Poverty Increases Under Obama

12 Sep 2010 07:18 #1 by Nmysys
President
U.S. Poverty on Track to Post Record Gain Under Obama's Watch

In this June 2, 2010 file photo, job seekers wait on line to see potential employers at the Diversity Job Fair in New York. (AP)

The number of people in the U.S. who are in poverty is on track for a record increase on President Obama's watch, with the ranks of working-age poor approaching 1960s levels that led to the national war on poverty.

Census figures for 2009 — the recession-ravaged first year of the Democrat's presidency — are to be released in the coming week, and demographers expect grim findings.

It's unfortunate timing for Obama and his party just seven weeks before important elections when control of Congress is at stake. The anticipated poverty rate increase — from 13.2 percent to about 15 percent — would be another blow to Democrats struggling to persuade voters to keep them in power.

"The most important anti-poverty effort is growing the economy and making sure there are enough jobs out there," Obama said Friday at a White House news conference. He stressed his commitment to helping the poor achieve middle-class status and said, "If we can grow the economy faster and create more jobs, then everybody is swept up into that virtuous cycle."

http://o.seattletimes.nwsource.com/html ... erica.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Sep 2010 11:05 #2 by Travelingirl
hmmm...awfully quiet from the "share the wealth" gang. Could it be because the stimulus money secured all of those government jobs...that's right...nice, very nice.

12 Sep 2010 11:28 #3 by The Boss
Not an Obamafan here, but

are we really just moving forward under the proposition that all citizen actions under one president or the next are really ultimately the result of that president...or the congress...or those activist judges? Are we really that dependent on their regulation for the subtleties of our existences and is this even close to ok?

I feel like you need to back up a few steps, we have all given Clinton or Bush or Obama too much credit, they are just there to lead and govern...and again that to me means that they are there to fill in the gaps where we as a community or a society do not come together or function well....not set the precedent or do it all for us.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who bitches about Obama, Bush or any of the rest are really part of the "I can't do it on my own" crowd. When there is this much to complain about, we have let them have far too much power and influence, as there is much concern of locally. I suggest we start blaming ourselves for giving up this power over our lives.

Most are poor due to a combination of opportunity, ambition and others' greed. We really only have influence over the 1st and there is much debate there. I would not start debating federal programs when it comes to the poor and think that they will at this point to more than move more money into a federal bureaucracy, no matter how it goes.

12 Sep 2010 12:13 #4 by Scruffy
This was a really great article from the Editorial Page of todays Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_16039375

Here's a snip:

When we started writing for Perspective just about a year ago, we warned that the nation's economy was undergoing a huge transition. Twelve months later, it's becoming clear just how fundamental this shift in the economy is going to be.

You might say that the Great Recession has been followed by the Great Reset.

In this Great Reset, we will see a vastly altered relationship between housing, jobs and savings. In the pre- recession economy, housing ruled the day. Home construction, home finance and real estate brokerage made up a huge swath of economic activity. And homes were the primary savings vehicle for millions of families.

Today, we have entered a world where housing is an expense, not an investment. No longer can we buy a home expecting it to appreciate 5 percent a year, and count on that increase in home equity to fund our business start-up, kids' college, that trip to Paris and, oh yes, our retirement.

Nearly 2 million jobs in home construction and another 691,000 in home financing are gone — with little prospect of them coming back. A parallel situation exists in commercial real estate, where the drop in values could approach 50 percent, and new construction has slowed greatly.

The meltdown in construction, where unemployment is in the neighborhood of 25 percent, figures heavily in the high jobless rate. Many workers in construction are poor candidates for retraining for jobs in information technology or health care, where prospects are brighter.

A dimmer future for housing is one reason why economists at the International Monetary Fund think a permanently higher unemployment rate is in the cards for American workers.

The jist of the article is that the economy has to undergo a RESET, not a recovery. We'll never be back to the wonderful days of the 90's.

12 Sep 2010 13:17 #5 by Wayne Harrison
Nmysys, I believe your "sharing the information" may be a copyright violation. You can't just take the entire text of an article and repost it, particularly since you didn't even give the SOURCE of the article, or a link. I appears to be an AP article and they are VERY picky about copyright infringement.

12 Sep 2010 14:18 #6 by Nmysys
I copied this from a Fox News Article. There is absolutely nothing anywhere on FoxNews saying that I cannot share that information.

It was on the Front Page News. In Fact, FYI it says right at the bottom of the article, copy, e-mail, print, or share!!!

Now I not only get attacked but policed, by my critics. Nice try Wayne.

12 Sep 2010 15:40 #7 by Travelingirl
posteryoyo\n

Not an Obamafan here, but

are we really just moving forward under the proposition that all citizen actions under one president or the next are really ultimately the result of that president...or the congress...or those activist judges? Are we really that dependent on their regulation for the subtleties of our existences and is this even close to ok?

I feel like you need to back up a few steps, we have all given Clinton or Bush or Obama too much credit, they are just there to lead and govern...and again that to me means that they are there to fill in the gaps where we as a community or a society do not come together or function well....not set the precedent or do it all for us.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who bitches about Obama, Bush or any of the rest are really part of the "I can't do it on my own" crowd. When there is this much to complain about, we have let them have far too much power and influence, as there is much concern of locally. I suggest we start blaming ourselves for giving up this power over our lives.

But I thought Obama was the Messiah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOs75ZPY0Q

12 Sep 2010 15:49 #8 by Travelingirl
oops...wrong video...it's this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0drwfnGlF_E

12 Sep 2010 15:52 #9 by Wayne Harrison

travelingirl wrote: But I thought Obama was the Messiah...

That's what the right wing called him.

And how hard is it to hit the "YouTube" button when posting a YouTube link so the video will show up in your post???

12 Sep 2010 17:38 #10 by Blazer Bob

Wayne Harrison wrote:

travelingirl wrote: But I thought Obama was the Messiah...

That's what the right wing called him.

And how hard is it to hit the "YouTube" button when posting a YouTube link so the video will show up in your post???

[youtube:1u3kvm50]
[/youtube:1u3kvm50]

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds