CBS News: US Troops Evacuating Embassy

13 Aug 2021 17:16 #11 by ramage
Fred,
President Trump's plan was to have the troops out by May 15th. He also told the Taliban that he would countenance any attacks on U.S. personnel. If so hellfire would rain down upon their villages.
For whatever reason Biden pushed the withdrawal back to August and we are witnessing the results.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2021 19:12 #12 by Rick
I think we will be very lucky if we get everybody out alive and that embassy will probably be destroyed.

If we learned anything, it should be that we can't start a war we don't intend to fight as if all our lives depended on winning it. Winning a war means killing a lot of innocent people, but we thought we could just strategically kill the bad guys and go home.

My fear now is that we just made the Taliban and Al-Qaeda much much stronger since they have a shit ton of weapons that we just left them. We have a wide open border now and I think we are also ripe for future terrorist attacks. I hope not, but it's never been easier to get in.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

13 Aug 2021 21:11 - 13 Aug 2021 21:28 #13 by FredHayek
The Taliban have more Blackhawk helicopters now than 166 nations. ISIS Deja Vu? Everyone is comparing this to Saigon, but what if it becomes Carter and the Iranian hostages again?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Aug 2021 14:34 #14 by FredHayek
Bad look for the White House. Forcing the Pentagon and State Department to handle the media for Afghanistan while they are on vacation. The Buck is passed down?

14 Aug 2021 15:40 #15 by homeagain

14 Aug 2021 15:43 #16 by FredHayek
The White House has increased troop levels. They will now deploy 2000 more, including the 82nd Airborne. Ironically the US was holding Afghanistan last year with only 2500 troops. Another failed "Vietnamization" campaign? Nixon's plan failed in 1975. Trump/Biden's failed in 2021.

14 Aug 2021 17:32 #17 by ramage
Fred,
Trump's plan for evacuation of U.S. troops did not fail, it was never instituted by Slow Joe's administration. Rather the Taliban was given 3 months to regroup and recruit more fighters.

14 Aug 2021 18:15 #18 by Thumper100
So what the hell have our troops been doing there for the past 20 or so years? After 20 years of being there and the afghan troops roll over and play dead? This isn't just on Biden, this is on all of the administrations from Bush thru Biden. If 20 years wasn't enough then I doubt 5, 10 or 20 more years would have changed things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain

14 Aug 2021 19:00 #19 by FredHayek
Update: US air strikes against Taliban forces advancing on Kabul. Afghanistan Army forces crossing the Iranian border with US purchased vehicles and equipment. So billions of taxpayer dollars are upgrading the Taliban and Iranian military.

15 Aug 2021 06:38 #20 by homeagain
www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/15/...WwmdXRtX2NhbXBhaWduP

TALIBAN enter Kabul...the UNDER ESTIMATION by non forward thinking leaders,.did they not review the
news footage of the fall of Saigon,AND LEARN...sooner is better, the timelines they were ASSUMING were
so off,even an untrained citizen could see what the ultimate outcome was going to be....understand the odds and calculate for the worst,hoping for the best.:angry:

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds