CBS News: US Troops Evacuating Embassy

15 Aug 2021 08:03 - 15 Aug 2021 08:03 #21 by FredHayek
It appears that the Taliban are negotiating a peaceful transfer of power as they surround Kabul. Expect a stream of refugees to the nations in the region. The White House? They are still officially on vacation. President Biden has said it was time to go and he didn't want to leave this occupation for the next administration.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2021 08:13 #22 by FredHayek
Another intelligence failure for the NSA and CIA? President Biden had told us the Afghan Army would be able to defend against the Taliban for months after we left. Weeks later, they are in Kabul suburbs. A few weeks back, people were trying to tell me the Chinese military was a force to be reckoned with, I said I want to see some proof. They haven't done much since Korea. I was told "trust the intelligence". We were told the same about the Afghan Army, they are one of the largest forces in the region, most up to date equipment, well trained by NATO, but they melted away like ice cream on a hot day. Remember when the American trained Iraqi Army did the same against ISIS?

15 Aug 2021 16:09 #23 by FredHayek
China and Russia have to be toasting the fall of Kabul. Our allies in Taiwan and Ukraine have to be worried that the Biden Administration is incapable of protecting them from their historic rivals. Leading from behind is back in vogue in DC. :atlas: :icecream: Who will the White House bomb next month just to show they aren't impotent?

15 Aug 2021 16:38 #24 by homeagain
AHEM,U R conveniently forgetting '"Mission Accomplished"....which was the joke of the century. BUSH on
down to Biden have this on their shoulders.(so WHAT does that tell you about OUR choices of POTUS?)

15 Aug 2021 16:46 #25 by ramage
The major reason that the USSR left Afghanistan was money. They couldn't afford to be there any longer.
I don't see that situation happening in the U.S.
The question in my mind is where will Biden draw the line. Will he acquiesce to China on the issue of Taiwan? Will Iran be allowed to become a nuclear power? To name but two.
He will have a full plate when he returns from his vacation.

15 Aug 2021 16:50 #26 by ramage
There are reports of American citizens being trapped in Kabul and other parts of Afghanistan, if they are taken prisoner, what then? Iran all over again?

15 Aug 2021 17:23 #27 by FredHayek
Good news everyone! The CDC has issued an eviction moritarium for Kabul. The American ambassador can reoccupy the embassy instead of the beleaguered airport. :whistle:

15 Aug 2021 18:56 #28 by FredHayek
President Biden's people says he will make a speech about the fall of Afghanistan in a few days. Anyone else have the sense that Joe is ill?

15 Aug 2021 20:59 #29 by ramage
Is this what insurrection looks like?

16 Aug 2021 07:53 #30 by FredHayek
Bad optics? Kabul falls. The President and his Press Secretary are both still on vacation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds