What if 20 Million Illegal Aliens Vacated America?

06 Oct 2010 12:04 - 06 Oct 2010 16:03 #1 by ColoradoXprss
EDITED AT THE REQUEST OF MODS~~The MODS did not ask me to remove this due to the questionable author of the original information. This needed to be shortened to stay within guidelines of the fair use doctrine. Thanks!

Here is the link to the original news article regarding the topic of this thread.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frosty306.htm

Here is the original link from Tina Griego regarding the above news article which was not written by her.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... -daughter/

At no time had I intended to put information for discussion that was questionable in this forum. Although quite frankly some of the information is no doubt true as is some exaggerated in the first link by Mr. Wooldridge. You are welcome to read and decide for yourselves.

:Thanks:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Oct 2010 12:35 #2 by Scruffy
Do you have a link to the original article? I'd like to read it myself, as I just can't believe Tina Griego would write that.

Also, the article listed has conveniently left out the initial issue of what the illegals actually contribute to our economy, i.e., buying groceries, cars, paying rent, etc. It's never brought up again after the initial paragraph.

06 Oct 2010 12:37 #3 by Scruffy
Ah - never mind. It was another fake email.

Another illegal-immigrant-bashing e-mail is going around, a column filled with the usual mix of fear-laden generalization - Crime! Disease! Invaders! Destroyers of Civilization as We Know It! While such things, when sent to me, are destined for the delete folder, this one apparently has caused some confusion as some folks - clearly not my regular readers - believe it was penned by me.

The author's byline is obvious, but some people were thrown because the first sentence refers to a recent interview I did with Mexican journalist Evangelina Hernandez. Hernandez told me the Mexican government was failing its poorest citizens and therefore losing its "best hands." But, she argued, it is ignorant to suggest illegal immigrants do not contribute to our economy. They buy groceries, food, pay rent and taxes, she noted, asking "and what happens to your country's economy if 20 million people go away?"

A good question, the cyber-column's author responds. He then answers it by apparently pulling numbers from the air. The column is a one-sided statistical slam, equal parts fiction and fear, not a single source reference. I especially like the part about the 12,000 gang members disappearing in Denver alone, as well as "Denver's four percent unemployment rate would vanish as our working poor would gain jobs at a living wage."

I don't normally waste time on this kind of nonsense, but I received an e-mail from an old family friend on the matter. She, too, believed I had written the column, and she applauded my courage. She said more people needed to speak the truth. She said my mom and dad would be proud. With that, the misunderstanding moved from comical to sad.

06 Oct 2010 12:43 #4 by Cat Crap Hill
Here's the REAL Tina Griego article. The other is from a right-wing blogger.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... est-hands/

06 Oct 2010 12:48 #5 by LadyJazzer
You can hear the surprise in *MY* voice...

:pop

06 Oct 2010 13:13 #6 by FredHayek
It would have good & bad effects. If you were a landlord in Denver, expect 20% or more fewer customers. Expect to pay more on home improvement projects. I hired painters and carpet people through Home Depot and both crews spoke only rudimentary English. And sales tax receipts would certainly go down.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Oct 2010 13:17 #7 by ColoradoXprss

Cat Crap Hill wrote: Here's the REAL Tina Griego article. The other is from a right-wing blogger.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... est-hands/

Thanks, CPH...I merely copied and pasted from an email sent to me by a colleague... although I did click on the links to make sure they worked and then edited to reflect the ones that no longer were valid.

06 Oct 2010 13:18 #8 by ColoradoXprss

Scruffy wrote: Ah - never mind. It was another fake email.

Another illegal-immigrant-bashing e-mail is going around, a column filled with the usual mix of fear-laden generalization - Crime! Disease! Invaders! Destroyers of Civilization as We Know It! While such things, when sent to me, are destined for the delete folder, this one apparently has caused some confusion as some folks - clearly not my regular readers - believe it was penned by me.

The author's byline is obvious, but some people were thrown because the first sentence refers to a recent interview I did with Mexican journalist Evangelina Hernandez. Hernandez told me the Mexican government was failing its poorest citizens and therefore losing its "best hands." But, she argued, it is ignorant to suggest illegal immigrants do not contribute to our economy. They buy groceries, food, pay rent and taxes, she noted, asking "and what happens to your country's economy if 20 million people go away?"

A good question, the cyber-column's author responds. He then answers it by apparently pulling numbers from the air. The column is a one-sided statistical slam, equal parts fiction and fear, not a single source reference. I especially like the part about the 12,000 gang members disappearing in Denver alone, as well as "Denver's four percent unemployment rate would vanish as our working poor would gain jobs at a living wage."

I don't normally waste time on this kind of nonsense, but I received an e-mail from an old family friend on the matter. She, too, believed I had written the column, and she applauded my courage. She said more people needed to speak the truth. She said my mom and dad would be proud. With that, the misunderstanding moved from comical to sad.

:Thanks: Scruffy...

06 Oct 2010 14:04 #9 by RenegadeCJ
What if 20 million illegals left, and we let back in 20 million legal immigrants/temporary workers.

I say we would be better off. Nobody living in the shadows....plus we would know everyone here. Nobody would be afraid to be found out for being here, and so they wouldn't accept employment with companies who take advantage of that fact.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

06 Oct 2010 14:16 #10 by FredHayek
And legal workers would have a bigger stake in making America better because they know they can stay here instead of facing arrest every day.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds