Chinese Spy Balloon Over Montana

02 Feb 2023 22:43 #1 by FredHayek
The US has decided to let it continue to wander across the continent. Good strategy? There was some concern that shooting it down might damage property below.
Concerned? Or think this is no different than a Chinese spy satellite.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2023 07:33 #2 by Freezeman
I hope that it has been investigated to know that it does not contain or is dispensing possible chemical/biological substances. I don't think we can allow this to continue and we should try to safely capture it.

03 Feb 2023 12:09 - 03 Feb 2023 13:55 #3 by homeagain
I just finished listening to the pentagon 30 minutes worth......NO real info provided,other than they r monitoring it and they have decided ,because of it's size (three buses worth),that shooting it done would
cause poss. real damage to infrastructure or people. They continue to indicate, they access nothing is serious......WHAT???? flight over bases and nuke sites (gathering info?),they indicate the satellites they have launched,and there r MANY....would provide better info???? WHAT??? SHOT THE THING DOWN OVER A SPACE THAT IS WIDE OPEN. T here is a decided LACK OF TRANSPARENCY AND I AGREE WITH THE PAST DEFENSE SECTY.......NO, U WILL NOT ENTER OUR AIR SPACE AND PROCEED AS IF IT IS OK.
(bring down whole, so we can examine and understand wth their r up to.)......it is w-a-y too weird ,even tho it is not an anomaly....been done numerous times before....(i was surprised at that).....

03 Feb 2023 14:57 #4 by ramage
"...NO, U WILL NOT ENTER OUR AIR SPACE AND PROCEED AS IF IT IS OK."

No. it is not in our airspace. The balloon is flying at 65,000 ft. Above 60k is considered to be in space.
Just as with the moon there is no formal international agreement as to the 60k limit, it is , however, accepted by all nations (USA included).
What does this mean? If we (U.S.) were to shoot down the balloon, the PRC would have justification to destroy our spy satellites which are in geosynchronous orbit over China.

03 Feb 2023 15:10 #5 by homeagain

homeagain wrote: I just finished listening to the pentagon 30 minutes worth......NO real info provided,other than they r monitoring it and they have decided ,because of it's size (three buses worth),that shooting it done would
cause poss. real damage to infrastructure or people. They continue to indicate, they access nothing is serious......WHAT???? flight over bases and nuke sites (gathering info?),they indicate the satellites they have launched,and there r MANY....would provide better info???? WHAT??? SHOT THE THING DOWN OVER A SPACE THAT IS WIDE OPEN. T here is a decided LACK OF TRANSPARENCY AND I AGREE WITH THE PAST DEFENSE SECTY.......NO, U WILL NOT ENTER OUR AIR SPACE AND PROCEED AS IF IT IS OK.
(bring down whole, so we can examine and understand wth their r up to.)......it is w-a-y too weird ,even tho it is not an anomaly....been done numerous times before....(i was surprised at that).....

[/b]

WELLTHEN, u r in direct conflict with the PAST DEFENSE SECTY WHO WAS INTERVIEWED AND STATED I WOULD SHOOT IT DOWN......(AHEM)

03 Feb 2023 16:18 #6 by ramage
I am not in conflict direct or otherwise with a past defense secretary (buy the way which defense secretary made this statement).
I pointed out that should the U.S. shoot down the balloon, the PRC would have ample justification for shooting down our spy satellites. The balloon is in space by a definition that is accepted internationally, our spy satellites are in space.
Do you understand?

03 Feb 2023 16:31 #7 by homeagain

03 Feb 2023 16:57 #8 by homeagain
S-O-O, from YOUR position....the REPUBLICAN STANCE WAS IN ERROR??? (what DOES THAT TELL U ABOUT THE PAST ADMINISTRATION?)..I still think u have to draw a line in the sand and stand your ground.
They r pushing limits, u (collectively) show that is NOT acceptable.

03 Feb 2023 17:58 #9 by ramage
What is it about my post that you do not understand? You stream of consciousness writing is difficult for me to understand. I will try my best to respond. ( I am sorry that you skipped the English classes on the writing of complete sentences.)
"S-O-O, from YOUR position.....the REPUBLICAN STANCE WAS IN ERROR??"
I made no mention of either republicans or democrats, to what are you referring?
".I still think u have to draw a line in the sand and stand your ground."
Unfortunately for your concrete thinking the issue is in space not on the ground.

It is humorous to envision you standing on ground suitable for drawing a line, staring into the sky and daring the PRC to cross it while you are standing your ground and waving your stick.

Also who is this Secretary of Defense that you are referencing?

Let's try this: "Comperhende?"

03 Feb 2023 19:28 #10 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: S-O-O, from YOUR position....the REPUBLICAN STANCE WAS IN ERROR??? (what DOES THAT TELL U ABOUT THE PAST ADMINISTRATION?)..I still think u have to draw a line in the sand and stand your ground.
They r pushing limits, u (collectively) show that is NOT acceptable.

I think the right are acting like a bunch of hysterical old women.
THAT TELLS ME ABSOLUTLY NOTHING ABOUT THE PAST ADMINISTRATION.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds