BACK TO SCHOOL....but with contingency concerns

13 Jul 2020 08:23 #21 by Pony Soldier

koobookie wrote: Another question for those supporters of returning to in person school:

If you were a teacher, would you go back to teach at full school re-openings with packed class rooms?

Another ridiculous post.... now do a daily testing graph and overlay the two... that graph by itself is meaningless, but you know that already.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2020 08:26 #22 by koobookie
I have four close friends that teach at JeffCo and DPS. They are terrified. One is very close to retirement, and she is wondering if she should just opt out. Another is a substitute, and he thinks he's not going back. Just quit. The other two need their jobs - they have kids at home - and are concerned about the health of their families and what they will possibly be bringing back from the classroom into their homes.

What should they do? What would you do in their shoes?

13 Jul 2020 08:27 #23 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: It has already been proven that remote learning isn't working for many of the kids. But let's keep them at home, pretend they are learning, give them the new ultimate in participation trophies, a high school or college diploma. Graduate illiterates into the real world. And what happens when the kids who were still learning find out everyone gets promoted anyway? They will start slacking off too.

WE ALL know that H.S. is a joke,anything of REAL substance is not being taught,unless of course, U are in
an area that pays their teachers a GOOD salary....kids come out of H.S. with minimal abilities ( fort the
most part) and the colleges will back that up....

13 Jul 2020 08:29 #24 by homeagain

Pony Soldier wrote:

homeagain wrote: The hazard pay went to the HAPPY PALS of the king....$$$ that meant for just this kind if thing,LANDED IN
THE LAPS OF THE WEALTHY....look it up....NOT bs

You are making the claim...you look it up

NOT MY JOB TO EDUCATE U, if U want to be informed
individual U will make the effort....and not copy a blog or facebook entry.

13 Jul 2020 08:29 #25 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote:

FredHayek wrote: It has already been proven that remote learning isn't working for many of the kids. But let's keep them at home, pretend they are learning, give them the new ultimate in participation trophies, a high school or college diploma. Graduate illiterates into the real world. And what happens when the kids who were still learning find out everyone gets promoted anyway? They will start slacking off too.

What should we tell the parents of those children that die from the Covid virus, or the spouses of teachers that have contracted the virus?

A person can catch up on their education, but only if they are alive.

Come on, Fred, give me some of that Yankee American "Can Do" spirit that says "We can figure out a way to get around this! We can make remote learning work better than it has!" Other countries can do it, why can't we figure it out?

Maybe they can. Halfway through Spring Semester, the new order was thrust upon educators rapidly and with many different guidelines. Maybe after analysis they will find what works and what doesn't.
And maybe in this go around, they will actually hold back the kids who aren't taking this seriously.

But in my experience I always did better learning the material in the classroom, especially one with fewer students and less distractions. I have to imagine it will continue to be very hard to focus while at home.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Jul 2020 10:24 #26 by homeagain
coloradosun.com/2020/07/13/colorado-teac...=ade554a236&mc_eid=8

FROM the horses mouth...teachers weigh in on protocol....Colorado platforms sound fragmented and
fuzzy...NO uniformity. xout of pop up to get to article...

16 Jul 2020 07:02 #27 by Pony Soldier

koobookie wrote: I have four close friends that teach at JeffCo and DPS. They are terrified. One is very close to retirement, and she is wondering if she should just opt out. Another is a substitute, and he thinks he's not going back. Just quit. The other two need their jobs - they have kids at home - and are concerned about the health of their families and what they will possibly be bringing back from the classroom into their homes.

What should they do? What would you do in their shoes?

I would trust the science....

www.foxnews.com/media/dr-atlas-kids-back...nce-learning-failure

16 Jul 2020 07:56 #28 by ramage
What would I do? Go back to the school and teach!

Now your question started with "They are terrified."

Why are they terrified? Are they terrified of driving an automobile? Are they terrified of being diagnosed with cancer? Are they terrified of flying? Are they terrified of having a heart attack?

Answer: They are terrified because of the hysteria promoted by the media.

I whole-heartedly endorse the views of Scott Atlas, M.D. (referenced in Pony Soldier's post).

16 Jul 2020 07:58 #29 by homeagain
As a comparison....look at the stats of those states that threw open the doors to the economy...NO restrictions...what happened in those states? Do U not see the parallel of probably outcome if schools
are fully opened up?

16 Jul 2020 08:06 #30 by Rick

ramage wrote: What would I do? Go back to the school and teach!

Now your question started with "They are terrified."

Why are they terrified? Are they terrified of driving an automobile? Are they terrified of being diagnosed with cancer? Are they terrified of flying? Are they terrified of having a heart attack?

Answer: They are terrified because of the hysteria promoted by the media.

I whole-heartedly endorse the views of Scott Atlas, M.D. (referenced in Pony Soldier's post).

Great questions, but we know what terrifies them the most, another 4 years of Trump. Going back to normalcy would mean less misery, so there are strong incentives to extend that misery all the way to election day.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds