What if 20 Million Illegal Aliens Vacated America?

08 Oct 2010 07:31 #31 by FredHayek

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Saudi Arabia and much of the Middle East have a work programs that support the use of expatriates to do everything form janitorial, street sweeping, gardening, construction, maid service, taxi driving, shop keeping, etc., the kinds of jobs locals feel is beneath them. It is another form of business. Mainly they bring in people form Bangladesh, Sir Lanka, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines. Their pay relative to nationals or professional expatriates is miniscule, but in talking with some of these workers over the past twenty years, they still are better off here than in their home country. Work programs certainly can provide the manpower to do any job Americans feel too good to do thus making the argument or impression that America could not function without illegal aliens weak at best. There are lots of people out there who would come for work in the US.

Interesting idea, but there are lots of abuses in the guest worker programs you describe. I would like to think Americans would treat our foreign employees better. One other thing to consider, it would be politically unpopular to invite millions of foreign workers right now, but I would sure love to have a cute live-in Filipino maid. (I think the wife would not agree.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Oct 2010 09:08 #32 by Tilt
What if 20 million aliens vacated America. Then global warning
would be no problem. As we would probably gain 2000ft elevation.
Example Mt. Evans would now be 16,000 feet.Water melting-no problem

08 Oct 2010 09:28 #33 by Rockdoc

SS109 wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Saudi Arabia and much of the Middle East have a work programs that support the use of expatriates to do everything form janitorial, street sweeping, gardening, construction, maid service, taxi driving, shop keeping, etc., the kinds of jobs locals feel is beneath them. It is another form of business. Mainly they bring in people form Bangladesh, Sir Lanka, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines. Their pay relative to nationals or professional expatriates is miniscule, but in talking with some of these workers over the past twenty years, they still are better off here than in their home country. Work programs certainly can provide the manpower to do any job Americans feel too good to do thus making the argument or impression that America could not function without illegal aliens weak at best. There are lots of people out there who would come for work in the US.

Interesting idea, but there are lots of abuses in the guest worker programs you describe. I would like to think Americans would treat our foreign employees better. One other thing to consider, it would be politically unpopular to invite millions of foreign workers right now, but I would sure love to have a cute live-in Filipino maid. (I think the wife would not agree.)

h yes, there are abuses here in Saudi in particular. But like anywhere, the abuses are not universal. Furthermore there are laws that can be enforced when a employer is involved in abuse. I'm certain the US can do better. The other factor playing into abuse here is the short period of time since Saudi emerged from slavery in 1962. Some continue to have that attitude here in how they treat others, particularly servant types (disgusting). Indentured servants are still plentiful here. that does not change a expatriate work program being a viable option to an illegal work force.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds