What has Happened to Free Speech

21 Sep 2010 06:56 #1 by Nmysys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2010 07:19 #2 by outdoor338
Here is link to video of man being arrested for showing impeach obama sign at Alaksa state fair

http://vodpod.com/watch/4324079-man-ass ... obama-sign

21 Sep 2010 07:34 #3 by Wayne Harrison
Actually, he was arrested because he was carrying at gun at the State Fair. From a local newspaper.

Contrary to what many believe, the Alaska State Fairgrounds is private property and bringing firearms into the grounds “is not allowed,” Remaley said. “It’s just like going to Carrs or Fred Meyer, it’s private property. ... They apparently wanted him to leave, he wasn’t going for that.”

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/20 ... 414412.txt

We anxiously await your next crazy outrage....

21 Sep 2010 07:37 - 21 Sep 2010 08:10 #4 by outdoor338
I agree with what Nmysys says! He is right on this...people protesting against obama is OK. He is a bad president for this country! Liberals are going down in November. I can't wait till the liberals are out. :thumbsup:

21 Sep 2010 07:42 #5 by FredHayek
Not in this story, but I don't like when dissidents in the audience try to shout down a speaker. Maybe I am just too civil in this age, but let the person speak. You can yell your counterpoints after the speech is done. Shouting someone down seems to me like a tactic when you don't want the facts to be heard.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Sep 2010 07:48 #6 by Nmysys
Well, since they are the same video. I must assume that he brandished the gun or it was seen by someone, but I can't see one anywhere in the video. The video lasts quite awhile and no one looked in it like there was anything wrong except the way the man was treated.

I saw no search or disclosure of a weapon when they brought him down and cuffed him. I wonder if that might have been the spin put on it afterwards since it was announced many times that it was on cameras. Just saying! Amazing how Wayne is always able to find the counterpoints.

21 Sep 2010 07:55 #7 by Wayne Harrison
You didn't read the article, based on your assumptions.

21 Sep 2010 08:07 #8 by Nmysys
Wayne:

I read the whole article word for word. I understand your point and agree that someone should not have a gun in a public place where it is not permitted. That is a given.

What I don't see here was any reason for the way the man was treated before they apparently discovered that he supposedly had a gun.

I get this sent to me from a friend, and then Outdoor posts the same video and before you can say :Shazam, remember that word? You already are prepared with the counterpoint argument. You must have done a lot of research this morning to prepare for this one. Good job!

So apparently the Freedom of Speech issue doesn't apply at all here, since they say this guy stands around on a corner doing this all the time, waving a sign demanding that we Impeach Obama?

Good, then I shouldn't fear the loss of my rights if I decide to wave a sign similar to it.

21 Sep 2010 08:15 #9 by LadyJazzer

Nmysys wrote: I get this sent to me from a friend, and then Outdoor posts the same video and before you can say :Shazam, remember that word? You already are prepared with the counterpoint argument. You must have done a lot of research this morning to prepare for this one. Good job!

Obviously more than you...

21 Sep 2010 08:25 #10 by Wayne Harrison

You must have done a lot of research this morning to prepare for this one.

Nope, didn't do a lot of research. All I did was look at the video and then Googled and found articles about it.. Took about 30 seconds.

You are correct. Freedom of Speech doesn't apply on private property when you are asked to leave and you don't. He stands on a public street corner with the sign all the time and nothing has happened to him.

He was treated the way he was because he was told he was on private property and asked to move and he didn't and disregarded the security officers and the woman from the fair who explained he was on private property.

And, I have to point out the lying sack of sh*t that Outdoor 338 is.

He first posted something to effect that "If he had a gun then he should have been arrested" and I posted a "Yeah That" smiley after his comment. THEN he went back and CHANGED his post to this:

"I agree with what Nmysys says! He is right on this...people protesting against obama is OK. He is a bad president for this country! Liberals are going down in November. I can't wait till the liberals are out." (he also had something about me agreeing with him, knowing my "Yeah That" was below his post, to make it appear that I agreed with him. He has since removed the reference to me).

It was exactly the kind of intellectual dishonesty I've come to expect from him.

As for the protester, I'm surprised he supports Joe Biden president.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds