2020 14:35 #4 by koobookie
Replied by koobookie on topic Vote by Mail
I do not. Why does Trump?

09 Apr 2020 14:56 #5 by ramage
He doesn't. What makes you think that he does? Again, simply apply for an absentee ballot as he did.
Very different from ballot being sent to an address without that individual applying for it, or even know that it is in the mail.

09 Apr 2020 15:27 #6 by koobookie

ramage wrote: He doesn't. What makes you think that he does? Again, simply apply for an absentee ballot as he did.
Very different from ballot being sent to an address without that individual applying for it, or even know that it is in the mail.

www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/0...usands-are-conspiri/

With voting by mail, “you get thousands and thousands of people sitting in somebody's living room, signing ballots all over the place.”

www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-sa...-ballots/ar-BB12lBFT

Trump this week dismissed mail voting as “a terrible thing” that is rife with fraud, and told voters that if they want to vote, they should do it at the polls. On Wednesday, he urged Republicans to resist calls to end in-person voting and conduct elections entirely by mail in order to avoid the potential spread of the coronavirus.

“Republicans should fight very hard when it comes to statewide mail-in voting. Democrats are clamoring for it,” Trump tweeted. “Tremendous potential for voter fraud, and for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans.”

www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/trump-ma...-except-when-i-do-it

Donald Trump was settling in for a rant about how “corrupt” mail-in voting is when a correspondent helpfully pointed out that he, himself, had cast a ballot by mail earlier this spring.

“I think mail-in voting is horrible,” Trump said in Tuesday’s coronavirus press conference.
“You voted by mail in Florida’s election last month, didn’t you?” the reporter asked.
“Sure,” the president replied. “I can vote by mail.”
“How do you reconcile with that?”
“Because I’m allowed to,” Trump said.

09 Apr 2020 15:38 #7 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Vote by Mail

koobookie wrote: Trump has stated more than a few times in the past couple days that mail voting is ripe for fraud. In Colorado, there has not been any indication that voter fraud via mail is happening. From where does he get his facts on this issue?

There was a wonderful bit of irony when, on Tuesday, Trump was questioned by a reporter about the fact that he was condemning mail voting while he was himself voted in Florida via mail.

Are Trump and the GOP afraid of voting by mail? Are they fearful that their majority and power will be gone if mail voting is enacted nationwide?

I've been getting my mom's ballot mailed to my house for the last 10 years and she hasn't lived in Colorado for that long. If I was a scumbag, I could easily fill out her ballot and mail it in. If you count on government to be efficient, accurate, and reliable, then you are not very bright. Not saying this applies to you, but it's the truth.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Apr 2020 15:49 #8 by koobookie

Rick wrote: I've been getting my mom's ballot mailed to my house for the last 10 years and she hasn't lived in Colorado for that long. If I was a scumbag, I could easily fill out her ballot and mail it in. If you count on government to be efficient, accurate, and reliable, then you are not very bright. Not saying this applies to you, but it's the truth.

Perhaps you should contact the government and tell them she no longer lives in Colorado. 10 years is a long time to let a mistake like that to continue.

I think the rate of voter fraud in Colorado via mail is exceptionally low.

www.denverpost.com/2017/09/15/colorado-2...proper-voting-study/

Ten of Colorado’s nearly 3 million voters in the 2016 presidential election may have cast two ballots, while 38 of them might have voted in another state.

Those are among the findings of a study released Friday and conducted by the Colorado secretary of state’s office and four other states that uncovered 112 total instances of possible improper voting during last year’s contest.

09 Apr 2020 16:08 #9 by ramage
Koobookie, You asked that there is no evidence of voter fraud in Colorado, Rick offered that a ballot addressed to his mother has come to him for 10 yrs. Rather than voting he discarded it.
Then you take the position that voter fraud is very low in Colorado.
Secondly by inference you state that is Rick's duty to alert the Secretary of State as to their error. How do you know that he hasn't done that?
Third, you never answered as to whether you agree that applying for an absentee ballot is the correct way to approach vote by mail.

Oh well, as is your wont, nothing to see here, move onto another topic.

09 Apr 2020 16:45 #10 by koobookie

ramage wrote: Koobookie, You asked that there is no evidence of voter fraud in Colorado, Rick offered that a ballot addressed to his mother has come to him for 10 yrs. Rather than voting he discarded it.
Then you take the position that voter fraud is very low in Colorado.
Secondly by inference you state that is Rick's duty to alert the Secretary of State as to their error. How do you know that he hasn't done that?
Third, you never answered as to whether you agree that applying for an absentee ballot is the correct way to approach vote by mail.

Oh well, as is your wont, nothing to see here, move onto another topic.

Given the fact that he said the ballots have been arriving for the past 10 years, it's a safe assumption that he has noted reported it. If I were in his place, that is what I would have immediately done. I would've considered it my civic duty.

Rick's situation is a single case. It does not necessarily extrapolate out to prove extensive voter fraud. As was referenced in the article I posted, voter fraud by mail is considered very low.

I think that the method currently in place by Colorado is working well, and is the best way, rather than using an absentee ballot. I used to love voting in person. It was a hassle, as sometimes I had to stand in the rain for quite some time, but now it's a breeze. I fill out the ballot and drop it in the drop boxes, which are conveniently located .

You never answered my question about why Trump and the GOP don't want mail in ballots.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds