Defend the policies you'll be voting for, not the man.

10 Aug 2020 08:43 #21 by Pony Soldier
In most cases, a majority of the ice is already below sea level. It shrinks when melting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2020 18:48 - 10 Aug 2020 18:49 #22 by Rick

homeagain wrote: www.conservation.org/stories/11-climate-...qEAAYBCAAEgKIOPD_BwE

140 billion per year for US.... .2 percent of GDP....cost to rectify/mitigate climate change....THAT IS
POINT 2 PERCENT....not 2 percent....STOP DEFORESTATION and u decrease the amount of $$$
required... not difficult to do, just deciding it is worth it...FOR YOUR CHILDREN,GRANDCHILDREN

Do you actually believe that the 140 billion will have even a microscopic effect on the planet's temperature? I'd like to see the science behind that claim. I understand liberal logic pretty well and it always ends with "for the children" but the beginning and middle of the discussion is always fuzzy and lacking in facts. The other fun one that makes people feel good is "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!". Well, that something has to make a measurable difference if we really do care about the children. How will our children and grandchildren fair if we bankrupt the country trying to lower the earth's temperature a 10th of a degree? I suppose that is the ultimate answer... the more broke we get the more people will die. If enough people die from starvation, freezing, heat stroke, an suicide, the better off the planet will be.

So I say we spend 50% of GDP and just accelerate the inevitable.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Aug 2020 19:31 #23 by homeagain

Pony Soldier wrote: In most cases, a majority of the ice is already below sea level. It shrinks when melting.

[/b]

MELTING....Melting occurs when a solid is heated and turns to liquid. The particles in a solid gain enough energy to overcome the bonding forces holding them firmly in place. Typically, during melting, the particles start to move about, staying close to their neighbouring particles, then move more freely.

WHERE does the liquid go?.....

10 Aug 2020 19:41 #24 by homeagain
RICK...the answer is to SEEK OUT a solution,not just place it on the "to do list".....we have yet to achieve
intergalactic travel, EARTH is all we have....it is home. If your actually home were going up in flames, I cannot believe U would stand by and shrug your shoulder..."the insurance company will take care of it"(
which by the way...ASK all the Conifer residents that lost their homes to wildfire.when the reverse 911
did not work....they are STILL battling the insurance companies)

Where there is a will.there is a way....THE WILL is the woefully missing.

11 Aug 2020 06:11 #25 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote:

Pony Soldier wrote: In most cases, a majority of the ice is already below sea level. It shrinks when melting.

[/b]

MELTING....Melting occurs when a solid is heated and turns to liquid. The particles in a solid gain enough energy to overcome the bonding forces holding them firmly in place. Typically, during melting, the particles start to move about, staying close to their neighbouring particles, then move more freely.

WHERE does the liquid go?.....

And where was this ice to begin with? Was it in the water?

11 Aug 2020 06:15 #26 by homeagain
IT was a SOLID MASS (an ice shelf that calved naturally and shed SOME mass)

11 Aug 2020 06:28 #27 by HEARTLESS

homeagain wrote: IT was a SOLID MASS (an ice shelf that calved naturally and shed SOME mass)

Glacial ice is frozen water, soil and rock and entrained gases. Soil and rock will displace water, gases will return to the atmosphere, ice will melt becoming water again. Only the soil and rock make an impact on ocean levels. So all soil and rock washed to the ocean by streams and glaciers causes sea level rise, not melting ice to any real degree. There is truth, live with it.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

11 Aug 2020 06:53 #28 by homeagain
Gases released..WHAT KIND, are they contributing to climate change?...REGARDLESS of the material,
sea LEVELS will change....

Let me give u an example IN REAL LIFE....my brother has a cabin RIGHT ON the Salcha River,which is about an hour's drive outside of Fairbanks. He lives down river (about a 45 minute boat ride)...this
site is accessible by boat or plane ONLY(or snow machine in winter)...when it rains (and is has been an
EXTREMELY rainy summer)the river goes above flood stage (this ALSO occurs during spring break up
in May)...the river is SWOLLEN with debris,fast running water,so U better be able to "read the river" or U
are screwed.,.SEVERAL times he has had to hustle his rear to protect his cabin from being inundated with
water....piling furniture on top of each other ,re arranging elec.stuff.ect.....he just "escaped" a huge mess
when the water got to ONE INCH below his cabin's raised flooring./foundation.

HOW is this scenario any different than sea levels rising because of melting "continents" of ice?

11 Aug 2020 06:57 #29 by HEARTLESS

homeagain wrote: Gases released..WHAT KIND, are they contributing to climate change?...REGARDLESS of the material,
sea LEVELS will change....

Let me give u an example IN REAL LIFE....my brother has a cabin RIGHT ON the Salcha River,which is about an hour's drive outside of Fairbanks. He lives down river (about a 45 minute boat ride)...this
site is accessible by boat or plane ONLY(or snow machine in winter)...when it rains (and is has been an
EXTREMELY rainy summer)the river goes above flood stage (this ALSO occurs during spring break up
in May)...the river is SWOLLEN with debris,fast running water,so U better be able to "read the river" or U
are screwed.,.SEVERAL times he has had to hustle his rear to protect his cabin from being inundated with
water....piling furniture on top of each other ,re arranging elec.stuff.ect.....he just "escaped" a huge mess
when the water got to ONE INCH below his cabin's raised flooring./foundation.

HOW is this scenario any different than sea levels rising because of melting "continents" of ice?

Glacier farts.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

11 Aug 2020 19:29 #30 by Rick

homeagain wrote: If your actually home were going up in flames, I cannot believe U would stand by and shrug your shoulder..."the insurance company will take care of it"(
which by the way...ASK all the Conifer residents that lost their homes to wildfire.when the reverse 911
did not work....they are STILL battling the insurance companies)

Where there is a will.there is a way....THE WILL is the woefully missing.

Horrible analogy, sorry. We know how to put out fires, there's plenty of different ways to put them out but we can never prevent all of them from happening. I'm sure if we spend enough money and push enough people into the poor house and into the grave we could possibly make a small change in the earth's temperature, but we can't prevent huge forest fires, volcanoes, solar activity, or anything else that is out of our control. Science is constantly changing and evolving over the decades but now suddenly climate science is 100% accurate and there is no room for debate on it.

My personal belief is that it has become the very best way to control the lives of everybody on the planet... do as we say, buy what we say, live how we say, and you will save the planet. There really isn't any other way that kind of global control could happen... well, maybe a virus...

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds