LADIES AND GENTLEMEN......lay your money down,guess the outcome

27 Sep 2024 07:36 #1 by homeagain
projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2024-election-forecast/

Who Is Favored To Win The 2024 Presidential Election?
538 uses polling, economic and demographic data to explore likely election outcomes.

Harris wins 58 times out of 100
in our simulations of the 2024 presidential election.
Trump wins 41 times out of 100.
There is a less than 1-in-100 chance of no Electoral College winner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Sep 2024 09:40 #2 by koobookie
Harris will win the popular vote by over 10 million votes.

Electoral college? I dunno.

We really need to get rid of the ancient, and grossly unfair, electoral college.

27 Sep 2024 18:44 #3 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote: Harris will win the popular vote by over 10 million votes.

Electoral college? I dunno.

We really need to get rid of the ancient, and grossly unfair, electoral college.

One big advantage to the EC is that it discourages Deep Red and Blue States from inflating the numbers of votes for their favorite candidate. And out of 200 plus years of voting the Electoral College and the popular vote agree. I think only three elections were won by the Electoral Vote only.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Sep 2024 08:51 #4 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: One big advantage to the EC is that it discourages Deep Red and Blue States from inflating the numbers of votes for their favorite candidate. And out of 200 plus years of voting the Electoral College and the popular vote agree. I think only three elections were won by the Electoral Vote only.

Five. Five presidents have won the electoral college and lost the popular vote.

The electoral college gives small states more power than they deserve. The vote of a person in Montana counts for more than a person in California. That's not fair.

Now there are only a handful of states that actually decide the election, so all the attention is on them, rather than the population as a whole. The winner take all scenario for the EV's is not a fair democratic solution.

If we keep the EC, we will have more mistakes selected for the office of president, like the mistakes of 2000 and 2016.

BTW - all my conservative friends are in favor of the EC. All my liberal friends want to abolish the EC. I'm pretty sure that is because my conservative friends know that, without the EC, the conservatives will never win the White House again.

01 Oct 2024 07:37 #5 by FredHayek
We are the "United States". The smaller States would never have joined up if they would have know high population States would run roughshod over them.

Most of the high population states are very urban. I don't like having cities force their will on rural America.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds