Wiki= War Docs

24 Oct 2010 21:13 #31 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Wiki= War Docs

Becky wrote: and you are an ass.

This is a logical argument.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2010 21:14 #32 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic Wiki= War Docs
You either support a free press in this country or you don't.

24 Oct 2010 21:15 - 08 Jul 2011 19:16 #33 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Wiki= War Docs

Regards,
Major Bean

24 Oct 2010 21:17 #34 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Wiki= War Docs
I have not claimed, and will not claim, that our commanders are always correct.

Mistakes have been, and always will be, made in the heat of battle, whether it be in war or fighting a forest fire.

After the event, we need to know what really happened, so that we can determine what went wrong, and how to fix that.

During the event, it is totally counterproductive and puts our troops at a disadvantage to release inappropriate information that will help the 'enemy', and put our troops at increased risk.

IMO

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

24 Oct 2010 21:20 - 24 Oct 2010 21:24 #35 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Wiki= War Docs

major bean wrote: You people are not rational.
(As an aside: I served one tour in Vietnam as a grunt.)

Rational, so then you are ok with this, you don't have an issue with our men and women being in worst situation now than they were. What this will do is as bad as the Walker case.

24 Oct 2010 21:21 #36 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Wiki= War Docs
All of those worried about US laws, wiki leaks is an international organization that also post non US military documents.

For those who disagree about US military records being released, how would you feel if documents were released from China showing human rights violations & deaths were higher than ever reported? Likely the release of this information is against Chinese law.
Are you OK if it showed up on Wiki Leaks?

24 Oct 2010 21:23 - 24 Oct 2010 21:32 #37 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Wiki= War Docs

Pineguy wrote: You either support a free press in this country or you don't.

Free press does not include the releasing of National Security documents. So either you cannot read(which I doubt) or you just ignored the facts that I posted. Once those documents are declassified print them all they want to. If they do print any of these documents, of which all are classified, I hope they take them to court, they are found guilty, and fined hunderds of millions of dollars. They want freedom of the press that is fine, but not National Security documents.

Freedom of the press is the freedom of communication and expression through vehicles including various electronic media and published materials. While such freedom mostly implies the absence of interference from an overreaching state, its preservation may be sought through constitutional or other legal protections.

With respect to governmental information, any government may distinguish which materials are public or protected from disclosure to the public based on classification of information as sensitive, classified or secret and being otherwise protected from disclosure due to relevance of the information to protecting the national interest. Many governments are also subject to sunshine laws or freedom of information legislation that are used to define the ambit of national interest

I am surprized that you are not reading up or researching before posting, unlike you. You are smarter than that. They want information that is restricted, they use the freedom of information act. That simple./

24 Oct 2010 21:26 #38 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Wiki= War Docs
Who says that they are in a worse position than before? That is what I am asking you to lend some argument. What is it about these documents that put them in greater jeapordy? Specifically. Example.
We have heard the arguments that they will be in more danger. Now, tell us what it is, specifically, in these documents that makes your argument true.

Regards,
Major Bean

24 Oct 2010 21:26 #39 by Wayne Harrison
They’re crying alarm over this, as they always do in the case of every case of a leak. Certainly they did with the Pentagon Papers. In fact, in that case, they said that the damage to national security was so great that they had to stop the presses for the first time in our history, but the Supreme Court ruled otherwise, having heard testimony on that. And nineteen newspapers, altogether, decided otherwise and did print the papers, in what amounted to civil disobedience against the warnings of the attorney general. In no case was there any harm discovered in that case. And as for the releases in July, with all the warnings we heard passed on by the media, quite uncritically, no damage has been reported.

The Associated Press obtained a Pentagon letter reporting no US intelligence sources or practices were compromised by the leaks.

And, rhetoric aside, it's NOT as bad as the Walker case, in terms of identifying operatives in the field.

Here's what Wikileaks has to say about it:

http://wikileaks.org/media/press.html

24 Oct 2010 21:36 #40 by Wayne Harrison

navycpo7 wrote: Find all that released these documents, get a firing squad together and shoot them. They are traitors, they have endangered the United States and our Military. I have no sympathy. NONE

And how do you feel about the soldiers who committed the atrocities documented in the leaked material? Do you have sympathy for them or do you think they should be shot, too? After all, by committing those crimes (if the documents are correct), they endangered U.S. troops by fostering increased violence against U.S. forces.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds