CBS News: US Troops Evacuating Embassy

12 Aug 2021 12:20 #1 by FredHayek
American troops are being sent to Kabul to help evacuate the US embassy there. Sounds like Afghanistan is falling faster than predicted. Possible war crimes as the Taliban is being accused of using firing squads to kill surrendering government troops. President Trump started the drawdown of US troops. The Biden administration will finish the withdrawal.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2021 15:11 #2 by FredHayek
Britain is also sending troops to help evacuate Britons. And the Biden administration has asked the Taliban to please not attack the US embassy. Will we see helicopters taking off from the embassy as Kabul falls? And guesses on when this happens? Before the 20th anniversary of 9/11? I do wonder if China is involved. The Taliban has been talking to Beijing, plus you have to think Xi would love to see America "lose face".

12 Aug 2021 15:22 #3 by FredHayek
The US spent 88 billion dollars training the Afghan army for decades. It collapsed in less than a few months.

12 Aug 2021 19:14 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I hope you're not gonna say our military sucks because they didn't train the Afghan Army well enough.

Who else on here besides me knew this was going to be the eventual end of our invasion of Afghanistan?

12 Aug 2021 19:47 #5 by ramage
Wayne,
It is not the end.
Please see the thread "Biden's Accomplishments Part 2"

13 Aug 2021 06:57 #6 by homeagain
www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/13/af...ps-to-aid-evacuation

JUST AS PREDICTED...Deja vue....chaos,confusion,catastrophe,......THROWBACK to Nam.

13 Aug 2021 09:53 #7 by FredHayek

Wayne Harrison wrote: I hope you're not gonna say our military sucks because they didn't train the Afghan Army well enough.

Who else on here besides me knew this was going to be the eventual end of our invasion of Afghanistan?

I don't know why the Afghan Army is failing. Maybe corruption in the ranks? When ISIS took over Iraq, they found one problem was ghost soldiers. Commanders would look the other way when soldiers deserted and not admit it to their bosses so they could keep the missing soldiers wages. If they were doing that in Afghanistan, those full wallets won't help them when those same officers are beheaded in the town square.
You would think the threat of death for them and their families would encourage the Afghan Army to fight harder.

13 Aug 2021 15:52 #8 by ramage
Wayne
You must have been prescient regarding Afghanistan. The U.S. and allies sent in troops after 9/11 to get Osama. I was in complete accord with that decision. After theTora Bora bombing I assumed that the troops would be recalled.
Once Bush started nation building I realized that this was what he intended all along.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
I did not give him that second opportunity.

13 Aug 2021 16:05 #9 by FredHayek
It is interesting, so much of what President Trump did was immediately "corrected" by President Biden. Except Trump's Afghanistan withdrawal was allowed to continue. There were less than 3000 US troops remaining in Afghanistan bolstering the Afghan Army.

13 Aug 2021 16:06 #10 by FredHayek
Two years after the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan, the Soviet Union ceased to exist. Hope we won't see the same thing here.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds